So my little girl said something cool while listening to Opeth...

Excellent thread! Usually I just lurk, but seeing so many parents here, I decided to join the fray.

My 9 month old girl has heard Damnation a number of times, and I've secretly played the rest of the Opeth catalog very quietly out of the front speakers in the car while she's in the back. Obviously, she could still hear it. Sometimes she'd babble along a bit. Just don't tell my wife. She'd have me arrested for child abuse!

Oh yeah. My little girl and I watched the "making of" section on the Lamentations DVD, and any time Martin played the drums, she went nuts and started bouncing all around. I turned it off before Mikael started growling, though... Too scary for her to understand yet. Although, every time I hear the Cookie Monster on Sesame Street, I'm like... that's soooo metal!

I'm totally for a metal muppets thing!

*bump*

I was thinking about this thread the other day, and I realize two things now: 1. I was the last person to post, and 2. this was my very first post here!

Anyhoooo.... the reason I was thinking about this is because my daughter (the aforementioned 9 month old is now 2 years old!) was walking downstairs with me, holding my hand, and said, "Watch Opef, daddy?"

I said, "You want to watch Opeth?" we had watched Beyond Ghost Reveries the day before.

"Yeah!" She said. "Watch Teletubbies?"

"Uh...." I said.

She stopped on the stair and announced, "Watch Opef Teletubbies???" And I laughed. I tried to imagine what that might entail. It's at least an idea for the Photoshopeth thread!

When I ask her what Opeth sounds like, she growls. When I ask her what Opeth does, she says "Play guitar!" And I've taught her metal horns, but she can't really do it, so she says "Meh-dooo!" and sometimes inadvertantly gives me the finger. Which, I suppose, is pretty metal.

Reactions: lad
We were coming home from Grandma and Grandpa's house, I had Opeth playing (Ghost Reveries) and explained to her and my boy that this was "Halloween" music... "See, listen kids here comes the monster..." <The Grand Conjuration blares: "WIELD YOUR POWER!"> :headbang:

Then the cool part. My little girl is musically "hip" and she picks up on lyrics and melodies really well (have I mentioned she's only three!?). Isolation Years comes on. Now, I've always personally thought Opeth's music was very emotional, but it was REALLY cool to hear it confirmed from a three year old! The first few lines of Isolation Years is sung and she says to me: "Daddy, why is he so sad?" Hah!

Talk about a proud papa! :D

Very cool story, thanks for sharing.

the first time my kids (aged 6 and 8) heard Opeth, they just looked at eachother, grinned and started to grunt! They want to be in a metalband with me but havent decide yet who's going to play which instrument. almost 3years ago they bought me the best Mother's day present ever: a silver finger ring with skeletons and claws!:headbang:

you guys know Tenacious D and their modest hit "Tribute?" well, picture this: sitting with husband and kids in the car listening to Tribute. and just when the devil asked "Be you angels?" you hear two kids aged 3 and 4 actually SINGING "NAY! we are but men! ROCK!"
man, my husband and I laughed so hard we almost had an accident!
they do like metal (Opeth, SOAD and Arch Enemy especially) but also like hiphop....SIGH.....

you guys know Tenacious D and their modest hit "Tribute?" well, picture this: sitting with husband and kids in the car listening to Tribute. and just when the devil asked "Be you angels?" you hear two kids aged 3 and 4 actually SINGING "NAY! we are but men! ROCK!"
man, my husband and I laughed so hard we almost had an accident!
they do like metal (Opeth, SOAD and Arch Enemy especially) but also like hiphop....SIGH.....

Nice. I suppose that exposure to and perhaps the appreciation of hip hop is inevitable in this day and age.:erk:

We were coming home from Grandma and Grandpa's house, I had Opeth playing (Ghost Reveries) and explained to her and my boy that this was "Halloween" music... "See, listen kids here comes the monster..." <The Grand Conjuration blares: "WIELD YOUR POWER!"> :headbang:

Then the cool part. My little girl is musically "hip" and she picks up on lyrics and melodies really well (have I mentioned she's only three!?). Isolation Years comes on. Now, I've always personally thought Opeth's music was very emotional, but it was REALLY cool to hear it confirmed from a three year old! The first few lines of Isolation Years is sung and she says to me: "Daddy, why is he so sad?" Hah!

Talk about a proud papa! :D

thats awesome!

That's a great story, I'm going to play all sorts of music for my children (probably not growling when they're very young). That'll get them open-minded. (I hope.. :D)

That's a great story, I'm going to play all sorts of music for my children (probably not growling when they're very young). That'll get them open-minded. (I hope.. :D)

I've had no problem playing music with growling to my kids, even at a very young age. If they don't like the music I'm playing, they'll let me know immediately. In that case I just turn it off. And of course I keep the volume at a low level when listening to music around the kids. Not just metal, but all music.

It seems my son (3 years) likes metal (and has done so since he was just a few months old) more than my daughter (9 months). She does like to listen to metal from time to time, but it's very mood dependent for her.

I burst out laughing the first time I noticed that he was actually headbanging to the music in his little car seat. I believe he was around 18 months old and we were listening to Nightingale - Nightfall Overture (from the 10th anniversary album). :D

It was also fun seing him go nuts, bouncing like crazy on my shoulders, when we saw Amon Amrath live on the Close Up Festival almost a year ago. Unfortunately, he fell asleep before the highlight of the festival (Opeth). :headbang:

And people say that kids that age are too young to like music. :rolleyes:

I've had no problem playing music with growling to my kids, even at a very young age. If they don't like the music I'm playing, they'll let me know immediately In that case I just turn it off. And of course I keep the volume at a low level when listening to music around the kids. Not just metal, but all music.

exactly! got to protect their ears! and also true: if kids dont like what they're hearing, they'll let you know. I think its great you took your little boy to a festival!
I also try to respet their taste in music but they're not allowed to actually watch hiphop videos because 2 yrs ago my oldest son (then 6) started saying "bitch" and "Ho" to his gf... :mad: I calmly explain to him what those words meant and that they arent very friendly. luckily he understood and stopped saying them. but man, I wasn't very happy!:ill:

Then a few days later, I'm putting her to bed, and she asks me for some music - I figure one of her many Disney cds. And she says - no, I want "daddy music". And I say, like what? And she says, in a low growl, "The rain was waving goodbye..."

I laughed and put in Damnation for her.

Wow, I hope I'll be as lucky as you when I get kids ;)

It was also fun seing him go nuts, bouncing like crazy on my shoulders, when we saw Amon Amrath live on the Close Up Festival almost a year ago. Unfortunately, he fell asleep before the highlight of the festival (Opeth). :headbang:

I remember the thread on that, I always thought that was awesome that you'd take your little kids to a metal festival. Haha soundave your kids sound awesome. Can't wait to have little metal nuts of my own:lol: