Seem's we have about 1000 Puma's in Australia

Dave_Mustaine84

Boogies Woogies
Nov 27, 2002
MillPark, Victoria, Australia
I went to a family reunion yesterday and I was talking to my pop and a 2nd cousin who is a Vietnam Veteran and they were telling me all these stories about the puma's, from what they've seen of them over the years my pop estimates that there would be 1000 in Australia today AND that they have settled in for sure now.

here is the coolest story that my pop told me....
-whilst out spotlighting one night by himself he heard a noise had a look with the spotlight and saw a puma chasing a rabbit, it stopped about 5-10 metres away from him and just stared at him, luckily though my pop had the light so he probably looked like a huge animal, he quickly made a barking noise at it and scared it off. to those un-educated about hunting, he only had a .22 with him, if he had've fired a .22 round off at a puma it would've been like a bee-sting to it and it would have surely attacked my pop.

pretty amazing huh!

my pop told us how the ranger's here have been taught to play down puma attacks on cattle so that they don't officially say that they are out there as they are still just a "rumour" which is complete bullshit.
one puma ripped a huge chunk of meat off this calf at this one farm where we hunt and when the ranger came down he said it was a dog attack, but as soon as my pop told him that it was a puma, the ranger got a funny look in his eyes that instantly told my pop that the ranger's have to make puma attacks not look like so called "dog" attacks.

i had some fun talking to my 2nd cousin, he was telling me how the yank soldiers in 'Nam were fucking shit and would constantly get into friendly firefights with the aussie troops.
He also told me about how the vietnamese farmers taught their water buffalo to attack the "white men". One of these attacks had a buffalo pin one of his mates to the ground, to which a group opened up with their m-16's onto the animal's body but it had no effect but the calibre was too small for it, he grabbed his SLR and fired one shot into the animal's head and killed it instantly.

There may not be that many of them here but they certainly do exist here!

my DAD has even had a run in with one, him and my pop were chasing the one that ripped the meat off of the calf's leg and my dad found it amongst a blackberry bush, it started growling at him so he fired two shotgun rounds into the bush and got out of there as quickly as possible.

my pop showed my nan a puma once, he was driving around in a shire that had a couple, he was telling us how she got hysterical cause she couldn't believe that she was actually seeing one.

the yank's brough them over here as mascot's and before leaving home let them free instead of shooting them, thats HOW they got here.

My uncle say's he saw one too. Only a couple of years ago just past Angelsea.
It's a pretty common stroy actually, and there have been many reported sightings.

The problem is, unless some decent footage turns up soon - it'll be all but disproved. Everyone owns camera's now, and digital's are cheaper than ever! Sooner or later someone will have to come across one and get a picture.

A male puma is 1 to 2 metres long, including the tail, stands about 70cm high at the shoulder and can weigh up to 100kgs. An animal that size would be the dominant predator wherever it lived in this country, because there is simply no competition. Not even a dingo gets that big. If there was even ONE puma roaming about in the bush somewhere, it would be found and shot pretty quickly. It IS possible however that your rellos have come across a feral cat or two. Those fuckers can get HUGE and they're more likely to attack a person than a puma.

no, they have come across Puma's, THATS how close they have got to them.

if they really wanted to have, they could've tried to down one with the .22's when they came across them, but they would've only really made it quite angry.

i don't really care if u don't believe me, my pop, dad, 2nd cousin, nan and a few of my pop's friends have all seen them.

not only that but they have repeatedly attacked livestock in Gippsland.

I guess they are really only found in Victoria.

The "Richmond Panther" (another name for a puma, and the reason the Penrith Rugby League team is called the Panthers) has been a local legend in the Sydney area since the 30s, but no one's ever seen it, nor found a carcass. If they do see a puma, next time they should trap it and take photos of it. I seriously doubt the CSE or whatever it's called in Victoria would let 1000 or so pumas wander about the wilderness. They would decimate the local native animal population in a matter of weeks. Terry, your old man may have shot at a puma, but until he kills one and gets his photo taken in the paper, I don't believe it.