Shai Hulud

Well, if a band is straightedge, it's not going to bother me unless they preach about it. I remember listening to a Shai Hulud song that seemed preachy to me. Maybe it was only one song and maybe I misheard it, but whatever it was it left me with a sense of distaste. Poison the Well's lyrics didn't strike me as straightedge, mostly about relationships, suicide, and anti-religion.

And I absolutely can't stand Earth Crisis, they make me want to vomit.

LuminousAether said:
And I absolutely can't stand Earth Crisis, they make me want to vomit.
Lol. I used to listen to them, but I am NOT straightedge myself. I just ignored the preachy lyrics on songs such as Gommorah's Season Ends. The music is very angry and aggressive and pretty metal though. Oddly enough, I'd rather hear a band sing about straightedge than sing about their girlfriends - that I find the most annoying.

I never really thought of Shai Hulud as sxe. I don't know if they are and I don't care. They're a killer band.

I'm not sxe, (never have been, never will be), but I'm all in favor of it. Preaching to me doesn't work. To be honest, preaching to me is a really easy way to piss me off in a big way.

It's cool if you don't do drugs and it's cool if you want to sing about it. Where I like it is exactly where it works. Our impressionable youth. It seems like everywhere they turn, people are saying that drugs are cool. I don't mean in the home, necessarily. I mean on the radio, tv and the school hallways. A "don't do drugs" message from a band that kids respect is a good thing. Who gives a shit if you find their message irritating? They're not preaching to me...a guy in his mid twenties who can very well handle his shit.

Some of the kids take it too far, but some smoke crack and it seems like far more have babies. Kids these days are so fucked in so many ways that most of the time, I have no hope at all for the future.

An anti-drug movement is a good thing.

LuminousAether said:
I absolutely hate straight edge. Sxe sheep try to force their stupid, malformed, and repressive ideologies on others in a similar manner to the puritan scum of history. They are even worse than Jehova's Witnesses, absolute mindless sheep promulgating and perpetuating inanities. It is my pride and duty to help people break their edge as often as possible.

I think you've come across a bad group of em...I don't force anything on anyone..I am completely open minded to those who drink, smoke, do drugs, and have premarital relations..

Earth Crisis is extremely boring. Yeah, I gotta agree with that.

I know what you mean. A lot of kids just do drugs to look cool and tell it to their fans. I'm not saying everybody that does drugs are like that though. It's pretty annoying honestly. Like you said youth have very impressionable minds to look all rebellious and shit. Pantera's song "We'll Grind That Axe For A Long Time" is all about this. If you're interested read it.

OK, I'm about to get some Shai Hulud. Based on research, I see they have two full lengths, 1 EP, and two split EP's. Am I right?

What should I get?

Dreamlord said:
OK, I'm about to get some Shai Hulud. Based on research, I see they have two full lengths, 1 EP, and two split EP's. Am I right?

What should I get?
Get Hearts Once Nourished With Hope And Compassion. It is their first full length, and is in my opinion a tad better than That Within Blood Ill Tempered, their new CD.

I heard one guy in Shai Hulud or something joined New Found Glory later. That's shameful... Being in a hardcore group than joining a pop punk one.

Hmmm... after downloading the new Shai Hulud... my opinion has been cemented. They are just as bad as Hatebreed, pure and utter shit. Their music is uniform, very cliched and VERY derivative. They are a very basic band with almost no deviation from their core sound which has continued throughout their career. Their vocalist is godawful, he's probably the worst screamer in hardcore that I have ever heard. His voice is very bland and unoriginal and the lyrics are laughable. This is weak and uninspired drivel and I deleted the album before I even listened all the way through (except for sampling each song) as I found it to be one of the most tiring and dull listens I have had in years. Avoid at all costs.

LuminousAether said:
Hmmm... after downloading the new Shai Hulud... my opinion has been cemented. They are just as bad as Hatebreed, pure and utter shit. Their music is uniform, very cliched and VERY derivative. They are a very basic band with almost no deviation from their core sound which has continued throughout their career. Their vocalist is godawful, he's probably the worst screamer in hardcore that I have ever heard. His voice is very bland and unoriginal and the lyrics are laughable. This is weak and uninspired drivel and I deleted the album before I even listened all the way through (except for sampling each song) as I found it to be one of the most tiring and dull listens I have had in years. Avoid at all costs.
Hmm. Different people just have different taste I guess. Shai Hulud are my favorite hardcore band, and I see nothing wrong with their music; it is heavy, melodic, and atmospheric, which is not a common combination in the genre. I suppose Poison The Well is similar, but I can't stand their occasional emo vocals and lyrics about relationships.

Firstly, I'd call the screams in Poison the Well emo vocals, not the singing. Those are clean vocals. Emo is a style of hardcore, after all.

Secondly, the singing is not like the false emo crap like Dashboard Confessional, it is more like Failure and Cave In, two bands who are not emo really at all. I think of Poison the Well as a space rock influenced emocore band, with the emo being firmly rooted in the hardcore sense.

Isn't Emo punk seperate subgenre from hardcore...? There are a lot of emo/hardcore groups coming out these days. The only one I like so far is Glassjaw.