Roster update (Day 1) & more...

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
A Scare, Some Bad News & Some Good News
(Roster Change & more)

Here we go again, folks, please MAKE SURE TO READ THIS ALL THE WAY TO THE END. This is gonna be a long one.

The scare:

We applied for visas for Galneryus and Insomnium months ago. As some of you may be aware, the most important category that defines whether or not a visa gets approved by our government is whether or not the band is internationally recognized. Thus, we submitted over 500 pages for each of those bands with evidence that shows such international recognition. Insomnium has headlined tours in the US several times, and thus have been approved for visas in the past. And while Galneryus may not have had a lot of attention in the Western world, they are a phenomenon in Asia - over half a million records sold and signed by major label Warner Music. We had no doubt their petitions would go off without a hitch.

After waiting for a couple of months, the government agency who shall not be named sends us a “Request for Additional Evidence” letter for both those bands. Those letters essentially mean we “didn’t provide enough proof that fulfills their criteria. Again, each petition contained over 500 pages of such evidence. It was all in there. We have since questioned whether or not they even looked through the packet in the first place.

Our visa guy (Marc Gessford, Play America Visas) has done hundreds of petitions over the years and he was appalled to see such big names receive those letters. But knowing we could submit a response, he crafted an incredible letter challenging their decision, and pointing out that everything they had requested had been there from the start. We went as far as including letters from third parties vouching for those bands to get their visas. These third parties were managers, label people, other artists, colleagues, etc. Without approval, the bands aren’t able to go for their consular appointment in order to have the visas “stamped” into their passports. Yes, the consulates overseas need appointments for artists to show up and bring their passports. Bureaucracy at its finest. Milton went as far as contacting the office of Senator Rich Blumenthal (CT, his state of residence), as he has assisted us with visa matters in the past. Their office immediately jumped in to try and assist getting those petitions approved.

The Bad News:

Even though SECRET SPHERE and ANCIENT BARDS have had their visa petitions APPROVED FOR WEEKS, the delays caused by said agency in processing visas across the board this year have caused the consulates overseas to be backed up as well. And because of that, neither of those bands were able to secure appointments at their consulate in Milano. We reached out to different consulates to request an expedited appointment due to urgent circumstances. We went as far as reaching out to the consulate office in Zurich (Switzerland) to try and help those guys get their visas. Senator Blumenthal’s office tried to step in again and help. Sadly, this was all in vain. We regret informing that those bands will not be making it to ProgPower USA, again, EVEN THOUGH THEIR VISA PETITIONS HAVE BEEN APPROVED. This is one of the worst situations we have ever been put in, as both us and the bands have essentially lost a large amount of money between non-refundable visa petitions, expedite fees for visa petitions and flights. We reiterate that the bands did everything within their reach to make it possible, as did we. We have no option but to announce both Secret Sphere and Ancient Bards will not perform at ProgPower USA this year for that reason.

Nathan and I have never faced such adversity in all these years, both when we did individual shows or united for days 1&2. This year has been a nightmare in terms of visas. The delays and the inefficient process have caused us headaches and losses, both financially and otherwise. We’re truly sorry for the changes, but again, we have done everything that was in our reach.

With all that said, we will continue our tradition of making lemonade out of lemons and have secured impressive replacements given how close we are from our show. We hope everyone understands the position we have been put in and enjoy their sets. Major kudos go to them for stepping up to the plate at the last second. Big thanks to both Secret Sphere and Ancient Bards for being pros throughout the entire process. We will make sure to get them over here sooner or later.

Onto the Good News:

We are happy to report that both INSOMNIUM and GALNERYUS both had their visa petitions approved and were able to secure their appointments in time. Insomnium was at their consulate this last week, while Galneryus will visit theirs later this week. This gives both bands enough time to have their passports returned and not miss our show.

We also would like to welcome Theocracy and While Heaven Wept to our show this year. Both bands are ProgPower USA alumn and deserve huge props for accepting the challenge and making arrangements to make this happen. Theocracy keeps getting dozens of requests year after year to bring their melodic power metal back to our stage. As for While Heaven Wept, two days ago they weren’t sure the band would ever play together again. When I approached them about doing this, they went above and beyond to make this happen for their US fans, one last time. I have zero doubt both bands will deliver sets that transcend expectations and will be remembered for a long time. Both bands will issue exclusive updates, expanding on the news.

Thanks everyone for understanding, and for still continuing to support us over the years. See you in two weeks.

Milton & Nathan

Shame that these situations continue to arise and cause so much stress and problems. Props to you guys for finding such solid replacements that were willing to step up in Theocracy and While Heaven Wept. I'm excited for WHW and also the other changes on Wednesday. To be honest, Wednesday and Saturday now are the days I'm looking forward to the most. Great job guys.

Speaking for my group --

1. Many thanks to Milton, Nathan, Glenn & Jen for all that you do!

2. We were excited about AB and SS. Please consider them for future years.

3. We are VERY EXCITED about While Heaven Wept and Theocracy. Great job adding them. Can't wait for the next two weeks to go by!!

Narrowly avoided complete disaster, but it's still a massive disappointment to lose two of the bands I was most looking forward to in the first two days. Perhaps the festival would need to just budget for the premium fees going forward. I appreciate that you guys are doing your best, and didn't ask for this, but I have to admit I'm not just upset at USCIS here. Fairly or not, having four bands fall off and two more barely make it in time, I have to admit it severely impacts my confidence in this half of the festival and the possible future of this festival after XXV.

Narrowly avoided complete disaster, but it's still a massive disappointment to lose two of the bands I was most looking forward to in the first two days. Perhaps the festival would need to just budget for the premium fees going forward. I appreciate that you guys are doing your best, and didn't ask for this, but I have to admit I'm not just upset at USCIS here. Fairly or not, having four bands fall off and two more barely make it in time, I have to admit it severely impacts my confidence in this half of the festival and the possible future of this festival after XXV.
Very harsh. I have attended until this year, fifteen straight Progpowers. Never have I seen a promoter and his crew and everyone else involved in the festival ever give less than 120% when it comes to providing the absolute best experience possible. Not to mention being a gold badge holder the last few years. More than worth it. I kind of take it personally when someone expresses anger or bitches about what they don’t fully have the knowledge. Also, the cost of all four days is a ridiculous bargain for 20 bands. Please do not rag the wonderful people who take care of us the entire festival until you know the whole story.

I appreciate that people want to be supportive, and obviously the primary obstacle is USCIS, but after a bear attack, it's more productive to examine what left you vulnerable to the bear than to complain about the bear itself. The promoters have told you themselves they did not anticipate the delays or premium fees that would be required. I've closely followed every update they've made available, and I feel like I've been supportive and patient with the changes up to this point. I'm genuinely trying to be fair to them, but yes, I'm upset.

I wish I weren't disappointed with the festival, but as I believe in honest feedback, and have not seen my point of view represented in discussions, I just don't think it would be right for me to pretend otherwise. I feel they made an honest mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. If they're going to continue Days 1 and 2, I just hope that they plan around what they have learned this year, perhaps signing fewer international acts so they can actually deliver on what they do book, without having to hold our breath until a week before the festival to find out which bands actually make it. These delays and higher fees are the new normal, and it would be insane to proceed as if they weren't.

Now it's time to listen to some Theocracy and WHW and try to get excited again.

I appreciate that people want to be supportive, and obviously the primary obstacle is USCIS, but after a bear attack, it's more productive to examine what left you vulnerable to the bear than to complain about the bear itself. The promoters have told you themselves they did not anticipate the delays or premium fees that would be required. I've closely followed every update they've made available, and I feel like I've been supportive and patient with the changes up to this point. I'm genuinely trying to be fair to them, but yes, I'm upset.

I wish I weren't disappointed with the festival, but as I believe in honest feedback, and have not seen my point of view represented in discussions, I just don't think it would be right for me to pretend otherwise. I feel they made an honest mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. If they're going to continue Days 1 and 2, I just hope that they plan around what they have learned this year, perhaps signing fewer international acts so they can actually deliver on what they do book, without having to hold our breath until a week before the festival to find out which bands actually make it. These delays and higher fees are the new normal, and it would be insane to proceed as if they weren't.

