SKYRIM!

A bit of a head's up...I changed my keys to match Oblivion, and ended up breaking the 'F" Favorite keystroke at the Items menu. If you assign F to anything other than the default, it fucks it up and you won't be able to add items to your Favorites menu until you reset ALL the controls to back to default.

I was a latecomer to Ovlivion, and didn't really stop playing it until about 2 months ago. Still getting used to the different feel of Skyrim.

I typically don't start with very much magic other than restoration and some destruction, but once I get really advanced and bored of hack n' slash, I start focusing more on alchemy and spells.

What quests are you guys doing? I started on the Companions guild, but am now jumping back and forth a bit between it and the main quest.

A bit of a head's up...I changed my keys to match Oblivion, and ended up breaking the 'F" Favorite keystroke at the Items menu. If you assign F to anything other than the default, it fucks it up and you won't be able to add items to your Favorites menu until you reset ALL the controls to back to default.

Try pressing your reassigned 1st/3rd Person Camera switch key - it works here when i want to favorite items (while it still states that i have to press F).

What quests are you guys doing?

Random stuff there and there, i don't want to go too far in the main quest line yet.

re. Giants and all other properly powerful big creatures: there is still a way to kill them if you can use ranged weapons/spells and if you can find a nice big rock to jump on and kill them with like 50 to 100 arrows when you are out of their reach and at level 5 lol.

been playing for a few days now, some thoughts...

i'm so fucking sick of looking at the Oblivion engine, i really thought they had a new engine for Skyrim, it even read that way somewhere... they've refined it, but it's still too close to how it was in Oblivion. personally a huge disappointment. some of the graphical flaws might be because of the xbox hardware, though.

that said, i do enjoy the game and the story so far is quite good. lots of things to do. i was mainly hoping a little more variation than everyone just going "take this item to this guy" or such, but it's clear that the engine has once again been limiting there. it's all mostly fun though and some missions are surprisingly clever.

one of the weirdest things is that i'm lvl 19 by now and the dragons are literally piss-easy to kill, but some random dudes with no specially powerful items can beat the fuck out of me using some generic axe or generic magic.

i had this guy who only had a dwarven axe and some shitty armor, kill my companion, make me use all my health potions, and chase me through the whole dungeon and like a kilometer outside of it - i went to get help from an imperial camp, and that guy slayed like 6 of the soldiers with ease before the remaining 10 and i were able to put that fucker down! i mean, what the shit?? and fucking DRAGONS i can take on alone, using only a bow??

Around 8 or 9, I think. They're fucking everywhere.

What do you (or anybody else) do with the dragon scales and dragon bones? I've been saving them 'cause I don't know what they're used for

i haven't found any use for those either, other than selling. but they're a bit on the heavy side to carry around a lot.

I'm downloading the fucking update and Steam says "8 minutes left" since 50 minutes :lol:
The DL speed is constant (40 kbits) and it still fails so hard with the estimated download time it's ridiculous :puke:

Random Frost Trolls seem to be considerably higher level than anything else nearby at times. Nightmarish fuckers... let's just say I kill them by quite literally going beast mode, if you catch my drift

I can only guess the dragon scales might be used for making dragonscale armour at some point? Not sure...I've only killed 2 dragons and I had some help from townsfolk both times. Been trying to do alot of the misc quests that come up before doing the named ones but I've been inducted into the Companions. Trying to build up some cash to buy a crib for some of the stuff I've been finding, mostly enchanted stuff I want to keep.

I'm downloading the fucking update and Steam says "8 minutes left" since 50 minutes :lol:
The DL speed is constant (40 kbits) and it still fails so hard with the estimated download time it's ridiculous :puke:

remember what i wrote in the "steam was hacked thread" !? :D

ok, bought it today installed, waited half an hour for the update,
started playing, YEAH IT'S COOL, but the controls are HORRIBLE!

first of all the game does not give a fuck how you map the keys.
if USE is on E by default you can set it to ENTER or whatever.

it works but the game still shows that USE is E, how stupid is that!?

i had and still have the same problems in battlefield 3...fucking console ports!

now, greedy as i am i picked up a lot of useles stuff and now i can't move.

the game says i should press R to drop items...well i pressed R about a thousand
times now but nothing happens, that'S so lame, any ideas!?

i also can't find the key R or anything that says "drop item" in the control setting,
i'm really confused right now.

ok, bought it today installed, waited half an hour for the update,
started playing, YEAH IT'S COOL, but the controls are HORRIBLE!

first of all the game does not give a fuck how you map the keys.
if USE is on E by default you can set it to ENTER or whatever.

it works but the game still shows that USE is E, how stupid is that!?

i had and still have the same problems in battlefield 3...fucking console ports!

now, greedy as i am i picked up a lot of useles stuff and now i can't move.

the game says i should press R to drop items...well i pressed R about a thousand
times now but nothing happens, that'S so lame, any ideas!?

i also can't find the key R or anything that says "drop item" in the control setting,
i'm really confused right now.

Go to a killed NPC. Now open up the looting window and try it again. You drop your junk on the dead guy instead of looting him.

GL, that worked for me. ;)

Yeah I'm also having an issue with trading gear with hired companions. Says 'R' to give but it doesn't do anything...

I can't stress enough how shitty and buggy the menu system is for the PC. Really kills the flow of the game at times. Worst design ever. I would expect the incorrect labelling issue after changing key assignments to be fixed soon, though...it's a pretty shitty bug.

Some positives, though:
Dig the Favorites menu...tip: you can assign your Favorites to number keys by pulling up the menu, highlighting the item, then pressing the desired number key.

As far as I can tell, the vendors only sell you spells that you are able to cast. Not being a big spellcaster other than destruction and restoration, this saves me a lot of time.

A lot less useless/functionless loot laying around.

Digging the dual-hand thing, although I wasn't a fan at first. It's cool to be able to have destruction in one hand, sword in the other, and still be able to do the shouts or powers. In Oblvion, you only had one spell action key.

New lockpicking is cool...most chests aren't even locked, though.

The enchanting system is pretty sweet.

Still undecided on the Level Up/Skills menu.

@Mutant
thanks for the info, works so far, still everything is labeled wrong, i hope it gets fixed soon.

played a few hours now and i can say, it's fucking EPIC! :D

a few more bugs still ruin it a bit. some of the characters just stop talking,
so i often do not ralize what they told me and what i have to do exactly^^

some of the animations look poor. facing to one side, then clicking somehere
else makes the player just instantly turn there. the actual turning is not animated,
it just "jumps" into the other direction. not a big thing but it could be done better though.