Serenity Painted Death, Moonlapse Vertigo, or Bleak

Which is your fav?

• Total voters
Godhead's Lament, Moonlapse Vertigo, and Serenity Painted Death are the 3 best Opeth songs. Guess what album they're on?

Jon Snow said:
Godhead's Lament, Moonlapse Vertigo, and Serenity Painted Death are the 3 best Opeth songs. Guess what album they're on?
jeeeez, stop statign yuor opinoin liek is fact!!1!

incarnated solvent abuse > white cluster

It is fact when stated Still Life is more complex than BWP. BUT, it is indeed a matter of preference, whether complexity stuffs the tight vagina of your taste, or polished production with, might I add, some pretty catchy metal tunes.

Every Opeth album is my favorite in ther own respects (Except MAYH). I loved still life because they had some amazing melodies and great acoustic work but I didn't much like how the songs started getting more boring towards the end. I dislike My Arms Your Hearse, because there was now identity to any of the songs. every song had this sort of formula and dullness so not much memorability. BWP all had very memorable tunes, thus being more consistent and still mantained superb musicianship (Such as "Bleak", the beginning of the acoustic part before it goes into the "Help me cure you" bit instance, I'll tell you what, that Mikey has a good ear for chord arrangement).

Alternative 3 said:
I feel the complexity of Still Life really fits the songs and the story.
The mood of the songs fits the story, the so called complexity, to me, often seems just like too random dissonant chords or uninspired riffs.

The classical sounding accoutic part in the moor, is so beautiful and fits with the love and the complex riffs in White Cluster go with the dissalusionment and emotions Jack Frober would be feeling as he is about to be hung.
I never ever complained about The Moor, in fact it's one of my favorite Opeth songs of all time. Also the second part of White Cluster isn't that bad. But songs like Moonlapse Vertigo, Serenity painted death or parts of Godhead's Lament/White Cluster jsut don't manage to excite me.

Then we have BWP.
Instead of overdoing the complex riff- thing, Mikael concentrated on easier to listen to but simply more beautiful melodies and heavyriffs that kick Still Life's butt anytime. I just can't headbang to Still Life but your head starts automatically to nod when Leper, Bleak, Drapery, Funeral or Blackwater Park itself start off.
Also the dissonant chords are crisper and that for better sounding because of the better production so the album is just more fun to listen to.
I can't help myself imagining forests in autumn or trees with brwon leafs while listening to BWP, so I guess there's definitely a great mood on the album, too.

Yeah, there's no big story telling throughout the album but I don't care since I concentrate more on the music than the lyrics.

The perfect combination of the beauty and heaviness of BWP and the more complex and technical playing of Still Life is Deliverance, my #1 Opeth album.

Saber Rider said:
I just can't headbang to Still Life but your head starts automatically to nod when Leper, Bleak, Drapery, Funeral or Blackwater Park itself start off.

I can't headbang to Still Life either but I don't listen to it to headbang. I guess people just look for different things in Opeth's music. I'm a huge prog rock/metal fan which may be why I love Still Life the most. I think it has Mike's best clean vox, best guitar tone, and I love the overall sound and production. It has a sense of warmth and a touch of magic that speaks to me but obviously not to everyone.

Well, Morningrise will forever have the greatest acoustic parts, that's for sure.

To Bid You Farewell is in my top 5 opeth songs without a doubt.

ps: and didn't BLEAK beat out drapery for the most popular song off BWP? I do recall seeing this at one point in time throughout these boards...

Jon Snow said:
I dunno bout that. :yuk:

Saber Rider said:
The mood of the songs fits the story, the so called complexity, to me, often seems just like too random dissonant chords or uninspired riffs.

I never ever complained about The Moor, in fact it's one of my favorite Opeth songs of all time. Also the second part of White Cluster isn't that bad. But songs like Moonlapse Vertigo, Serenity painted death or parts of Godhead's Lament/White Cluster jsut don't manage to excite me.