Now it's time to listen to some Theocracy and WHW and try to get excited again.
Man, you just don’t get it.

I personally love the international flare that Glenn brings to the festival and while it has been an odd year it's still exciting to have bands from Sweden, Japan, Finland and other countries playing here. Where else are we going to get exclusive sets and one off shows of bands that would otherwise never get the opportunity to play in the USA? Bands like Secret Sphere and Ancient Bards aren't going to tour the USA let alone get an opportunity to play in the USA if it wasn't for Glenn's efforts. I applaud what he's doing as well as Nathan and Milton. I say stick to the formula that's made ProgPower what it is today.

Reactions: Kez and Blackcastle
JTM288,

I completely understand disappointment, frustration, and anger in what happened this year. As a fan, you have every right to express your opinion provided it is in a constructive way. We pride ourselves on being transparent so the fans see the full picture. As a reminder:

Iron Mask lost their singer. Unable to apply for visa for new vocalist.
Pretty Maids lost their drummer. Unable to apply for a visa for new drummer. Hell, the rest of the band's visas were approved.
Wind Rose- Had full tour booked. Their booking agent and professional visa company did their visa application. Unable to satisfy USCIS request regardless of time still available.

None of these were things were in our control.

You read the circumstances regarding the application for Insomnium and to a lesser extent, Galneryus. Instead of seeing the insanity in what happened and just how hard Milton and Nathan worked to successfully correct that, you choose to go with the "you should have planned better" option. Fair enough. You bought a ticket and thus, you are allowed to be an armchair quarterback. It's your right.

I also understand you do not care about Milton and Nathan spending an additional $10,500 on Secret Sphere and Ancient Bards out of their own pocket because they care about the fans and the product. Honestly, they could have just canceled them two months ago and basically gotten the same reaction from you and saved a lot of money. Based on our visa application history, they did everything correctly that worked previously. You disagree with that. Once again, you have the right to express your thoughts just as I have the right to listen carefully to some of them and dismiss others.

As I said, new measures will be put in place to hopefully prevent situations that arise unexpectedly. However, jacking the price up an extra $30 to cover expedites for all bands will not be a part of it. I built ProgPower USA on international bands and that will continue to be the focus these next five years. I am advising you now that that not everything will go smooth ever year regardless of extensive planning. If these circumstances are not acceptable to you going forward, you have the right to cast your vote against us by not attending the festival. I wish you the best.

Glenn

Glenn, Milton, and Nathan. Thanks so much for what you do because clearly its for the love of art, music, and us than it is for anything else.

To Theocracy and While Heaven Wept: Welcome (back) to ProgPower USA, where you will always be family.

Edit: 500 pages of evidence per band. That boggles the mind not only in the amount of material, but in the amount time it must have taken to put it all together. Surely nothing would have satisfied such small minded bureaucrats who seem to realize their power, no matter how unjust, by saying "no".

** This reminds me of the movie "Ikiru" directed by Akira Kurosawa (1952). If you like classic films, then this is a good one & you'll make the connection.

Last edited:
Here's a Facebook post from Play America, aka "visa guy" Marc Gessford:

I was hoping I could add my two cents to Milton's post much earlier than this but It's been a hell of a day (nothing visa related) and this is the first chance I've had to sit down., Here it goes....

The very early year started out great and I was getting USCIS approvals in record time--in two cases the approval was done 2 days after the USCIS received the petition and paperwork. That stopped by the end of February. Since then, its been by far the most stressful year in the 12 years I've been doing visa work. Let me be clear, I have not received denials. What I have experienced is nothing but trouble with the USCIS. If it could be fucked up, they fucked it up. I have spent more time on the phone with the USCIS this year than all other years combined. Right now, I am too tired to go through the Mueller-report length list of shit that hit the fan because of the USCIS this year.

