seeking prog rock advice from the proggers among us

Marksveld said:
Fine, fine... I must hear this supposed legend!

Then you might need to purchase this supposed masterpiece:

Foxtrot.gif

Second Jethro Tull, Rush, and probably Genesis although I haven't heard much. Don't care for Spock's Beard or Porcupine Tree.

I've been trying to get my hands on some King Crimson but the used record store (the only one in town, which even has a section labelled "anything with the word 'King' in it") where I get all my vinyl has NOSSING. Perhaps I'll have to cave in and just get some CDs.

Black Winter Day said:
Caravan - laid back, melodic jams... Canterbury prog. Most of their albums are brilliant, but especially "The Land of the Grey and Pink".(there's an excellent two CD Best of collection called Canterbury Tales...what it lacks in cohesion it more than makes up for in stunning musicianship, and as all it includes material from all their original albums, it makes an excellent primer of where to head next.)
Renaissance - "folk" prog with female vocals. Beautiful. (I could not agree more....medieval and folk and proggy all swirl together. Annie Haslam has that kind of clear-as-a-bell voice that seems to be so quintessentially English...unfortunately most of their best albums are available only as imports...of the two volume best ofs, the first is better....but of the original CDs, Scheherezade, Turn of the Cards, Prologue, Live at Carnegie Hall, and whatever CD it is with Mother Russia on it...beware the first two, the band had completely turned over ALL personnel between albums two and three; the original Renaissance was formed by two ex-Yardbirds!!)

Black Winter Day said:
I need to pull that one out NOW. It's about that time again...Hmmm... that or Levitation? Or another?

I'll go with Hall.

Space Ritual! I agree with Doomicfer, Psychedelic Warlords is a fucking killer tune. Need to get Warrior on the Edge of Time among others...I'm seeing Tull mentioned a lot here, while I've never been a huge fan of theirs I'd suggest A Passion Play and Heavy Horses in addition to the usual starting points.

Marksveld said:
Looks to me like I'll be puchasing Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme tonight...

Hey listen it first. I like some prog rock, like Änglagård and Anekdoten, but Genesis, damn, that's the wrost fucking piece of shit. :D Almost as bad as Spock's Beard, no matter how big legends they are!

Thanks for all the tips; I'll be checking into several of them.

A few clarifications:

Yes - I don't have Tormato; I thought it was after Drama. I have listened to Going For the One, and I liked the title track a lot but the rest wasn't so interesting to me.

Rush - I'm very familiar with all of their releases, and I meant to say up to Power Windows instead of Grace Under Pressure (got them backwards in my head). I don't want Presto, Hold Your Fire, or the god-awful Roll the Bones (the instrumental is the only song on there I can stand).

Magma - I have MDK and Kohnarkstoz or however it's spelled. I dig them on occasion, but they aren't something I can listen to every day.

Spock's Beard - I've heard some and the music was cool, but the singer sounded like he was out of a boy band. Way too melodic for the music.

Anekdoten - already said I have them all; they are one of my all-time favorites