Rules of death metal

1. Instead of saying "of course", you must say "of corpse". There are no exceptions to this rule.
2. Call everyone "duder", even your mom.
3. Don't listen to Six Feet Under.
4. Don't be gay.
5. Don't be Chris Barnes. (see rule number 4)
6. Have your birthday at Chuckie Cheese with all your death metal friends. Attempt to get little
kids to headbang with you.
7. Be "brutal".
8. Be "sick".
9. Get a job at a preschool and get all the kids to mosh, or no naptime!
10. If possible be "brutal" and "sick" at the same time.
11. Eat lots of marshmallow peeps, and throw up the horns while doing so.
12. Throw up the horns wherever and whenever possible.
13. Swear that "marshmallow peeps are death metal".
14. Talk only in your death metal voice.
15. Throw up the horns while doing so.
16. Glen Benton is God.
17. "I'm gonna kill you just because I want to..."
18. Moshing at a rave is not "death metal".
19. Krisiun owns you.
20. And your grandma.
21. Have Ramen noodles and beer together.
22. Chuck Schuldiner was more brilliant that Beethoven.
23. Stab anyone who disagrees.
24. Don't be Marliyn Manson. (see rule number 4)
25. Don't listen to In Flames.
26. Never wear corpsepaint.
27. Unless by corpsepaint you mean being covered in freshly killed blood.
28. When in doubt, blast beat.
29. Color choices for a band logo include red and only red. Nothing else will be permitted.
30. I mean it!
31. If you have twins, they will be named Azagthoth and Corpsegrinder.
32. Insist that blast beats improve everything.
33. Even sex.
34. Being vegan or vegetarian is not "death metal".
35. Cattle Decapitation still kicks ass.
36. Angela Gossow has more balls than you.
37. If your album cover doesn't have blood and/or other types of gore, it is not "true death metal".
38. When having your picture taken on a roller coaster ride, be the only one not screaming; and throw up the horns
while doing so. Failure to do so will result in death.
39. Bathing is only permitted once every 2 weeks, and must be in blood.

List made by Tyler Marsh

Hahaha. What? Just because Opeth have acoustic parts are they to be
considered singer/songwriter rock or what?

I don't know that much about metal, but imo I think it's Death when they
growl like Mike does, for example. But not necessary just Death Metal. Opeth
is more like Prog Death Metal? :)

In Flames is Heavy Metal, but they still have some calm songs.

Jude said:
To me everything is 'just metal.' I don't bother all this verbal wankery about infinitely complex and specific subgenres anyway.

Definitely agreed with Moonlapse's post.

I agree with you (and Moonlapse). Why is there always this need to quantify and classify music into different genres? Opeth is death metal...no wait...they're not death metal, they're progressive black metal...no, that can't be it...they're Gothenburg melodic neo-folk metal with a hint of death metal...no, they're actually doom metal with some thrash... :erk:

"Scene kids" piss me off.

annt said:
You mean this?
DGM-Misplaced.jpg

Shit, the picture doesn't seem to be working anymore. Oh well, it had the cover of an album by the Italian prog-metal band DGM. Ha ha.

Benighted Joe said:
In Flames is Heavy Metal, but they still have some calm songs.

In flames was melodeath, now they're just... rock influenced metal I guess.

If you have to find a category to fit them in, Progressive Death Metal would do nicely.

The problem with metal is that everyone wants to put a band under a certain label, so that if someone says they dig said band, some elitist can say "Eww, they are (insert label here), so they're gay". There are probably many bands I would enjoy that I have ignored to this point because the label they have recieved is something I perceive as being less than what I'm looking for. I generally am always looking for thrash, technical death, and progressive death, but because of said labels, I'm probably missing tons of good shit that is out there.

If I had listened to someone I know who is relatively knowledgable about metal, I would have written OPETH off as a doom band, when generally (there goes those damn generalizations, again), means slow and sludgy, which for the most part doesn't apeal to me. And then I would have missed out on what I have considered for some time to be the heighth of musical accomplishment.

Death Metal - Morbid Angel, Death, Nile, Decide (mostly just sheer fucking aggression)

Gothenburgh Death Metal - Arch Enemy, In Flames, At the Gates (aggressive but with melody)

NWOADM - Chimaera (new wave of American death metal)

Prog Metal - Opeth, Godgory, The Porcupine Tree (Death Metal, Black Metal and Prog rock influences, featuring Death Metal and "clean" vocals, and acoustic breakdowns. Generally goes against the grain of other sub generes of Metal)

That should be about right, but feel free to dispute it.

Nile and Death are technical death metal.

And no "The" Porcupine Tree are not metal lol

BRI said:
Nile and Death are technical death metal.

Hmmm, perhaps. Although a lot of their stuff is just pure DM, besides I never get that pedantic when disscusing stuff like this. Alright that's a disputable one.

BRI said:
And no "The" Porcupine Tree are not metal lol

lol, I get what you mean yes :loco: , but I've heard some pretty heave stuff from them and I always but them with the likes of Opeth and Godgory when asked.

Oh and I just read your post again... even if there was a "NWOADM", which there isn't, Chimaira wouldn't be under the category lol

Morbid Angel do not have clean vocals. Morbid Angel is in the first generation of death metal bands.

This thread is stupid.

The winner of this thread is the person who posted the hilarious rules for death metal.