Share Collage Tastes

It's objective truth. Quorthon innovated nothing with that album, all he did was take established epic trad/power ideas and pad them into oblivion. Horrible album, totally pointless when Manowar exists.

It's not, it's subjective and delusional. Not denying the massive Manowar influence but what you're suggesting implies clone band degrees of pointlessness. You're over-exaggerating because you're an edgelord contrarian of course. That is objective truth.

Reactions: The Butt
Name me the most unique and compelling song on the album and why you believe it is so.

Lack of innovation in something new doesn't render that something pointless. It's an album of music not a supposedly superior new technique to do a heart transplant.

What I personally love about those epic metal Bathory albums is that they specifically tried to harness the more 'majestic' elements in Manowar (and other bands like Manilla Road) and make an entire album out of it, bursting with reminiscence, heroic background chants etc.

The uniqueness of Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods is that it tried to achieve something by expanding on specific elements in the Manowar sound while completely omitting their faster, more standard heavy metal elements found in songs like "Animals" or "Gloves of Metal" and "Kill with Power."

For me, the entire albums (including Blood on Ice) are compelling.

Last edited:
shores in flames is my favorite song on that album and probably my favorite song in general.
I guess I forgot to explain why. The reason Shores in Flames is such a compelling piece of art for me is that it truly captures the aspects of what it is to be a man. The narration of viking life strikes me with a sense that the person knows his place in life, and is contempt with his role in humanity. A man who identifies with his culture and would put his life down for the expansion of his kingdom. A man who hungers for adventure, but who also honors it as per the Norse funeral, which he realizes may be soon to come in his next battle. I'm currently at a point in my life where I do not know such things, I do not know what my adventure shall be, what my place in life is, what my religious beliefs are, hell I don't even know which culture I should participate in or my morality. But when I sing this song, I feel like I know my place. I'm immediately catapulted into the role of the man, the viking, the barbarian who unlike me knows his place. It's something that makes me feel strong, brave, and honorable. All of the characteristics I would say is held by a proper man. It's almost like ritual meditation to me at this point, I refuse to listen to the song without personally singing and beating my chest to it because of the degree of respect that I hold for it. I think you have to be a certain personality to appreciate it the same way I do, and I also think being European is a pre-requisite.

The comparison to Manowar I don't see at all. Not the lyrics, atmosphere or guitar riffs are comparable. Hammerheart is heavy, and Manowar is more so up beat in a just-before-a-competition kind. Hammerheart for me is like an honoring of who you are before a battle that may likely end your life.

I'd like to add that the music also gives you a feeling of deep seriousness and concentration [especially at the end when you can hear the oak burning as it drifts through the waves, very existential feelings], the kind that you would experience before a war. I guess my imagination does the work for me. Hope you didn't cringe too hard at this.

It is cohesive, but if you like a specific element of an album, you will probably also really like an album that focuses on exploring that specific element.

What you said about Hammerheart being completely unnecessary because Into Glory Ride and Hail to England exists is fucking stupid.

It's as unnecessary as the hundreds of retro-speed metal bands, despite there being no 100% speed metal albums from the 80s.

7.5 years sounds about right actually.

Also, when did The Spectre Within become the board's favorite?

I realised I’d forgotten to include Melissa right after I’d posted it! But no way is it replacing A Blaze... should probably be in the second tier somewhere!

Also, TRitSiO hardly has great cover art either, but I suppose it blends in with the colours.

Reactions: Dazed and Brutal
Ok, I'm not a big fan of making lists, but here you go. Tried to cover it best way I could, limiting it to metal only. Each of those albums have some special meaning to me, but hell, I might have forgotten something, dunno.

Don't judge.

top list.PNG