Seriously people...

One Inch Man said:
But thrash was never popular and no band ever tried to capitalize on that, right? :Smug:
Dude you're so geigh. If you pull out bands that actually CHANGED from SOMETHING ELSE TO thrash metal (Lääz Rockit) or STARTED AFTER THRASH BECAME POPULAR (fuck knows, second rate bandwagon jumpers like Faith or Fear and Defiance I guess) then you might have a case.
SEPULTURA, DIE FUCKEN HARD DEATHRASHERS FROM THE DEPTHS OF BRAZIL, THRASHING YOUR BRAINS OUT RELENTLESSLY SINCE 1984!?! Give me a fucken BREAK.

One Inch Man said:
But thrash was never popular and no band ever tried to capitalize on that, right? :Smug:

You've only been able to name two bands so I don't think your case holds much water. Especially when you look at who else would've been on those Billboard charts at the time. Those are very much the exceptions to the rules.

And the music speaks for itself. Listen to Kill 'Em All and then follow it up with The Black Album. These truths are self-evident.

My point of all this crap is that people only throw the "sell-out" term around when someone's favorite band makes an album and/or song they don't like, it has nothing to do with the actual act of selling out.

One Inch Man said:
My point of all this crap is that people only throw the "sell-out" term around when someone's favorite band makes an album and/or song they don't like, it has nothing to do with the actual act of selling out.
Except for when they do sell out.

SELL-OUT ALBUMS:
In Flames "Reroute to Remain"
Metallica "Metallica"
Sepultura "Chaos AD"

NOT SELL-OUT ALBUMS, JUST SHITTY ALBUMS OR STYLES CHANGED TOO MUCH FOR ME:
In Flames "Clayman"
Iron Maiden "Virtual XI"
Tiamat "Skeleton Skeletron"

I was going to write a review explaining why this album rules so much but somebody beat me to it:
some mainstream publication I wholeheartedly agree with said:
Chaos A.D. was the record where everything came together for Sepultura, when they graduated from being an excellent, if derivative, band into one of metal's most unique voices. Their strident political dissidence is more focused than ever, referring explicitly to injustices in their native Brazil. The band's thick, chunky guitars, busy percussion, and hoarsely shouted vocals may be rooted in death metal, but it was often hard to call Sepultura a true death metal band, even if they flirted heavily with the style by way of Slayer; Chaos A.D. is rooted just as much in hardcore punk in its lean, stripped-down assault, featuring a cover of New Model Army's "The Hunt" and a collaboration with Jello Biafra on "Biotech Is Godzilla." At a time when '80s thrash giants like Metallica and Megadeth were streamlining their music for greater accessibility, Sepultura's aggression actually increased along with their tightened focus, borrowing from hardcore arguably more effectively than any other true metal band. Additionally, Sepultura began to draw upon the influences of their native Brazil, audible in the acoustic instrumental "Kaiowas" and in the way the band's complex rhythms move and breathe, to offer a much wider range than any of their contemporaries seemed willing to pursue. The band's songwriting became almost airtight, giving up the breakneck speed and long progressive passages borrowed from mid-'80s Metallica, and concentrating instead on creating texture and dissonance. But really, it's the unbelievably powerful rhythmic base provided by Igor Cavalera that gives Chaos A.D. its knockout punch. Endlessly playable (there isn't a wasted or unnecessary note on the album), passionately performed, and a sign that a new metal underground was finally bearing artistic fruit, Chaos A.D. ranks as one of the greatest heavy metal albums of all time. It's a remarkable achievement not only in its concentrated power and originality, but also in the degree to which Sepultura eclipsed their idols in offering a vision of heavy metal's future -- a vision that would only grow more compelling with their next release.
The Igor thing is what makes Roots, and the whole forward thinking nature touched upon explains why I love it so much and why you others too busy livin in the fuckin past [/neal] don't. :loco:

JayKeeley said:
How on earth is the black album their sellout moment?
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

I remember an interview with Pepper Keenan (COC) after the Black Album came out, and they asked him if he thought Metallica were finally selling out. Paraphrasing: "Man, they sold out with Ride the Lightning, first time I heard Fade to Black I thought 'what's this acoustic bullshit?!'" :lol: x9324570294387fd

RE-POST:

KILL TULLY said:
Somone please listen to the comparision and tell me what you think. Its amazing. haha.

Annihilator are the most blatant sellouts ever:

WOOTHRASH TILL DEATH:
http://www.annihilatormetal.com/audio/king-kill/King of the Kill-01.mp3

Gayfag shit:
http://www.annihilatormetal.com/audio/all4u/All For You-01.mp3

PLEASE for all you "bands never, ever, ever ever EVAAARRRRR sell-out", LISTEN TO THAT COMPARISON.

