Slate Virtual Mix RACK

Looks like VMR is loading faster and the new console is pretty perfect for metal rhythm guitars. Has the low-end thump of the Neve console without the muddiness, and it accentuates the high mids but not the fizz. Sheeeeeeeeeeit.

It's nonsense like this that made me go a buy a REAL FUCKING DESK

Funny that you say that because I'm thinking of buying one indeed (possibly a Z16). Dealing with real knobs instead of keyboards/mouse will be a premiere for me :)

Running VMR with the new vcc2.0 in PT10/ mac osx 10.8.

Takes a few seconds the first time I load it, but after that it's been snappy and perfect. I'm happy.

Works great in Sonar X3 64bit on Win 7. I swapped out VCC1 with 2.0 and just matched the settings and overall really liking the difference. Feels a little more responsive, not quite as static of a vibe. Neve isn't as flubby but still retains that hyped low end. I'll need to wait to mix into it from start. Really like the new 4k E on the master, the linking options and the increased gain range is really helpful, 6db wasn't enough in VCC1.

On the VCC 2.0 manual it states the Mixbuss is designed to be used on the Master insert but what about stereo busses? Just the regular channels?

Either / or.

I use the mix buss on distorted rhythm guitar buss as the SSL works its magic on the upper mids, but then I'll just use the channel on back ground vocal buss.

I'm not sure how it works technically (if the VCC channel will independently process the L/R of the stereo or whatever...)

I stated this over on GS, but can someone here help me with this?

It seems odd that the input/output knobs should be modified as part of the group! Shouldn't these be track specific? And then, if you want to drive the group harder, then turn up the drive knob?

Am I missing something? What is the thinking behind gain staging the group together? Surely the drive knob obviates this?

On the VCC 2.0 manual it states the Mixbuss is designed to be used on the Master insert but what about stereo busses? Just the regular channels?

technically the mixbus should be used on busses as well if you want to simulate the workflow on a console - everytime stuff is summed together you'd use the mixbus.
thats what it is modeling. the summing stage of the console. the channel just models the line amplifier of the console channel.

if you want to simulate the workflow on a console

technically the mixbus should be used on busses as well if you want to simulate the workflow on a console - everytime stuff is summed together you'd use the mixbus.
thats what it is modeling. the summing stage of the console. the channel just models the line amplifier of the console channel.

if you want to simulate the workflow on a console

That's my thinking but isn't the circuitry on the busses different to the main mix buss on a console like a 4K?

I'd assume the stereo busses provided are the same as the channels but in stereo? I may be way off here, never worked on a 4k

I'd love for Slate to give a clear response to this.

Well i sent -another- ticket because apparently my old one didn't count either because it was not actually on 7.5 but on an earlier version. Anyway I don't see crash in reaper being listed in the known issues list of that new version.

Current behaviour with 1.0.7.8 :
(by so far I mean I didn't test them on a real normal sized project)
- .au seems, so far, stable
- .vst seem to be working so far as in it works in-session and does its intended job BUT still, as long as a single vst instance has been loaded at some point in reaper, it will crash on exit. It doesn't freeze before, i can close a project, then open another one, and in fact work on the sessions fine, but as soon as the Reaper instance will try to quit, it will crash. I haven't tried with more intensive use of the plugin.
- it seems like loading up a project with normal use of Slate plugins will occasionally and randomly crash during the load up of plugins process

Do you guys also have a lag of about 2/3 seconds when you load an instance of VMR ? With the mouse pointer going to "waiting wheel" mode ?

That's my thinking but isn't the circuitry on the busses different to the main mix buss on a console like a 4K?

I'd assume the stereo busses provided are the same as the channels but in stereo? I may be way off here, never worked on a 4k

I'd love for Slate to give a clear response to this.

to be honest i don't know the design so i can't say how the summing amps differ. i'm also not sure if i understand your question correctly :)
as soon as you combine two or more tracks and sum them together you'd use the mixbus plugin. be it for the mix bus, your drum bus, instrument bus etc. actually you would even use it on auxes for verbs for example. on all those occasion you would use some sort of summing on the console.
the channel plugin is (to my understanding) basically a distortion plugin like decapitator but way more subtle. it models the distortion that would occur if you'd hit a single channel of a desk hard. so i guess the stereo version of those would just be a multi-mono version of those but i'm not sure.

the mixbus is the plugin that actually models the summingamp (crosstalk etc..) so it would still be closer to working on an analog desk even if the circuitry of the busses was different.

i also think that the distortion that the mixbus gives you is more subtle than the one of the channel and theres is probably more saturation and compression.