ROYAL CARNAGE APRIL MADNESS: Round #7: The final

again ... for the umpteenth time ... I listen to metal for certain reasons ... and I listen to other music (pop, jazz, classical, hip hop, disco, polka) for others.

I am far from the traditional metal head ... but I like my metal pure.

And another thing is if I am down and depressed I don't listen to something to mimic that emotion ... listening to downer stuff when you are down is self defeating.

So yes ... I try to pick stuff that is either just angry, fluff or generally entertaining.

I do get your point though and understand where you are coming from. I get lost like that in movies more so than music.

Two cents...

Music is a time machine. People say they don't take the timeframe of when something was released into consideration. To that I say WTF? To appreciate something that was ahead of its time, or when it revolutionized something should add to the overall effect of what you're listening to -- not necessarily become the pivotal deciding factor, but it should be considered IMO.

Otherwise I'd think you are just listening at face value. You would be equating everything as if it were all released in the same hour. Personally I factor in the era - holy shit, what Tony Iommi was doing? Randy Rhoads? Ritchie Blackmore? Slayer? Death? Bathory? Darkthrone?

To be fair, I think this tournament has worked out ok. I think Katatonia's "BMD" and Burzum's "Hvis Lysol" both stand as milestones. Bands like Drudkh have absolutely not - we keep mistaking one of the best albums of 2004 to be this revolutionary release when it isn't. Subjectivity be damned, let's apply some math: it's 12 months old and it's a clone. :loco:

Like I said, the top 4 artists worked out much better this time in this tournament. It could have gone either way with all the tie rematches etc. I am a fan of all 4 albums, and each one is a milestone release ("Pale Folklore" is on the cusp with it only being 6 years old), but to be clear, they've all had time to prove their worth. If you factor in the timeframe, the top 2 in my mind should have been "Powerslave" and "Ride the Lightning", but hey, it's a young audience.

If an album released 6 months ago had won this tournament, I would suggest we all shove cyanide pills up our asses now and switch on the radio.

If an album released 6 months ago had won this tournament, I would suggest we all shove cyanide pills up our asses now and switch on the radio.

If Drudkh had won this poll I'd probably have to boycott this forum for awhile... nah, I don't have the willpower to do that. I love you euroniggers and amerivunts all beyond rational reason; actually, probably because you entertain me.

I think Katatonia's "BMD" and Burzum's "Hvis Lysol" both stand as milestones.

I can understand and appreciate Burzum as a milestone ... but Katatonia? what exactly have they done that was so groundbreaking at the time?

This thread damn near gave me a headache. In times like this, NAD's philosophy sounds really fuckin nice to me - there are 2 categories: SUCKS and RULES! Except, when a competition like this comes into play, it's a sliding scale. Everyone's criteria are their own, trying to standardize them will only lead to bickering, may the best man win, etc.

Demilich said:
This thread damn near gave me a headache. In times like this, NAD's philosophy sounds really fuckin nice to me - there are 2 categories: SUCKS and RULES! Except, when a competition like this comes into play, it's a sliding scale. Everyone's criteria are their own, trying to standardize them will only lead to bickering, may the best man win, etc.

What's wrong with having a civilized discussion? I think a lot of the posts made here have been really interesting and intelligent

lurch70 said:
i don't listen to doom ... bottom line ... i like my metal entertaining ... not downer and "thinking" ... period.
You mean like Negurã Bunget isn't "thinking" but more like THRASH THRASH THRASH TIL DEATH WE ROKK WITH OUR COKKS IN OUR SOKKS

lurch70 said:
I can understand and appreciate Burzum as a milestone ... but Katatonia? what exactly have they done that was so groundbreaking at the time?
Heh, BMD is like Paradise Lost "Gothic" taken to absolute extremes, pretty fucking unique for its time. You won't find anything that sounds like BMD before it, but you will find about 5000 albums being heavily derivative of that style afterwards (Daylight Dies, Rapture, Agalloch, Forgotten Tomb, and so on and so forth)

Erik said:
You mean like Negurã Bunget isn't "thinking" but more like THRASH THRASH THRASH TIL DEATH WE ROKK WITH OUR COKKS IN OUR SOKKS

Negura ... is a special case. I found out about them and pimped them as fellow countrymen first ... then I fell in love with them. :Spin:

Agalloch
sheep.gif

Demilich said:

Yeah, but how fucking unbelievably boring if this thread only listed people's votes. [Apologies to Erik for having to do the counts]. :cool:

NAD only says shit about "sucks" and "rules" because if I agreed to it, he'd be knocking 20 promo reviews out the door everyday. :tickled: It would take him longer to type in the tracklisting than write the review. He's what my 3 year old would refer to as a "cheeky monkey". :loco:

That could work for the sister site, Royal Pinkage.

In fact, after we launch RC v.2.0.1, we can change the sub-forum to "Royal Pinkage" and just use emoticons for reviews.