I address myself to the chaotic shit-show that involved the bands for Days 1 & 2 of PPUSA. Due to the USCIS being incredibly slow this year, almost every band for Days 1 & 2 had to be applied for under premium processing after they were originally submitted under regular processing. Just so you know, the ADDITIONAL cost for premium processing is $1410 by the USCIS plus $40 in postage costs for over-nighting, etc. You do the math for the number of bands involved--again, that is in addition to the original processing fees and costs (and a little profit for me, etc.). Milton and Nathan spent a truckload of money to try and get you the bands announced. For Secret Sphere and Ancient Bards, despite ultimately getting the petitions approved, the US embassies the bands could go to couldn't get them in timely--the waits were months long. Money--lots of money--down the drain in addition to immense frustration and anger.

Galneryus. A band that has never been to the US before and literally has done 4-5 shows outside of Japan their entore career. Despite this history, I was able to amass almost 800 pages of media to submit. Objectively looking at what I was able to submit, I felt good--it was good. However, the USCIS issued an RFE. I'm not going to go through the details , that's a novella of its own. Suffice to say that the RFE made no sense internally--it admitted we satisfied some of the criteria bit not all of them. However, if you meet certain criteria, by definition, that should mean you meet certain other criteria. In addition, the RFE criticized things that were accepted by the USCIS is HUNDREDS of cases I have submitted before and received approvals for. Again, the complete lack of consistency reared its ugly head when one agent said something wasn't acceptable that was found to be acceptable in hundreds of prior cases. This was confirmed when the USCIS ultimately approved the band based primarily on a 14 page letter response I wrote that pointed out the inconsistencies and addressed the fallacies of the RFE. By the way, the amount of time I spent dealing with the RFE alone was about 20 hours when all was said and done.

Insomnium. One of my favorite bands and probably the band I was most excited to do given my fan-boy love for these guys. They were a shoe-in. They have toured the US many, many times and have been approved for P1 visas on each occasion. They had most recently been approved in 2017 for visas valid to the end pf 2018. Hell, I was "re-applying" literally 6 months after their last visas expired. I should be able to submit that they have been determined to be "internationally recognized " 5-6 times before and the USCIS shroud throw an approval at me. However, I am too paranoid for that so I did my usual overkill job and submitted what scientists refer to as a "fucking shitload" of stuff in support of Insomnium, But the USCIS issued an RFE. The RFE contained all of the inconsistent insanity that the Galneryus RFE had. Another 15 hours of my time went into that response when all was said and done. Once the RFE response was submitted, I emailed the USCIS on two occasions explaining to them the exigency of the petition given the impending date of the first performance and that the band needed their visas so they could land in the US on their way to Mexico on August 26. The USCIS responded on both occasions that the matter was still "under submission." Thanks. The approval was made literally at the last minute. The very last minute. Swear to God I was waking up every morning with a burning in my stomach and anxiety that was through the roof.

Let me be very clear about one thing: Milton busted his ass through the entirety. For every bullet I sweat, he sweat at least as many--probably more. We were communicating via texts, emails and phone calls multiple times daily for weeks. We bitched, we moaned, we all but held each other as we cried. No, really, when shit hit the fan, Milton grabbed the shovel and the sponge and got to cleanin' it up. His assistance with the RFEs was critical and he came through He involved his lawmakers and got people he knows to help us out.

So, what have we learned from this who experience? Nothing. Not a fucking thing. Nothing we didn't already know. The system is broken. The standards are fluid and subjective. The USCIS agents are undoubtedly extremely overworked and over-stressed and know only that no matter what they do, someone will criticize it. That there is too much work for the agents to do and it will undoubtedly only get worse. I wish I had good news but I don't. Its a struggle I cannot see easing at anytime in the foreseeable future.

