Seriously Feminists, WTF?!?!

Yeah, I can see how it would come across as white guilt, but it was more just to illustrate that it's important to not jump to conclusions about things we haven't experienced (at least not to the same degree) and can't relate to, though if you've experienced sex-based discrimination, that separates you from me I guess, cuz I never have - even then, though, I doubt you have anywhere near as much as many (perhaps most) women have

Yeah, I can see how it would come across as white guilt, but it was more just to illustrate that it's important to not jump to conclusions about things we haven't experienced (at least not to the same degree) and can't relate to, though if you've experienced sex-based discrimination, that separates you from me I guess, cuz I never have - even then, though, I doubt you have anywhere near as much as many women have

Just up front: Not having an argument with you, or getting offended. Just trading some viewpoints.

But.. I wasn't aware it was a competition? I mean... I worked at a place where I was subjected to a lot of jokes about being a man, by many women. Penis size, manhood, all that kind of stuff. It wasn't overly aggressive, I didn't go home crying... I just rolled my eyes a lot. But that's the same kind of sexism in the workplace that we have discussed earlier on in the thread.

Shit man... even sitting on a bus, and experiencing a hen party asking me to take off my pants and let them smell them, could be considered sexual discrimination. That time though, I laughed, because I found it funny. But you could easily make the argument.

Likewise I worked at an importing company when I was 18, owned by an Indian family. They treated me like their little honky indentured slave - that was a bit more severe to my sense of self than the previous one.

Nationalism? I was back home in the Midlands last year with my Japanese girlfriend. We were in the centre of town, and a white power skinhead type chap sat opposite us, rolling his eyes, snarling, and muttering to himself.

I'm sure we can all think of minutiae like these to demonstrate experiences we've all had of discrimination. So... do we measure them against each other, and decide which is lesser and which is critical?

To be honest, I'd be more concerned about women getting their clitorises severed from their bodies against their will, and being married off at the age of 12, than I would be about some self proclaimed feminist taking an elevator ride with a man who asked her if she wanted a cup of coffee aka wanted to go to his room and have some sexy times.

There really are some truly repugnant fucked up things going on that *are* sexuality based discrimination and abuses... but parents dressing a kid in pink instead of blue is not one of them.

Marcus, I can think of instances where I've been on the receiving end of sexism, racism, and nationalism. I say that truthfully.

Has it affected my confidence? Momentarily maybe. Long term? No. I'm perfectly fine having a handful of memories where I was discriminated against. It didn't have a massive impact on my life.

To be honest Marcus, your comment comes across as a bit of white mans guilt - again, another concept to segregate people, control them, and make them feel isolated.

But I guess according to Damian, I'm just ignorant or unaware of the benefits I've experienced because of my skin colour. Yeah, sure... dealing with a dead father at the age of 15, a mother that hated me, two sisters that hated me, no job prospects, no education, no money, no friends... yeah... I had some real benefits because I happened to have been born white... btw... something I had absolutely no control over.

I just don't see any reason for me to feel sympathy or guilt over the fact that I'm a white male, and other people aren't. Preposterous.

Drew, welcome to the club of feeling discriminated against! I know where you're coming from and I sympathize with your struggles, however I think you missed some big points illustrated in the previous posts before Damian came in. Damian's post is an explanation as to how feminism came to be and some thoughts about how women across cultural, ethnic groupings are socialized in a manner that mets the needs of society, not necessarily the needs of the individual. Society should never be equated with "patriarch," unless specifically stated, but less-educated or feminists responding to "dire" situations frequently make this assumption. Feminism that is true to the idealistic regards of its historical foundation as well as its subsequent affiliations (Civil Rights, GLBT movement, etc.) should not only route for basic equality and mobility of women, but should STRIVE to reach this goal for ALL PEOPLES, which includes the white male. Any other movement that calls itself "feminism" and does not adhere to this is doing it wrong, and should be ashamed. We should be out for that betterment of HUMANity, even if it may first emerge from the feminine perspective.

To be honest, and I'm not saying this to be a cunt or a bitch, your response to Marcus is a bit lacking depth, and to call it as "white man's guilt" I feel is shallow. To say that is something akin to the pimply faced trolls of 4chan, not knowing the world outside of mom's basement and only getting to know a "woman's touch" through computer mouse and their left hand, which seeing your previous post, I know that you are not like ;) While white man's guilt is undoubtably real, its a condition that could be more readily changed compared to sexism or racism because it is not as deeply engrained into our constantly evolving society and culture. In fact, it's something that could quickly change depending on the 2012 election.

