Shai Hulud

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
Has anyone heard of them? I got into them when I was in my hardcore phase. They were always my favorite hardcore band and are now one of the only hardcore bands I like. I just bought their new album it slays. It is depressive and atmospheric, while at the same time filled with energy and power.

Dreamlord said:
Who would you compare these guys to? I keep hearing great things about them.
That's the thing, they are very original and there is no bands to really compare them too. I guess you can say that they sound kind of like Poison The Well, but they are MUCH better. They have the energy and atmosphere of a doom metal band, yet their music is hardcore, and not metal. I don't see anything wrong with the vocals. I like the vocalist; his voice is kind of like a cross between a hardcore vocalist and a death metal vocalist; he definitely conveys a lot of emotion (anger, depression, frustration) through his voice.

Actually, Poison the Well are infinitely better. More emotional, much more interesting song-writing, better instrument playing, far far better vocals, and Poison the Well's lyrics don't make me want to become a straightedge monk like Shai Hulud's godawful sxe lyrics. Poison the Well are one of the best bands in the scene, Shai Hulud are one of the worst.

LuminousAether said:
Actually, Poison the Well are infinitely better. More emotional, much more interesting song-writing, better instrument playing, far far better vocals, and Poison the Well's lyrics don't make me want to become a straightedge monk like Shai Hulud's godawful sxe lyrics. Poison the Well are one of the best bands in the scene, Shai Hulud are one of the worst.
Interesting. I don't find Shai Hulud's lyrics to be overly striaghtedge, at least not on their first CD. I haven't read the lyrics of the new CD closely enough to be able to tell. Most of their lyrics seem to be about misanthropy, life sucking, and self esteem problems. In fact, I didn't even know that they were a straightedge band. I'm not sure if I'd agree that Poison The Well has better instrumentation and far better vocals. But everyone has their own opinion I guess. I personally just happen to prefer Shai Hulud over Poison The Well.

What they are straightedge? Are you positive about that? Luminous, I can't agree to you about Poison The Well being a lot better than Shai Hulud. More like the other way around I say... The music for Poison The Well is alright but the emo vocals just gets annoying, at least Shai Hulud's vocalist doesn't do that. Shai Hulud is just straightforward, aggressive hardcore. I can like them far better than the average hardcore group out there like Throwdown for instance.

MURAI said:
What they are straightedge? Are you positive about that? Luminous, I can't agree to you about Poison The Well being a lot better than Shai Hulud. More like the other way around I say... The music for Poison The Well is alright but the emo vocals just gets annoying, at least Shai Hulud's vocalist doesn't do that. Shai Hulud is just straightforward, aggressive hardcore. I can like them far better than the average hardcore group out there like Throwdown for instance.
Bump on that! I wouldn't say that Shai Hulud is a staightforward hardcore band though. They are very emotive and have atmosphere like no other hardcore band.

One of the main reasons Poison the Well is better than Shai Hulud is because of the vocals. Poison the Well mixes up the vocals, they scream, rant, sing, whisper, etc... while Shai Hulud only has the most monotonous yell in hardcore history. Even more monotone than Hatebreed and Earth Crisis, as hard as that is to believe. Sometimes monotone vocals aren't that bad, like in Isis, because they aren't as noticable... but this is most definitely not the case with Shai Hulud.

A lot of hardcore bands have singers with that monotone yell like that guy in Shai Hulud but I don't mind. I have a kicking time listening to Shai Hulud for their music not really for their vocalist. Poison The Well, their vocals just sounds whiney.

Big ups to that last post. I don't really care how you sing. Just don't whine to me.

Shai Hulud has very depressing lyrics, from a point of view. They can be uplifting and reaffirming from others. I'm all about telling the people exactly what's on your mind. I'm a blues fan and can really appreciate emotional lyrics. But, I want to identify with the band, not feel sorry for them. I can strongly identify with Shai Hulud.

For comparing them with another band... they really don't hit me as all that different from the mainstream hardcore. They just seem to play with more heart than most.

My heart bleeds the darkest blood.

LuminousAether said:

I'm completely straightedge..I don't get why you bash something that you aren't being forced to become..

I absolutely hate straight edge. Sxe sheep try to force their stupid, malformed, and repressive ideologies on others in a similar manner to the puritan scum of history. They are even worse than Jehova's Witnesses, absolute mindless sheep promulgating and perpetuating inanities. It is my pride and duty to help people break their edge as often as possible.

LuminousAether said:
I absolutely hate straight edge. Sxe sheep try to force their stupid, malformed, and repressive ideologies on others in a similar manner to the puritan scum of history. They are even worse than Jehova's Witnesses, absolute mindless sheep promulgating and perpetuating inanities. It is my pride and duty to help people break their edge as often as possible.
I don't think that Shai Hulud preaches straightedge in their lyrics; most of their lyrics are just simply misanthropic and bleak. Bands like Earth Crisis and Strife try to force straightedge on other people through their lyrics, not Shai Hulud. In fact, I didn't even know that Shai Hulud were a straightedge band. I think I heard that Poison The Well are staightedge as well.