ROYAL CARNAGE APRIL MADNESS: Round #7: The final

rp.jpg

:loco: :Spin:

lurch70 said:
I mean, I am listening to the Mantle right now, just to make sure I am not goign crazy ... and this thing is maybe 20% metal ... then we have strumming acoustical passages all over the place ...

Now I am not saying this is bad music ... downer as hell and certainly not in the spirit of metal.

What exactly is the spirit of metal? Sabbath was downer music at times. Are they not metal? Basically you've pigeonholed every doom band and every band that uses acoustics as non-metal.

Just because a band doesn't uses falsetto screams, play fast as hell, and play the same song over and over again ala Slayer, does not imply un-metalness.

And whether Haughm agrees with it or not, Agalloch will always be classified as a metal band.

lurch70 said:
shit ... you created this monster ... fucking Agalloch again?

youngfr.jpg

From that fateful day when stinking bits of slime first crawled from the sea and shouted to the cold stars, "I am man.", our greatest dread has always been the knowledge of our mortality. But tonight, we shall hurl the gauntlet of science into the frightful face of death itself. Tonight, we shall ascend into the heavens. We shall mock the earthquake. We shall command the thunders, and penetrate into the very womb of impervious nature herself.

ROYAL PINKAGE is the name of this forum from now on.

Metal is thankfully beginning to devolve. It's got nowhere else to go, and so it is beginning to regress. Devloution is in progress. The day and age for traditional heavy metal being referred to as 'gay' has passed. We're on the downward slope. Chickens? Coming home to roost. Circle? Yep, it's full. Halleluiah.

:tickled:

I keed, I keed. Or do I? Mystery post. :loco:[font=&quot][/font]

I think it's ludicrous to accuse Agalloch of trying to add just enough metal to be accepted by metalheads, and to consider anyone that doesn't sound like alcohol injected thrash maniacs of being disingenous and/or running counter to the ideals of metal. And as Erik pointed out, both bands left draw equally from outside influences, and Agalloch have yet to completely dispense with any semblance of metal. :) And as for the downer comment, where does that leave doom metal?

J. said:
What exactly is the spirit of metal? Sabbath was downer music at times. Are they not metal? Basically you've pigeonholed every doom band and every band that uses acoustics as non-metal.

Just because a band doesn't uses falsetto screams, play fast as hell, and play the same song over and over again ala Slayer, does not imply un-metalness.

And whether Haughm agrees with it or not, Agalloch will always be classified as a metal band.

i don't listen to doom ... bottom line ... i like my metal entertaining ... not downer and "thinking" ... period.

lurch70 said:
i don't listen to doom ... bottom line ... i like my metal entertaining ... not downer and "thinking" ... period.

Your preferences weren't what we were talking about, though you are certainly entitled to them. Personally, I prefer emoton and feeling over the entertainment value.

We were talking about how you don't consider Agalloch as metal because they use acoustics and have "downer" lyrics.

rp.jpg

Winnar.

Oh yeah I guess I'll vote for Agalloch. I don't think they are very metal, but who cares, they are better than Burzum.

J. said:
Your preferences weren't what we were talking about, though you are certainly entitled to them. Personally, I prefer emoton and feeling over the entertainment value.

We were talking about how you don't consider Agalloch as metal because they use acoustics and have "downer" lyrics.

There is no deeper meaning behind my reasoning, I just don't associate the type of music they play with metal.

Believe me, I listen to and enjoy more emo and faggier stuff than Agalloch, just not in the metal realm. I like my Metal .... well fucking "metal"

I am not a very deep guy :loco: :tickled:

To qoute Artie Lange and AC/DC .... FIRE !!!!

Doomcifer said:
You guys argue about stupid shit. :loco:

Buncha women.

Hey, I am just trying not to let this forum turn too emo :tickled: :loco: ... gotta play rough sometimes.

catfight.jpg

Music as art > Music as entertainment. I don't listen to metal to keep me occupied, I listen to metal because it is in my soul. Emotion, atmosphere and these things all play into that. As much as I like Slayer, they aren't a very profound band and there are so many things I prefer over them for their depth and pure feeling. Is music entertaining? Of course, but that is hardly it's sole purpose and it is all that many bands have to offer, Agalloch not being one of them. Whether you want to consider them metal or not is about the silliest and most worthless argument to have, because in the end, it's what music is better, not genre categorizations.

(OMG anus.com reference) "Where normal "entertainment" seeks to create a circular pathway of concentration to fill time, art seeks to open a route through whatever exists to something more relevant to the valuation of being alive."

Wonderful quote that may explain my feelings on Agalloch and the moods they convey that some people simply don't "get."

(OMG anus.com reference) "Where normal "entertainment" seeks to create a circular pathway of concentration to fill time, art seeks to open a route through whatever exists to something more relevant to the valuation of being alive."

I am sorry but Agalloch and even Slayer are the last place where I would seek this validation.

Don't make me whip out a poster from despair.com :loco:

ANUS.com is pure ass. Sorry. I swear, Prozak's favorite link has got to be www.thesaurus.com

What you said was a lot better.

My major point, which was said by Erik, is just that a lot of the RCers don't/won't see anything released in the 90s and beyond as a timeless classic unless it's thrash or trad metal. And I was honestly curious as to why.

J. said:
My major point, which was said by Erik, is just that a lot of the RCers don't/won't see anything released in the 90s and beyond as a timeless classic unless it's thrash or trad metal. And I was honestly curious as to why.

For me it's probably because I lived through the stages where it went from very traditional (NWOBHM) to it's peak and heaviest times (death/thrash/black) ...

These newer bands trying to reinvent it and IMHO adding the downer themes and lyrical elements of grunge and this nu-metal movement to folky music does not equal metal.

This is my take on it ...

So, why exactly do you listen to music lurch? Does it ever make you feel anything besides the urge to bang your head and sing along? (aka happy emotions) Is it purely entertainment, and if so, why metal instead of something more suited for it such as pop? Do you find no deeper meaning within music than what is on the surface? (aka I hear this song and it makes me breathe in and just say "fuck man, I'm alive and nothing could be better) I just have a hard time understanding your approach to music, so please, enlighten me. Not trying to be judgemental or anything, I'd simply like to have a deep discussion on what music actually means to all of us here. I don't understand traditionalists and full-time thrash metal terrorists and their outlook on metal.