The last point I'll make here is that I cannot fathom how Days 1 & 2 haven't sold out. The line up--even as currently altered--is killer. The focus here is that due to circumstances far beyond their control., Milton and Nathan have dumped a shit-ton of blood, sweat, tears and money into Days 1 & 2. While they do it for the love of the music, they cannot be expected to do it at a significant loss year after year. Hence, all I can ask is that if you don't want to lose what has become stellar full-show Days 1 & 2 of PPUSA--I remember when Wednesday was metal karaoke in Vinyl and Thursday was in a separate venue/club elsewhere in town with small-name bands--do whatever you can do to make all 4 days of PPUSA. PPUSA has 5 more years only--Glenn has made clear he is walking away after that. What happens then is a complete unknown but PPUSA may just disappear. If Days 1& 2 go away before PPUSA XXV, how that would affect Days 3 & 4 is also unknown. I have no information and do not speak for Glenn or suppose to even speculate as to what he would do--but my personal opinion is that he would not take over Days 1 & 2 again, especially when the audience has shown they will not make it successful. If the fest turns to just Friday and Saturday, how will that affect attendees as a whole? Part of the sell-out for Friday and Saturday is made up of people who go all 4 days now. If there only 2 days, those of us--like me--who travel far and at significant expense--have to ask if 2 days is worth it. If enough of us say no, then Friday and Saturday will suffer for it. So...if you love the fest, support it in its entirety.

Glenn,

Thanks for the response, it means a lot. I felt a need to vent. I know you guys have done your best in recent months to try to make it happen, and I really do appreciate it. It pains me that you guys spent all that extra money and it didn't turn out to be enough. I recognize that you, Milton, Nathan, Marc, and everybody else involved took the steps you believed were necessary and based on your extensive experience, expected to be successful. Thank you all for your efforts.

That said, I, as someone who had followed the festival for over ten years, is coming for the first time this year and hoped to become a regular, do feel that a bump in ticket price would be worth the security in knowing that we will get what we pay for. From my singular perspective, it's a drop in the bucket compared to travel and lodging. And yes, shit happens sometimes, I accept that. Increasing the price and these additional fees would not solve every problem, but I do recall Marc mentioning that if Pretty Maids already had their approvals at the time of cancellation, the drummer change would not have been such an obstacle. To hear that nothing new has been learned from this experience that wasn't already known, or that nothing would be done differently next year under the worsening immigration climate, would have to figure into my decision to attend in the future, as you suggest. I'm encouraged to hear that you have a few new measures to be put into place, with your vast experience in running this festival I trust that you have much better ideas than I do.

I absolutely accept that my perspective is one tiny blip on the radar compared to yourself, the regular attendees, and everybody who works so hard to make the festival happen. All I could have hoped for is to be heard, considered, and dismissed if I'm wrong. Thank you for taking the time to listen. It shows me why this festival has such a great reputation.

Glenn,

Thanks for the response, it means a lot. I felt a need to vent. I know you guys have done your best in recent months to try to make it happen, and I really do appreciate it. It pains me that you guys spent all that extra money and it didn't turn out to be enough. I recognize that you, Milton, Nathan, Marc, and everybody else involved took the steps you believed were necessary and based on your extensive experience, expected to be successful. Thank you all for your efforts.

That said, I, as someone who had followed the festival for over ten years, is coming for the first time this year and hoped to become a regular, do feel that a bump in ticket price would be worth the security in knowing that we will get what we pay for. From my singular perspective, it's a drop in the bucket compared to travel and lodging. And yes, shit happens sometimes, I accept that. Increasing the price and these additional fees would not solve every problem, but I do recall Marc mentioning that if Pretty Maids already had their approvals at the time of cancellation, the drummer change would not have been such an obstacle. To hear that nothing new has been learned from this experience that wasn't already known, or that nothing would be done differently next year under the worsening immigration climate, would have to figure into my decision to attend in the future, as you suggest. I'm encouraged to hear that you have a few new measures to be put into place, with your vast experience in running this festival I trust that you have much better ideas than I do.

I absolutely accept that my perspective is one tiny blip on the radar compared to yourself, the regular attendees, and everybody who works so hard to make the festival happen. All I could have hoped for is to be heard, considered, and dismissed if I'm wrong. Thank you for taking the time to listen. It shows me why this festival has such a great reputation.
Nicely worded daggers.

I personally feel that the crew is going about this whole visa thing the wrong way. They should have done there homework: 1. find out who the biggest metal fan is at the USCIS. 2, funnel ALL the applications his/her way along with 2 gold badges and 2 tickets for days 1 & 2 and they'll feel obligated to approve every visa so they can hear all this great music they've been missing out on. :) Problem solved