I'm curious too about your gf, is she a Japanese national or born in the US? You should really talk with her about this stuff at some point, because women's conditions with regard to the West are still pretty skewed on a WEIRD level (thick glass ceiling, expectation of being a housewife and mom, but traditionally controlling the finances of the home and pleasure being placed on the women during sex) If you get a chance, read this book, gives some cool insights:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/The-Secrets-Mariko-Japanese-Family/dp/0679772626/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339813919&sr=8-1&keywords=secrets+of+mariko[/ame]

Perhaps some of the white males experiencing discrimination are not actually being attacked for their race, but because they are acting like assholes. I wish /b/ would look at this :lol: I worked for a grocery store in an extremely wealthy, largely white suburb outside of Manhattan, my co-workers were mostly Latin American immigrants. There was definitely a level of having to prove myself in the store, and maybe being white was part of it, but also a need for building trust of my co-workers who had experienced violent racism and hate in the past (both state-side and in their home countries) While some of the clientele there were pretty good, we definitely had some over-privileged assholes who lashed out on how "these illegal Mexicans can't maintain or do anything right." If I experienced such unconditional, yet vehement hate on that level on a regular basis, I would most certainly develop a stigma against someone, which a natural defense and a way of self-presevation. Perhaps your bosses were acting out of a response to racism in a past? Or maybe they truly looked down on white people, which is fucked up. I don't want to minimize your experiences, but you have to look at all the conditions: your's, your bosses, and then try to develop the reality of the situation.

Guys, I reiterate this too, if I am being a bitch or being too one-sided or personal attacking, please let me know, I know my personal experiences, but I want to understand YOUR personal experiences, and I want you to at lest know mine, as a woman.

Shit man... even sitting on a bus, and experiencing a hen party asking me to take off my pants and let them smell them, could be considered sexual discrimination. That time though, I laughed, because I found it funny. But you could easily make the argument...

To be honest, I'd be more concerned about women getting their clitorises severed from their bodies against their will, and being married off at the age of 12, than I would be about some self proclaimed feminist taking an elevator ride with a man who asked her if she wanted a cup of coffee aka wanted to go to his room and have some sexy times.

There really are some truly repugnant fucked up things going on that *are* sexuality based discrimination and abuses... but parents dressing a kid in pink instead of blue is not one of them.

Oh man, I'm glad you have a good sense of humor, because if I was in that situation I would have punched a bitch, but that also shows how society expects us to behave on a sexual level. Girls = no sex, boys = flaunt it! :lol: :rolleyes:

Also, I agree with your second statement 100%, I think those issues should be at the top of the feminist agenda. Social issues in Western nations can be combated on a more personal level.

And sorry if I came off stereotyping and as a bitch in my previous post, the white man's guilt is something I see constantly reiterated again and again in genuinely misogynistic and uneducated places of the web. It's truly unfortunate, because it is an situation that will probably only be addressed when the white male becomes "the minority" and discrimination becomes a full blown problem; which is the wrong way to approach any problem. And it truly bothers me when little Internet trolls and Stormfags stigmatize and become the face for a wider problem.

I re-read you post and see what you were saying now. I'm not implying that you were saying exactly what I said. What I'm pointing out is that you took the holes in her story (that fit on a piece of poster board) and filled them in with the worst possible assumptions about her to reach your conclusion. No matter how you explain it that's hardly the most logical or rational way to view a stranger.

Drew, welcome to the club of feeling discriminated against! I know where you're coming from and I sympathize with your struggles, however I think you missed some big points illustrated in the previous posts before Damian came in. Damian's post is an explanation as to how feminism came to be and some thoughts about how women across cultural, ethnic groupings are socialized in a manner that mets the needs of society, not necessarily the needs of the individual. Society should never be equated with "patriarch," unless specifically stated, but less-educated or feminists responding to "dire" situations frequently make this assumption. Feminism that is true to the idealistic regards of its historical foundation as well as its subsequent affiliations (Civil Rights, GLBT movement, etc.) should not only route for basic equality and mobility of women, but should STRIVE to reach this goal for ALL PEOPLES, which includes the white male. Any other movement that calls itself "feminism" and does not adhere to this is doing it wrong, and should be ashamed. We should be out for that betterment of HUMANity, even if it may first emerge from the feminine perspective.

Heya. I didn't really miss any of that, I've read the whole thread, and I certainly don't disagree about striving for equality. But I'd call it what it is - humanism. Even if it comes from the feminine perspective.

