So my little girl said something cool while listening to Opeth...

Cool. When I was a kid, my dad and I would listen to Tull, Deep Purple, and Zep in the car. He was psyched I liked that music. A great way to connect, and hear some good stories...

Definately. My father isn't a musician but he certainly listens to music that often times only musicians listen to. Usually technically challenging to play and even difficult to listen to. Mostly prog, jazz, and a little classical. My tastes pretty much began where his left off, encompasing the stuff I grew up on plus metal, real techno, and an expanded catalogue of classical music. He pretty much only exposed me to the stereotypical Beethoven and Mozart. Nowadays it's a LOT of horn focused Romantic period music. Berlioz ftw.

your 6 yr old son had a gf? hm?QUOTE]

at that time he had 5 g/fs... playa... but that was then. now he's young, free and single!:lol:

arent those moments the best ever, soundave - connecting with your dad or mom that way? my mother (may she rest in peace) was very openminded for her age so she would always listen to the music I let her listen to. sometimes she would like, sometimes not - but she always respected my taste. and while listening she would talk about her youth. reckon my surpise when I heard that she had a harley davidson in her twenties!:lol: I even saw the pic - my mom in a white petticoat on her Fat Boy!
music truly connects people:kickass:

your 6 yr old son had a gf? hm?QUOTE]

at that time he had 5 g/fs... playa... but that was then. now he's young, free and single!:lol:

arent those moments the best ever, soundave - connecting with your dad or mom that way? my mother (may she rest in peace) was very openminded for her age so she would always listen to the music I let her listen to. sometimes she would like, sometimes not - but she always respected my taste. and while listening she would talk about her youth. reckon my surpise when I heard that she had a harley davidson in her twenties!:lol: I even saw the pic - my mom in a white petticoat on her Fat Boy!
music truly connects people:kickass:

It sure does. I was playing the Tull Xmas album at Xmas dinner this year, and my mom exclaimed, "Is this Jethro Tull? Wow, that brings back memories. You wouldn't believe how your father (with whom she's now divorced, btw) and I would sit for hours and hours listening to Jethro Tull in college... and we saw them live a bunch of times. We were right next to the stage!" Hours of listening to a record (I think it was Agualung) in college??? Hmmm...... what were they doing, do ya think?:Smug: It's hard for me to even imagine now... especially since they're both remarried.

It sure does. I was playing the Tull Xmas album at Xmas dinner this year, and my mom exclaimed, "Is this Jethro Tull? Wow, that brings back memories. You wouldn't believe how your father (with whom she's now divorced, btw) and I would sit for hours and hours listening to Jethro Tull in college... and we saw them live a bunch of times. We were right next to the stage!" Hours of listening to a record (I think it was Agualung) in college??? Hmmm...... what were they doing, do ya think?:Smug: It's hard for me to even imagine now... especially since they're both remarried.

I even wonder how they managed to do that since during their youth they didnt have IPod and stuff... it often very hard to imagine one's parents of being young and maybe even rebellous:lol:

Ha ha... nope. Hanging out in my dad's dorm room, iirc. They went to different colleges (He, Trinity in Hartford CT, she Mt. Holyoke in Holyoke MA), which is part of what makes it hard to imagine. Don't really know a lot about my mom and dad together, as they separated when I was in second grade, and it was pretty ugly.To imagine them willingly spending time with one another takes a great act of imagination on my part.

It was, I believe, 1971, and they had to have been thoroughly stoned. At least, that's my understanding of the situation...

dude thats so fucking awesome that you're getting your kids involved with that music so early. cuz it's good shit! you'd think some people would be skeptical to let their kids hear that kind of music cuz they'd prolly get scared when Mikael busts out his growling/devil voice. but that's so cool man...keep it up, we already got our next generation of Opeth fans up and running! :headbang:

*bump*

I was thinking about this thread the other day, and I realize two things now: 1. I was the last person to post, and 2. this was my very first post here!

Anyhoooo.... the reason I was thinking about this is because my daughter (the aforementioned 9 month old is now 2 years old!) was walking downstairs with me, holding my hand, and said, "Watch Opef, daddy?"

I said, "You want to watch Opeth?" we had watched Beyond Ghost Reveries the day before.

"Yeah!" She said. "Watch Teletubbies?"

"Uh...." I said.

She stopped on the stair and announced, "Watch Opef Teletubbies???" And I laughed. I tried to imagine what that might entail. It's at least an idea for the Photoshopeth thread!

When I ask her what Opeth sounds like, she growls. When I ask her what Opeth does, she says "Play guitar!" And I've taught her metal horns, but she can't really do it, so she says "Meh-dooo!" and sometimes inadvertantly gives me the finger. Which, I suppose, is pretty metal.

I think I'm gonna...oh no...yep..damn, managed to cave in on gayness. That story sounds utterly cute. :lol:"Watch Opef Teletubbies???" Ace.:kickass:

Hello there!
This was a nice thread! Love to read your stories about your kids and their experience from listening to Opeth! So maybe I should contribute with something.... Hm... Melinda is listening to all kinds of music and she loves to dance! When we were in Rome to see Opeth Melinda was very excited. I thought, as they get on stage pretty late that she would fall asleep but she kept awake almost the complete set! We had talked about that she has to have earphones to protect her ears and when we were getting her teddybear from behind the stage during the gig she was very anxious about her teddys ears so she was holding the bears ears for protection... It was so cute!

mel_headphones.jpg

Anna

Hello there!
This was a nice thread! Love to read your stories about your kids and their experience from listening to Opeth! So maybe I should contribute with something.... Hm... Melinda is listening to all kinds of music and she loves to dance! When we were in Rome to see Opeth Melinda was very excited. I thought, as they get on stage pretty late that she would fall asleep but she kept awake almost the complete set! We had talked about that she has to have earphones to protect her ears and when we were getting her teddybear from behind the stage during the gig she was very anxious about her teddys ears so she was holding the bears ears for protection... It was so cute!

mel_headphones.jpg

Anna

Thanks, Anna! I wondered if Melinda had been to any shows. My wife was like, "That's so cute it hurts..." Great picture! Is there any toddler Opeth merch, btw, or will I have to make it myself?

Hello there!

mel_headphones.jpg

Anna

That's very cute indeed. :)

And yeah. Protection for the ears is a must. It went better that I expected to have the kids wear them when went to the Close Up Festival. My son only complained in the beginning, but accepted them when I explained that he needs them to protect the ears from the loud music and showed him that I used earplugs as well. My daughter started complaining about them after a while, but we just took her downstairs where it wasn't so loud and gave her a rest from them for a while. So it worked out very nicely.

On a sidenote, I recorded Headbangers Ball a couple of weekends ago to watch it at a later point in time, when I can fast forward through the stuff I don't enjoy so much. I was watching it the other day when my daughter (now 11 months) walked in. She wasn't very impressed with most of it, but as soon as Children of Bodom came on, she stared dancing, jumping and screaming very excitedly (singing?) and seemed to really enjoy the song. She also danced around to Amorphis, but wasn't quite as excited. During this whole thing, my son (3 years) sat on the couch playing Nintendo, and at the same time headbanging to the music. :)