setlists question

loebs

Oct 27, 2002
nj
http
is their reasons why they do the same songs every night? i mean radiohead does like 20 or 25 diffrent songs every night on a tour almost and they have way more songs then opeth.

Opeth's songs are long and complex tunes and it takes longer to rehearse and get them down pat while Radiohead (from what I've heard anyway) has fairly short songs that aren't too hard to play. So they boys just add a song or two after each tour that they rehearse, I guess they like to keep songs exclusive as well..

Yeah, let's face it, some Opeth songs would just not be nearly as epic on stage. The complexity of their songs, it's just impossible for them to throw a new one in all the time, I mean, Im sure they would if they could, but they tour their asses off, and to throw in new tunes as well is just pushing it.....but I think they really went out on a limb here to throw in BWP and The Moor, so Im really happy, not to mention April Ethereal.

Yeah, it's pretty much been nailed with song length and complexity. But also as someone mentioned, some songs just aren't 'suitable' for live performances. In fact, Mikael has noted more than once how suprised he is that 'A Fair Judgement' is so well received in a live set, he could never really see how it could be excuted live succesfully (faithful to the studio version that is), but when they finally did decide to give it a shot everyone seemed to lap it up. Of course I am exceptionally greatful for this, seeing as AFJ is one of my favourite songs off the album. :D

Asmondai said:
I`m impressed that Opeth can play so complex songs on stage at all. It must take a lot of rehearsal to do it so flawless.
Not to be anal retentive, but no they don't (play flawlessly), especially just after they pick up a new song (which is another reason they don't so often). Like somone said, they don't rehearse (over much) before live gigs (unless you consider pervious gigs to be rehearsals, which I guess you can) and if you know what you're listening for you'll find discrepancies and slips in their performances from time to time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sayingthey play like shit, far from it, but it certainly ain't flawless. In fact in some ways that makes it even better, as you get a 'raw-er' sound, I mean you don't want a band to have their set down pat so well that you can't discern the difference between it and their studio album do you?

Replace Radiohead with Dream Theater and where does your argument go now?
http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.asp?m=396489 - 2004 setlists...

Of course DT played for 3 hours+ each night so variety is somewhat necessary; however, different setlists each night plus extra random shit they probably just pull out on stage. Anyways, I wish opeth wasnt lazy in regards to rehearsing and made each night surprising. Even if they only play 10 songs a show and pull from a hat of 15 songs, that would make it more interesting in my opinion. I applaud them for bring out some older classics and what not on this tour, but the show is still so predictable! - thus im passing on this tour...

metalathiest said:
Replace Radiohead with Dream Theater and where does your argument go now?
http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.asp?m=396489 - 2004 setlists...

Of course DT played for 3 hours+ each night so variety is somewhat necessary; however, different setlists each night plus extra random shit they probably just pull out on stage. Anyways, I wish opeth wasnt lazy in regards to rehearsing and made each night surprising. Even if they only play 10 songs a show and pull from a hat of 15 songs, that would make it more interesting in my opinion. I applaud them for bring out some older classics and what not on this tour, but the show is still so predictable! - thus im passing on this tour...
Dream Theater is a machine, they practiced like 15hours a day all of their lives

this really makes me think of any metal band that as a def setlist every night, now that i think about it