To be honest, and I'm not saying this to be a cunt or a bitch, your response to Marcus is a bit lacking depth, and to call it as "white man's guilt" I feel is shallow. To say that is something akin to the pimply faced trolls of 4chan, not knowing the world outside of mom's basement and only getting to know a "woman's touch" through computer mouse and their left hand, which seeing your previous post, I know that you are not like ;) While white man's guilt is undoubtably real, its a condition that could be more readily changed compared to sexism or racism because it is not as deeply engrained into our constantly evolving society and culture. In fact, it's something that could quickly change depending on the 2012 election.

Hmm. Possibly. I didn't want to read too much into the statements he made, because I know Marcus to be a fairly level headed kind of guy. So I didn't want to over-analyse and end up reading things that weren't there.

I'm curious too about your gf, is she a Japanese national or born in the US? You should really talk with her about this stuff at some point, because women's conditions with regard to the West are still pretty skewed on a WEIRD level (thick glass ceiling, expectation of being a housewife and mom, but traditionally controlling the finances of the home and pleasure being placed on the women during sex) If you get a chance, read this book, gives some cool insights:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Secrets-M...=1339813919&sr=8-1&keywords=secrets+of+mariko

I'll check that book out. No kindle version though, doh!

She's actually my wife, and she is weird. No question. Not too sure what it is that you'd like to know though. She tends to take people on an individual basis, and I've never heard her say anything that could be considered feminist. But she's not a walk over. She has some balls, basically.

Perhaps some of the white males experiencing discrimination are not actually being attacked for their race, but because they are acting like assholes. I wish /b/ would look at this :lol: I worked for a grocery store in an extremely wealthy, largely white suburb outside of Manhattan, my co-workers were mostly Latin American immigrants. There was definitely a level of having to prove myself in the store, and maybe being white was part of it, but also a need for building trust of my co-workers who had experienced violent racism and hate in the past (both state-side and in their home countries) While some of the clientele there were pretty good, we definitely had some over-privileged assholes who lashed out on how "these illegal Mexicans can't maintain or do anything right." If I experienced such unconditional, yet vehement hate on that level on a regular basis, I would most certainly develop a stigma against someone, which a natural defense and a way of self-presevation. Perhaps your bosses were acting out of a response to racism in a past? Or maybe they truly looked down on white people, which is fucked up. I don't want to minimize your experiences, but you have to look at all the conditions: your's, your bosses, and then try to develop the reality of the situation.

Certainly agree on /b - that place is a haven for fucktards. I can relate to your work experience, but that kind of thing doesn't really occur over here in the UK.

Guys, I reiterate this too, if I am being a bitch or being too one-sided or personal attacking, please let me know, I know my personal experiences, but I want to understand YOUR personal experiences, and I want you to at lest know mine, as a woman.

Nah we're just chatting. It's all cool.

Sorry Damian. But I'm not sure I could ever respect the concept of feminism, or any concept revolving around segregating people based on their sex. It's just a really banal thing to judge people on. I put it in the same basket as nationalism, religious fundamentalism, and racism - concepts propogated by batshit insane people.

I'm confused by this, as feminism is not about segregating people at all; by definition it promotes equality between genders in socioeconomic/political endeavors - if anything, isn't that anti-segregation of genders?

I'm confused by this, as feminism is not about segregating people at all; by definition it promotes equality between genders in socioeconomic/political endeavors - if anything, isn't that anti-segregation of genders?

But that isn't the definition of feminism, as Damian has aptly demonstrated. Wiki says:

Feminism is a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women.

So feminism makes no attempt to seek equality for men or for trans-gender people. Which equates to segregation of the sexes.

Which is why I was calling for "equality between genders" to be called 'humanism' which is exactly what it is.

That's taking a very narrow definition of it, IMO - even the quoted Wiki definition states that equal rights are the goal, and it's obvious that they're going to want it to be equal to men. Yes, it does leave trans-gender people out of the picture and is a black-and-white men v women issue, but "defending equal rights for women" = "equality between genders" as far as I'm concerned.

The only counter-argument I can think of is that it doesn't defend the equal rights of men but as with any human rights issue you tend to look into the rights of the disenfranchised rather than the disenfranchisers.

I tend to feel on this matter that the wider a definition you take, the more useless it becomes. I'm not really sure how you can comfortably connect "equality between genders" to "defending equal rights for women" as being the same thing. Logically, they are clearly not the same thing. Cognitive dissonance at work there I feel Jeff.

