Seem's we have about 1000 Puma's in Australia

Blitzy, when you are as young as you are, EVERYTHING looks big to you, you would see Garfield and think he was Godzilla :) ;)

Lestat is a very large cat.

But when we have the Lithgow show, and the feral animal man is in town (he traps feral anything on properties for money), he shows up with some VERy large cats. 'kin huge !!

I've seen alot of them about lately when I go fishing, and feral cats are getting fucking huge. Like, these things easily twice to thrice the size of regular house cats. I have seen them chase rabits down and all. They are nearly all black or a dark brindle colour too. Up in the snowy's they have been known to take down wallabies and small kanagaroos, as well as anything smaller. They also kick the fuck out of dingos.

My guess is, your puma's are feral cats.

Give em another 20 years, and I can guarentee that at the rate they are growing with every second or third generation they will be big enough to be classed as one of the 'big cats'

They are so well fed, and apparently they are selective who they breed with. Only the biggest and strongest ones are breeding up there, and alot of the smaller ones get killed by either dingoes, the snow or other larger cats.

Mostly because they are forced to hunt to live. The weaker, slower cats don't get enough food to survive.

But that doesn't mean I think what Blitz saw was just a feral cat.

Studies in the U.K. and Oz show that there is a dominant male in each of the cat colonies.

He's the one who can beat the snot out of the upstarts, so the colony gets his genes to pass on. Until there's one bigger and badder enough to beat the snot out of the dominant male.

So the get bigger, and nastier.

An emerging technology of dealing with feral cats is to catch the Tom, and neuter him. He's still the dominant male, and gets all the action, but doesn't pass on his genes, or let the females have kttens. Apparently works pretty well.

The scariest part of these feral cats is, I have no qualms with walking towards a dingo, they will scamp off behind some bushes and watch me from there. These fuckin cats will run at you and attack you if you get to close.