Should I get Enslaved's Vertebrae album?

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
Should I get Enslaved's Vertebrae album? I think the song The Watcher is great, but I didn't like the song Clouds much, do you think I should still get Vertebrae? If not that maybe Runn, Below The Lights, etc..? Because I clearly like Path to Venir and Havenless.

Hell fucking yes.

Unless you're not a fan of Enslaved. The production on the album is not nearly as good as Below the Lights / Isa / Ruun, and that understandably put a lot of people off. But the songs themselves are great.

Edit: Wait, just noticed you don't have Below / Ruun / Isa. Get Isa / Below the Lights first. Then get Vertebrae, then get Ruun. Their earlier stuff rocks, too... I have their all their albums (not pirated)!

Get Blodhemn first - perfect for Borknagar and Satyricon fans, then Frost. Vertebrae is a great album, better than Isa and Ruun IMO.

Maybe this will be useful for you:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84V_rbkeEfk&fmt=18[/ame]

I always say when it comes to music, follow your own instincs. But when it comes to the Norweigan masters Enslaved, in every album there is something to explore and loose your mind to.

The CD Store was out of Enslaved today so I guess I'll probably end up ordering whatever Enslaved CD I want, which will probably be Eld.

The only thing with Enslaved you should keep in mind... every album sounds pretty different. So if someone recommends to you Isa first, and another recommends Eld, it's almost like they're recommending different bands to you. My favorite is Below the Lights... that's their most melancholic and strange album. But Isa is good in more conventional ways, and Eld / Frost are probably the two most "classic" Enslaved albums, if I could describe them together in any way.

To me:

Of the new era Ruun is the best followed closely by Below the Lights and Vertebrae. Those three all have unique standout parts and the other two are sorta samey throughout. I don't know a lot about the earlier era but would be open to suggestions. I only have Frost and liked it.

Or Arcturus, another band I've yet to get a CD from, I'd like to get one of theirs, probably Aspiera Hymns Symfonia or The Sham Mirros depending on my mood.

This discussion will never end :rofl:. Arcturus IMO is a better purchase than Enslaved but you'll have even more problems with them, cause their albums are so damn different from each other. La Masquerade Infernale for me is the best way to start with them, so if you find LMI, buy it.

Should I get Enslaved's Vertebrae album? I think the song The Watcher is great, but I didn't like the song Clouds much, do you think I should still get Vertebrae? If not that maybe Runn, Below The Lights, etc..? Because I clearly like Path to Venir and Havenless.

Those three albums are pure winners. I love them...some of the best metal ever made - seriously. Get all three, please.