Should Opeth lose the growls?

• Yes, lets ditch the growls....!

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • No, Mikåel's demon-voice turns me on!

Votes: 64 94.1%
  • They should have no vocals at all!

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
When I first heard Opeth and wasn't used to growls i thought they should. Then I realised what made Opeth special was the balnce between the clean vocals and growls. The dynamics are just so good :) And I think Mikael has a good voice. I'm sure I would stop listening if he growled all the time. In fact I think Opeth are about the only band that I really like who growl cos I think it takes limited skill and gets very boring

Come on now everyone, I could see Opeth doing songs like Demon of the Fall and Serenity Painted Death in all clean vocals. I think we could all groove to that :lol:

Originally posted by Useful Idiot
Those two votes are disturbing me greatly, and I seriously wonder if this is a joke.

If you read all the posts, the casters of The Two Votes should be quite obvious. I'm 120% sure who the other is.

Originally posted by Johan
I am into growling, but I find the older Amorphis albums boring. I totally LOVE Am Universum though.

"That crystal heart, shatters within..."

It's one of my current favourites.

Tales from the 1000 Lakes rules :)

There's a reason why there is a yin/yang in the O of the Opeth logo... It's all about dichotomy. It's about balance. Like other people have said, lose all the growls and you lose Opeth.

Originally posted by Demonspell
Am Universum is cool...grieve stricken heart, calls upon you!

Yeah I love that one too, but I always thought it should be "grief stricken" so that bugs me just a tad.

I'm a linguistic nerd ;)

As I said, I didn't say they SHOULD lose them, i'm asking you. And by the votes, i'd say the answer is pretty obvious.

Just a few points:
-Too many bands are doing that sort of thing? I don't think so. The only ones I can think of are Amorphis and Katatonia.
-Anyone can growl, but not many can sing like Mik.
-Why would they sound like other bands? I wonder, would Mik use growls if Celtic Frost or whoever started them didn't do them?

Hmm.. I'm all for the growls, and while a lot of people can growl, it's true..

I'd say that there are proportionately more "singers" than "growlers" in the world. Mikael isn't alone, and in singing terms, he's good in the world of "popular" music (that's anything rap/country/metal/rock/pop).. but in terms of classical, etc, Mikael wouldn't win any competitions. Would you want to hear Opeth with that "vibrato" opera style of singing? Me neither.

What makes the difference is that he's great at both. He has a fantastic growl full of character and emotion (that's something lacking in most growls) and a singing voice that complements the growl and the music perfectly.

Blackwater Park had a lot of singing, more, it seems, than previous albums. I like the blend on Still Life, myself. But that's just me :heh:

Anyone can growl, but not many can sing like Mik.

not everyone can growl...trust me, on the surface one growl may seem like another, but there is a huge range in quality and skill of those growls. Not all growls are the same at all. Just think of the emotion you get during Lethe from Dark Tranquillity, and tell me “anyone” could do that...or the power and anger during Serenity Painted Death...

I know for sure I can't growl...seems like a combination of practice and talent to me. And to be able to sing beautifully as well...that's just more damn talent.

I just voted to lose the growls.

Why?

As they are touring more now, Mikael's throat is going to take one hell of a pounding, and he really belts that shit out.

Have you ever heard Barney Greenway just TALK? His throat's shredded.

That's what I fear is in the future for Akerfeldt if they tour more and more. He'll shred his voice... and gone will be his ability to really sing.

I wonder if Mendez or Lindgren can growl... that would be the perfect solution here.