Then we have BWP.
Instead of overdoing the complex riff- thing, Mikael concentrated on easier to listen to but simply more beautiful melodies and heavyriffs that kick Still Life's butt anytime. I just can't headbang to Still Life but your head starts automatically to nod when Leper, Bleak, Drapery, Funeral or Blackwater Park itself start off.
Also the dissonant chords are crisper and that for better sounding because of the better production so the album is just more fun to listen to.
I can't help myself imagining forests in autumn or trees with brwon leafs while listening to BWP, so I guess there's definitely a great mood on the album, too.

Yeah, there's no big story telling throughout the album but I don't care since I concentrate more on the music than the lyrics.

The perfect combination of the beauty and heaviness of BWP and the more complex and technical playing of Still Life is Deliverance, my #1 Opeth album.
So Deliverance is your favorite?

shark22 said:
So Deliverance is your favorite?
Yes sir.

@Jon snow
I'm a proggy too(you know, the typical bands like King Crimson, Genesis, some Yes, Rush, Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Psychotic Waltz etc.).
But maybe it's really just the way the album appeals to you. You said you really like the guitar tone and the overall production. For me, apart form MAYH, it's their worst album sound.

Saber Rider said:
Yes sir.

@Jon snow
I'm a proggy too(you know, the typical bands like King Crimson, Genesis, some Yes, Rush, Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Psychotic Waltz etc.).
But maybe it's really just the way the album appeals to you. You said you really like the guitar tone and the overall production. For me, apart form MAYH, it's their worst album sound.

Haha. Well, there goes my theory out the window. I love BWP and Steve
Wilson too but I find the production of MAYH and Still Life to fit the moods of those albums very well. Actually, I'm a fanboy so I love every album but Still Life appeals to me a bit more than the others.

Jon Snow said:
Haha. Well, there goes my theory out the window. I love BWP and Steve
Wilson too but I find the production of MAYH and Still Life to fit the moods of those albums very well. Actually, I'm a fanboy so I love every album but Still Life appeals to me a bit more than the others.
So all the "fanboys" like still life the most. Well, still life ain't by favorite, and I'm definately not a "fanboy".

I don't like the production on Deliverance it sounds to over-produced for the Death Metal album that it is. Damnation is cool though, the mellotron fills out the soundscape.

Since Im wearing me Still Life shirt I suppose Im a fan boy.

(I'm The Lepers older brother) I've been a fan of Opeth for almost 5 years.I had bought BWP as my first alum when it came out. I really like that album, a lot, very mature song writing. It may be a bit duller when compared to some of their other albums, but without a doubt it has a great tone and overall feel. I also think the flow of the tracks on BWP is really good. I don't think people look at that aspect of albums enough, of how the flow of songs could make or break an album.

SL has my most of my favorite Opeth songs (White Cluster. Godhead's Lament, The Moor) But it gives a much more raw sound. I think if you're looking for more butality and a more complex listen, where you find yourself trying to remeber some parts in the songs, SL is your album. Even though it's a concept album and iss told as a story, I think the flow of the tracks is pretty terriable. The moor is a good oepning song, but having Godheads lament following it is terriable. Sure I'd do it on my own time when I'm skipping thorugh Opeth tracks on ITunes, and wouldnt give much thought about it there, but if your like me and you sit down and listen to entire albums at a time, flow is a good thing. Also SPD sounds like much more of a closing song on a albu to me, then white cluster. It seems to me, the most rage and confusion and complexity of the story comes in the middle, which is why White cluster isn't really the best song to have closed with.

Both albums are incrediably good, that is without a doubt, but as far is saying which one is better, I would ahve to be undecided because I don't like or dislike any one album more than the other. Well maybe MAYH because that album has some songs with parts where I'm just like wtf? But otherwise I would have to say it's good.

Also, recording qualityis deffinitly a plus when it comes to listening to an album, but I don't think it makes that a big of difference when arguing between SL and BWP because what should really matter in those two albums, and this what matters to me, is the fact that the song writing in both are amazing.

Either way, Opeth owns any other band out there.