Ok, maybe they didn't go "Wooo, lets make a nu-metal rapcore record cuz we'll make tons of $$!" But when they where righting this music im SURE in the back of there head they had in mind what was populer and on the radio and MTV at the time. And in the end it doesn't change the fact that fuckign ANNIHILATOR went from thrash to RAPCORE.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /audio/all4u/All For You-01.mp3 on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
I tried.

Try again, i had to click it twice. Click the links, then press enter in the browser thingy again.

EDIT: Same thing as just copying the links into your browser though I think. That should work.

I would say the Black Album is certainly their sell-out record. Big time Hollywood type producer, any semblance of thrash is gone. THe album sounds more like hard rock than metal. It was most certainly MTV and radio friendly. Then they sold out again by trying to make another thrash record. Fuck Metallica. I'm so fucking tired of this band being mentioned.

Yes, they sold out. We all know. They know it. Forget 'em and maybe they'll go away.

KILL TULLY said:
And in the end it doesn't change the fact that fuckign ANNIHILATOR went from thrash to RAPCORE.

Without a shadow of a doubt, after the first two albums, Annihilator turned to shit. I don't know what happened, but I guess Jeff Waters got his soul back from the devil or something, because all of a sudden, he went from Robert Johnson to Eric Clapton. :loco: But did they sell out? Nah. They simply turned to shit.

JayKeeley said:
They simply turned to shit.
That's all there EVER is to it. I don't understand why people have this strange notion that as soon as someone doesn't like the direction a band heads in, they are a SELL OUT. You never EVER hear anyone who calls a band a sell out if the band changes into something the fan LIKES. Metallica never sold out, they've been making the mad cash for decades, they just suck shit now, get over it. Then there's Tool's take on it:
Tool - Hooker with a Penis said:
All you know about me is what I’ve sold you,
Dumb fuck
I sold out long before you ever heard my name

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one
Honestly I'm offended by the term "sell out." Maybe I'm just sympathetic to my my pals bruthas. :loco:

One Inch Man said:
That's all there EVER is to it. I don't understand why people have this strange notion that as soon as someone doesn't like the direction a band heads in, they are a SELL OUT. You never EVER hear anyone who calls a band a sell out if the band changes into something the fan LIKES. Metallica never sold out, they've been making the mad cash for decades, they just suck shit now, get over it. Then there's Tool's take on it: Honestly I'm offended by the term "sell out." Maybe I'm just sympathetic to my my pals bruthas. :loco:

Thats why I added this:

KILL TULLY said:
Ok, maybe they didn't go "Wooo, lets make a nu-metal rapcore record cuz we'll make tons of $$!" But when they where righting this music im SURE in the back of there head they had in mind what was populer and on the radio and MTV at the time. And in the end it doesn't change the fact that fucking ANNIHILATOR went from thrash to RAPCORE.

One Inch Man said:
That's all there EVER is to it. I don't understand why people have this strange notion that as soon as someone doesn't like the direction a band heads in, they are a SELL OUT. You never EVER hear anyone who calls a band a sell out if the band changes into something the fan LIKES. Metallica never sold out, they've been making the mad cash for decades, they just suck shit now, get over it.

Yes, there is such a thing as a sell-out. I'm quite baffled that you don't see it. Metallica obviously changed their sound to brng in more cash. It's plain as day!

Metallica didn't start raking the cash in until 1992, when the black album was released. Sure, "One" on MTV gave them good exposure, but that didn't break them into the big time.

RtL and MoP and KEA didn't go platinum or probably even gold until the black album was released.

EDIT: You can even the chain of events:

-AJFA is released
-"One" video plays on MTV garnering more attention fans and sales
-Band makes entire album full of "hits" and singles thanks to Big Time Producer
-mansions, sports cars and massive spending ensues

J. said:
I would say the Black Album is certainly their sell-out record. Big time Hollywood type producer, any semblance of thrash is gone. THe album sounds more like hard rock than metal. It was most certainly MTV and radio friendly. Then they sold out again by trying to make another thrash record. Fuck Metallica.

More "hard rock than metal" -- aren't you talking about Load?

I'd say the black album is metal. Those "making of" videos are pretty interesting - "A day in the life of..." or whatever. The band pretty much just closed themselves off for 10 months and recorded the whole thing.

As NAD said earlier, people have been saying Metallica sold out since Ride the Lightning, and with every release since. Since the term "sellout" is therefore relative, it can't be used as a definition.

The video release for "One" was the turning point for most -- the smell of success if you will. But the real plummet into mainstream madness was with "Load". They even cut their hair. :loco:

Dude Master of Puppets went DOUBLE platinum in 1988. Cliff 'em all TRIPLE platinum in 1989. They had the cash long before the Black Album.