Setlist from the new tour

I had always hoped to hear the Odyessey live, and now that I have, I can die a happy man (I think I said the same thing after I heard Awakenings live too at Beacon theater).

They are well aware that only some of their songs translate well live. For example, Pinella mentioned that the Accolade never seemed to work well for them live. I wonder if that is the reason they never played Absence of Light.

I think that a song like Damnation game or Masquerade would rock live. Rullo mentioned that they may play a 1st album song live, oh shit (but I wouldn't hold my breath). I'd go with Taunting and Notorious!

This will be my first time ever seeing them live. = :headbang:
If they play THE ODYSSEY, = :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

And to top it all off, I'll be seeing:
Dream Theater on July 25
Rush on July 27
and culminating with Symphony X on August 1

This will very well be one of the BEST fucking summers I will ever have. Oh yeah, and Disney World will be awesome too! :D

If anyone else is going to the Tempe show, let me know.

This will be my first time ever seeing them live. = :headbang:
If they play THE ODYSSEY, = :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

And to top it all off, I'll be seeing:
Dream Theater on July 25
Rush on July 27
and culminating with Symphony X on August 1

This will very well be one of the BEST fucking summers I will ever have. Oh yeah, and Disney World will be awesome too! :D

If anyone else is going to the Tempe show, let me know.

What a week that will be! :headbang:

Yeah. I worked my ass off in school the past few months, so those shows will be like the most perfect treat or reward for surviving it. One way or another, school pays off for everyone, hehe!

About the setlist, if they could only include the Accolade, Accolade II, and Awakenings, it would be the icing on the cake.

Correction: Pinella himself told me that they have played the Turning before.

Hmmm... I'm guessing they haven't played it much, though. Same goes for Incantations. I think there was an interview with Lepond some time ago where he mentioned that they played that one. I've personally never heard either live.

I'd rather see DWoT over the odyssey because i've seen them play that twice now and never DWoT. Also, i think i'd pretty much hate to see frontiers live.

I agree with your first sentence, but disagree vehemently with your second!

They are well aware that only some of their songs translate well live. For example, Pinella mentioned that the Accolade never seemed to work well for them live.

They did play The Accolade in full during their very first tour (in Japan) right after Twilight was released. However, this was the first time the band had played live, and there were many errors throughout the set. For example, the part in The Accolade with all the guitar and keyboard layers didn't sound very good live. On their first tour in support of The Odyssey, they played a medley of the Accolades (after the second chorus in the original, they entered into the first heavy chord of the sequel). This medley version sounded excellent, and I hope they will resurrect it for the new tour!

I wonder if that is the reason they never played Absence of Light.

I'm not sure about that. Nothing in that song seems to be over the top; in fact, I believe the bluesy main riff would sound great live! Perhaps the band just isn't terribly fond of the song.

I think that a song like Damnation game or Masquerade would rock live. Rullo mentioned that they may play a 1st album song live, oh shit (but I wouldn't hold my breath). I'd go with Taunting and Notorious!

On their first tour in Japan (the same one I mentioned earlier), they played both The Damnation Game and Masquerade. Therefore, since the band seems to not care for the material on their first album very much (most likely due to good ol' Rod), I predict that Masquerade will be the song they will play on this tour. After all, they did like it enough to re-record it in 1998. Personally, I would love to see Absinthe & Rue - the middle section of that song is beautiful!

I was seriously considering a mid-week 6 hour drive to Virginia to see SX, but not for 3 new songs. That setlist has no less than 8 of the 10 songs I heard when I saw them in 2003.

Perfection? It's ROCK N ROLL. It's not about perfection.
Reminds me of when I saw SX in 2001 at Jaxx - they completely messed up one song part way through and even stopped playing. The band proceeded to look at MJR - they blamed it on the beers from lunch. It was pretty funny.

I had always hoped to hear the Odyessey live, and now that I have, I can die a happy man (I think I said the same thing after I heard Awakenings live too at Beacon theater).

They are well aware that only some of their songs translate well live. For example, Pinella mentioned that the Accolade never seemed to work well for them live. I wonder if that is the reason they never played Absence of Light.

They should play DRESSED TO KILL from The Damnation Game

I can't say for certain, but I would guess that they only played a few of the new songs because the CD hasn't been officially released yet and nobody was supposed to have heard them yet. I would guess they end up playing 6 or more of the new tunes for the dates following the release.

Also, anyone expecting a longer set than what they played at BB's, don't get your hopes up. I've seen the guys 3 times now, and the longest set they ever played was about 90-100 minutes, so...

Do you think they'll keep the same setlist for their tour with Dream Theater in Europe?

Anyway that setlist looks so sick, they play every rocker they've got with a nice calm part in the middle. :) "The Odyssey" is the perfect way to end a live-show. I can't understand why people would like to see them play "Frontiers" of all songs? "Absence of Light" though... that song is so awesome. Same goes for "A Fool's Paradise".

Do you think they'll keep the same setlist for their tour with Dream Theater in Europe?

No, because they are opening for Dream Theater. They will probably only get 45 minutes to play.

I can't understand why people would like to see them play "Frontiers" of all songs?

I want to hear it because it is a great song with cool vocal harmonies, a sweet bass/drum/guitar solo, and because it's very obscure!

I want to hear it because it is a great song with cool vocal harmonies, a sweet bass/drum/guitar solo, and because it's very obscure!
Obscure =/= good.
they're allowed to write bad songs here and there, and they did with frontiers IMO (i understand you love it, good for you). I'm very glad it was an import bonus track that didn't come with my copy of the album.

i've seen Sy X five times, a couple before the Odyssey tour. they played mostly stuff from V and Twilight at that time, but when they came back on the Odyssey tour, they played almost everything from that album including the Odyssey. i have the setlist on my wall.

i would assume that once the Paradise Lost tour officially kicks off and the album is out, this setlist will change radically. you'll be treated to more than 70% of the tracks from the new album, and these guys never disappoint live.

Hmm.. I should've guessed. Anyway, as long as they keep the same 'kind' of tracks I'll be happy. Wait - I'm happy whatever they play. :)