And maybe looking into the rights of the disenfranchised over and above the disenfranchisers is the problem here. Taking it to its logical conclusion, you're inevitably going to end up in a situation where the same discrimination is happening, but in the other direction. Like when there is a coup... the replacement government very often ends up doing the same gnarly shit as the last one.

It's the wrong approach in my opinion.

I'm a pragmatist. People should be working to solve real world problems, rather than endlessly philosophising the issue on the internet, Youtube, blogs, Facebook, etc...

When the problems are so loosely defined, and not very well explained, no solutions are really going to be found. Like in the early days... women wanted the vote. They got it. It's great they got it. But they had a goal.

Feminism today... what is the goal? Because it seems like it's just to endlessly moan about how men are keeping them down, or to play tit-for-tat intellectual games which have no real correlation with any sort of change that could happen in the real world.

I'm not sure I entirely agree; equal rights for women is just a subset of equality between genders. If one is on top, it makes sense to raise the other to make them equal. I think comparing very moderate affirmative action type efforts to a failed military coup is a bit extreme but I do see where you're going.

I agree on the real-world problems rather than internet psychologist and sociologist attempts, and your assessment of them lacking a goal is actually the main criticism of the modern feminist movement; there is no goal, so they're all going in different directions and fighting for different things which barely qualify as feminism and more just capitalize on having been previously (and somewhat currently) disenfranchised.

But that isn't the definition of feminism, as Damian has aptly demonstrated. Wiki says:

So feminism makes no attempt to seek equality for men or for trans-gender people. Which equates to segregation of the sexes.

Which is why I was calling for "equality between genders" to be called 'humanism' which is exactly what it is.

I think I'm going to post a link to my senior thesis and a paper I wrote for a philosophy/history course, Women in China later tonight. I guess maybe the best deduction from this thread is that feminism is a blanket term for humanitarian efforts originating from the feminine? Idk, it is a super broad topic. Also, I was thinking about the Riot Grrl movement and how that related to feminism on a more domestic, social scale via entertainment and art. I'm liking the dialogue between you and Jeff, you both are really amazing at dissecting these types of issues.

Also, I'm glad you brought up transpeople, because this is an issue that is more frequently being addressed now (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_tigre) which is fronted by Kathleen Hanna (Riot Grrl, grunge forerunner, Bikini Kill and mortal enemy of Courtney Love) "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was actually inspired by Hanna.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Hanna

Also,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mia_Zapata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Year_Bitch

210f1gh.jpg

Ignore the Grateful Dead album :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleater-Kinney
Unrelated, but I'm all-over Corin Tucker (girl-crush) Frat boys used to yell "show me your tits," she started wearing shirts that said "show me your riffs."

Sorry to bombard you guises ;)

Also, completely unrelated
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Goddess

Last edited by a moderator:
Men and women are different - they have different strenghts and different weaknesses.
Regardless of if you are a man or a woman, the best idea is to use your strengths and minimize the impact of your weaknesses.
Thats it - no need to complicate things.

btw
One of the most important things in life is to be happy and to me, most feminists sound quite unhappy.
Maybe it is because instead of trying to be best at what women do best, they want what they can't have - to beat men at what men do best...

One of the most important things in life is to be happy and to me, most feminists sound quite unhappy.
Maybe it is because instead of trying to be best at what women do best, they want what they can't have - to beat men at what men do best...

homer_facepalm.jpg

I agreed with most of what you said up until there. Seriously, do what you're best at regardless of gender roles. Yes, some feminists will forever be unhappy because gender equality is some sort of sick game to them. On the contrary, I consider myself a feminist and I'm happy. I cook some bad-ass meals, clean the house, please my man and can't wait to pop out a kid or two and be a mom. But before having a family and fulfilling my supposed "role as a woman," I'd like to have a career for financial cushioning and so that my future husband will not feel obligated to be the sole provider in the family, or if something happens where I NEED to be the breadwinner, I'll be able to cover it. And honestly, with my education and the school I am attending, I feel I beat some preconceived notions of what most men should be best at. Graduated top of my class, couple of degrees and speaking a couple of languages, etc. And if my education doesn't lead me to the job I desire, I'll become a train engineer or a conductor (largely male professions, but hey, I like riding trains) AND I'll be making $50 to $60 hourly wage upon entrance and getting union benefits.

So, nyah :p

What are you doing with your life, Broseph? :)