So i'm planning a trip around northern europe this summer.......

John_C

formerly Skeksis268
Dec 30, 2008
Coventry, UK
www.myspace.com
..........and seeing as there are quite a few people from there on this forum i thought i'd ask if there were any towns/places they'd recommend or bands that have to be seen if I happened to be in the right place at the right time

any ideas?

so far i'm hoping to visit the south of Norway, followed by the south of Sweden, up through Sweden to the north of Norway and Sweden, then across and down through Finland. Germany, Poland and Denmark are also possibilities if time and money allow

I've never been, but I hear taking a train from Oslo to Bergen is supposed to be pretty amazing scenery! Just one idea.

I'll be in Holland and Germany this summer. I was hoping to make it to Norway or Sweden, but I don't think I'll have the time or the funds. Some day though.

-Joe

If you stumble upon Stam1na's gig while in Finland, be sure to check it out. Awesome live performances!

+1 for Stam1na, altho they are on a break for now.

http://www.stam1na.com/index2.php?p=keikat

I don't know what way you swing, but heres my two cents:
Nicole
Medeia
Norther
Sotajumala
Gloria Morti
Death Shape Figure
Diablo
Mokoma
Before The Dawn
Dark Filth Fraternity
Major Label
Deathchain
Rotten Sound
Amoral
Dauntless
Maj Karma
SinKing
KYPCK
Kotiteollisuus
Turisas
Teräsbetoni
MyGrain
Malummeh
CMX
Abduktio
Pofony
Waltari
Turmion Kätilöt
Deathbound
Tacere
Mors Principium Est
April
Swallow The Sun
Grendel
Scorngrain
Kill The Romance
Cause For Effect

I think thats enough? and if you want to hear something total shit, go see Widescreen Mode

If you wanna visit Norway, you have to visit Bergen...it's a pretty wonderfull city in the east cost. Oslo is nothing special. Nice cities are also Copenhagen, Stockolm, Arhuus, Malmo. Gotheborg sucks...or better...it's a good city (as all the northern Europe cities) but for a tourist there is nothing to see

What about visiting Liseberg in Gothenburg, it is the largest amusement park in Scandinavia (my father is a boss there; always free for me ¯\(°_o)/¯).

I love Bergen and Copenhagen, want to move there in the future, if you want to go to shows you should go to Aarhus in Denmark.

About german cities, I really like Hamburg, Berlin is ok.
Erfurt, Dresden, Düsseldorf or Dortmund are not that interessting in my opinion.
Munich is interessting, Stuttgart is nice but not too special.

If you are going to Stockholm then theres some metalclubs to visit that often has local or nonlocal bands on stage.
Pub Anchor is one place when its Club Distortion, Meduza is a metalclub in the old town (Dont think they have livebands though), Tantogården has som evenings when there are metalbands playing, Harry B James has some nights when its metalbands playing and so on. Debaser is a club that arrange alots of concerts with most famous acts.
Stockholm is unfortunately not that big on metal overall. Its mostly shitty danceclubs and such.
The best you can do is to look in the papers to see whats going on the night you arrive or visit the official homepages of the clubs.
If you are going by car its always nice to visit the archipelago (Is that the right word?) in the summer. Or just walk around in the old town, visiting some cafe´s, drink some mjöd at the "sjätte tunnan" or something similar.
In Finland i think they have this festival in the summers called "Tuuska metal festivaali" (Probably mis-spelled) with alot of finnish metalacts.

Just a couple of ideas.

Oh, and Liseberg in Gothenburg as the guy above said. Its great!
They have this cool wooden rollercoaster that is squiking and stuff when you ride. And ofcourse the Haunted house!!
In Stockholm you have "Gröna lund" that is the amusementpark.
They also have a Zoo on the other side of the road from Gröna lund that is kinda fun if you like animals haha.
Both is located on an half-island or something like that, that is called Djurgården. You can also visit the Vasa-museum on Djurgården as well and take a look of the big ass ship that sunk in 1628 and was recovered in 1961.
Its kinda cool if your into that. :lol:

In Finland i think they have this festival in the summers called "Tuuska metal festivaali" (Probably mis-spelled) with alot of finnish metalacts.

Tuska, but their line-up for this year is garbage:

Volbeat
Bullet For My Valentine
Neurosis
Paul Gilbert
Amorphis
My Dying Bride
Pestilence
Ensiferum
Gojira
Parkway Drive
Legion Of the Damned
Mucc
Girugämesh
Deathchain
Jon Olivas Pain
Eluveitie
Rotten Sound
Firewind
Gama Bomb
Profane Omen
Callisto
Medeia
Dauntless
Tukkanuotta

Only two bands I would go to see, and I've already seen them both (Gojira and Rotten Sound).

Instead of Tuska, I can recommend Jalometalli Festival:

Electric Wizard
Voivod
Atheist
Nifelheim
Hail of Bullets
Agent Steel
Storm Warrior
Asphyx
Paradox
Artillery
Burning Point
Deathchain

with more acts to be announced soon. Plus the festival isn't overcrowded.

Tuska thats it.
Yeah, that looks like a pretty boring lineup.
I was there in 2001 i think and saw Cob, Nightwish, To die for, + alots of bands.
I think its cool that its held inside Helsinki so that its close if you want to go out and take beer afterwards or whatever.
In Sweden, the biggest festival is Sweden rock and even though its great its a bit of a drive to just drop in and watch the bands you want to see and then do something else. Your stuck in a freaking tent and its dirty and its cold.
Im getting old or something because its not so fun anymore as it used to be. :loco:

Where is Jalometalli held?
Is it in Helsinki aswell?

I'd go with Gothenburg over Stockholm, and while northern sweden is damn nice, I guess there isn't to much to see here! Not to many festivals either. It's just a good place to hang out, and get stupid drunk! :lol:

Tuska, but their line-up for this year is garbage:

Volbeat
Bullet For My Valentine
Neurosis
Paul Gilbert
Amorphis
My Dying Bride
Pestilence
Ensiferum
Gojira
Parkway Drive
Legion Of the Damned
Mucc
Girugämesh
Deathchain
Jon Olivas Pain
Eluveitie
Rotten Sound
Firewind
Gama Bomb
Profane Omen
Callisto
Medeia
Dauntless
Tukkanuotta

Only two bands I would go to see, and I've already seen them both (Gojira and Rotten Sound).

Dude, they have Gojira AND Paul Gilbert? (Although PGs songs suck) I'd go just for them. If you want garbage, check out Sweden Rock. Expensive as all hell, and they have had the same bands for the last ten years.