slightly less than a day at the border

rahvin

keeper of the flame
Oct 10, 2001
safe but not far from the city
yesterday dark tranquillity played at the "a day at the border" festival in milan. though the gig was announced just a few days earlier, the band found a lot of support from the public waiting for them there.

having arrived at the site a little later than predicted, the band barely had time to check that all of them were there before their set started. after a few seconds of uncertainty due to the token malfunctioning of the microphone, everything went absolutely smooth sound-wise, to the point that i feel like saying this is actually the best performance i have heard from the band, thanks to some really wonderful output.
without wasting a single second, dark tranquillity went through a pretty tight, heavy set of eight children's faves:
  • the sun fired blanks
  • the treason wall
  • punish my heaven
  • monochromatic stains
  • damage done
  • the wonders at your feet
  • zodijackyl light
  • final resistance
the response from the crowd was amazing: there were no more than a couple of hundred people standing in front of the stage - more were just sitting on the chairs all around this domed building where the whole festival took place - but they were all jumping and singing along as if they had been awaiting for ages to see that very show... and they couldn't even know dt were to play there until tuesday!
mikael was his typical energetic self, jumping around on stage as if this was the happiest thing anyone could be doing - i might venture for him it is ;) - and soliciting excited cries from the crowd whenever he got near to those who were closer to the stage. after the show he also reached a thin barrier separating the crowd from the backstage and shook hands and signed autographs then and there: many a metalhead commented (to me, your faithful moderator in diguise :p) that he was the most easy-going and friendly guy in the scene, as noone else even considered spending so much time with the fans right after a gig.
niklas found a new love for headbanging, wearing his unbraided hair a little longer than usual and duetting with martin h whenever the guitars were coming to the front in a song.
yet another thing i've noticed was the impressive work anders does on drums on those fast songs like zodijackyl light: i was personally wishing my drummer friends could be there to see him.

the songs were all perfectly performed, without any new trick added from the last tour (yes, the abrupt stop on zodijackyl light is still there), as there was hardly time to go through the whole set in the 30' allowed to the band.
it seems like it's a constant of the latest performances, though, that the voice is sometimes swallowed by the other instruments. after hearing the same effect in a couple of places i'm starting to think it might not have to do with the venue but with the sounds the band chooses to employ... definitely something to watch out for in the future.

after the gig a very strict and annoying security had half the band going through pains just to certify to half of the world that yes, we were with them and allowed to hang out in their area. after bereaucracy got sorted through, though, we had the best of time in ages just sitting there drinking (free!) beer and chatting. just two things perturbed the pleasant atmosphere: the heat+sun (how's your head, warwick? :erk: ) and the mosquitoes, who totally destroyed me while leaving mikael absolutely undisturbed... now don't you people say i wouldn't give my blood for this band. :p
anyway, we stayed there through the whole afternoon and evening. i've especially liked chatting with bandmembers i seldom have a chance to talk with (hi martin b and martin h :)), and niklas ought to have on his camera some very embarrassing pictures of me and mikael being... a tad enthusiastic about each other's company. :p
at some point i guess the band was to leave for an aftershow party in a nearby club, but my allergy, the mosquitoes and the fact that i had to drive for a couple of hours in the night just to get home suggested it'd be better for me to leave the party, and so i did.
next report: july, spain. :)

rahvin.

Reactions: Ormir and Siren
Waaah! [some idiotic maniacal screaming and jumping, then smiling unstopably] :D :loco: :loco:
Goash, I'm so excited! :D I wish I were there with you... :rolleyes:
It seems that:
1) DT are really playing their old great tracks with the new great ones [yeah!];
2) the guys got drunk before the show again; :D
3) Nicklas is getting into the right direction :D HEADBANG !!! ARGH !!! :D
4) rahvin wears disguise?... :err:
5) Anders now plays even better than on recorded songs? :tickled: They'll blow my roof if I see them live!
6) Martin H. doesn't like hot sun [me too];
7) Mikael is not tasty :D
8) rahvin and Mikael...hmmm... :err: :D Anyway, will you show us the photos? :rolleyes: Ple-e-ease...

Tranquil Chaos said:
sorry ormir maybe you should move to sweden, hehe.
maybe there should just be a DT gig in Finland. :p

Siren (you can move in greece too :loco: )

nice story :)

now I just need to see them live next time I can...

and I hope it's better than the last band I went ot see (they played a six minute set then the idiots running the place kicked them off the stage and put on some shitty emo band...

Steve

Rahvin: Nice report! Keep up the good work in Spain. :)

It was good to hear the break in ZL is still there - I really want to see how it works on the DVD.

Ormir said:
Rumour is a tour in autumn with Lacuna Coil is being planned. :D

If I just dared to hope...

-Villain (all fingers crossed)

@villain: another slight variation takes place in zl which i didn't notice before - but maybe it's always been there. at the "they ride" point, mikael adds one "they ride" to substitute the (rather impossible as he's the only one who sings) backing-vocals one that's on the record. in order to achieve the effect and keep the rhythm, he goes alot faster, in a sort of "theyridetheyridetheyride" craze. do you remember it having been there before?

rahvin.

Yeah, now that you mentioned it, I recall I have heard it that way too. Now I just wonder, whether it was when I saw them live last summer or on World Domination Live - or both? I think I'll listen through WDL next...

-Villain

Villain said:
Rahvin: Nice report! Keep up the good work in Spain. :)

It was good to hear the break in ZL is still there - I really want to see how it works on the DVD.

If I just dared to hope...

-Villain (all fingers crossed)

Tampere, Lutakko was at least confirmed from their side at some point.

Yeah it was confirmed but now it's already been cancelled due to some stupid incidents. And Lutakko is in Jyväskylä, btw.

And this is why the gig got cancelled:

Päivät kaikille.

Listan ulkopuolisille siis tiedoksi, että viime perjantain Deströyer666 jää Lutakon viimeiseksi blackmetalkeikaksi. Mattia lainatakseni "valitettavasti pieni, mutta sitäkin tyhmempi osallistujakunta mukaanlukien yleisön kuin artistienkin edustajista pilaa koko homman."

Noilla keikoillahan on perinteisesti ollut vähän turhan aggressiivista meininkiä, joka on jo pidempään vituttanut järjestävää tahoa aika lailla. Nimenomaisesti vielä niin, että vaikka asiakkaat osaisivatkin käyttäytyä niin sitten esiintyjät itse rikkovat paikkoja tai vetävät turpaan ketä milloinkin. Nyt perjantaina Deströyer666 ja Black Dawn jäivät yöksi Lutakon majoitustiloihin ja sieltä oli sitten aamun tunteina paiskottu kalusto ikkunasta mäkeen ja koko majoitustila vedetty täysin säpäleiksi.

Toisin sanoen tuli niinku mitta täyteen, ja totesimme että jos meininki on tällaista niin eiköhän nämä hommat ole nyt nähty. Ei huvita setviä kaiken perussetvimisen päälle jotain että kuka ekana aloitti ja en maksa kun se ikkuna oli jo rikki kun minä siihen tulin -sössötyksiä, kuten myöskään ei yhtään enää kiinnosta jokaisiin blackmetal-bileisiin hankkia jotain erityisvahvuutta järjestysmiesosastolle, että saadaan homma pysymään hanskassa, kun missään muissa bileissä ei samanlaisia ongelmia ole. Johonkin se raja sitten vedetään, sillä tässä talossa hyvä meininki on tärkeämpää kuin raha tai muu sellainen.

Tämä koskee siis nimenomaan vain bläkkispuolen keikkoja, perusmetalli-illat jatkuvat tietenkin kuten ennenkin, koska niissä sekä yleisö että artistit käyttäytyvät ihmisten tavoin.

terv. Jonna

rahvin said:
@villain: another slight variation takes place in zl which i didn't notice before - but maybe it's always been there. at the "they ride" point, mikael adds one "they ride" to substitute the (rather impossible as he's the only one who sings) backing-vocals one that's on the record. in order to achieve the effect and keep the rhythm, he goes alot faster, in a sort of "theyridetheyridetheyride" craze. do you remember it having been there before?

rahvin.
Uhh... at least on the World Domination Tour and Wacken 2001 there's 5 "they ride's", just like on the album version.

Ormir said:
Uhh... at least on the World Domination Tour and Wacken 2001 there's 5 "they ride's", just like on the album version.

there were five on saturday too, the one sung by the backing vox gets added inbetween the other twos by the lead singer instead of overlapping (underlapping?) the others.
but...

*remembers he's home now*
... ok, i can check it out too. :)

rahvin.