...so my weekend

J. Golden

Heaven and Hell Records
Oct 12, 2009
here
www.heavenandhellrecords.com
We arrived at the hotel around 3:30 am Friday. After checking in and a brief rest in the room I wandered outside for a smoke and there met the first two Canadians- this was the beginning of a awesome weekend.
Both days ran rather smoothly, easy and smooth all around with load in and out, vending etc. I thought Reggies was a perfect place to hold such an event, that place was build for this fest. I also really liked the vending area, doubt anything else would have fit up there though. They also have amazing veggie burgers. The staff was great, and the chick working the sound for the main stage did a great job.
I did not see every band due to vending or being held up in conversation. I did of course see most of the main stage. Paradoxx wasn’t bad. Wrath were to hot but I guess that was not to unexpected since the band were not really active from what I understand. I knew what to expect with October 31 and well they never disappoint, never jaw dropping amazing but straight up pure heavy metal and fun. I felt Eldritch were really out of place on this festival; I have never really been a fan, besides years of being exposed to progressive metal fans have somewhat helped to kill my enjoyment of that kind of stuff anyway. I somewhat felt bad for the band because it just seemed that no one was interested. Sleepy Hollow was probably the one set that I saw that did absolutely nothing for me; if anything set sounded bad on the main stage I think it was their set. As for Gates of Slumber I do like them a lot and doom metal in general, but it did seemed to slow things down a lot. I was setting upstairs during the set just feeling this dragging mood in the air, of course what should one espct during a doom band. Now I think a doom band can work and should be on the bill, just think Gates might not have been the best choice. Maybe we can see Solitude Aeturnus in the future, something with a more crossover appeal.
The ones I really enjoyed seemed to be the popular consensus with everyone. I had my doubts going in but I really enjoyed Omen, well it was just hearing those songs live that I have known for about 25 years now. I thought the new singer was fine and I think he is a very lively front man. I liked the fact that he communicated with the audience, however not the way he went about it- I just don’t go for all the “hell yeah” redneck-ish Pantera type banter. Shok Paris and Oz both played really solid pro sets. I have always wanted to see both bands and never thought I would see Oz, so that was great for me.
I only caught to bands on the second stage and walked in and out on a few. Most of what I caught in there the sound just was not that great, fuzzy, too loud, not loud enough, etc. However Winterhawk destroyed it. Those guys were so fucking good and their sound was certainly came across a lot smoother than the others I heard in there. Most of the sound in that room just seemed like a mess but people were enjoying it so thumbs up.
The band that took the weekend was hands down Ashbury. I have listened to this band for years and always wanted to see them live thinking this would never happen. When it was announced I thought it was going to be really cool to see them but how in the hell would this work on a “metal festival”? In Europe I could see it working, but in America? Well it seem the star where aligned and timing was right because it went over fabulously. I personally think they schooled a lot of bands that night and amazed a lot of traditionally pure heavy metal fans. I’m so glad this happened I got to see it. I stood in front of the stage on the verge of tears watching that set.
On Friday night Jamie and I sat in our hotel room with Kenny Powell and his wife Heather. He share some really cool stories with me has he ate our pizza. I remember thinking to myself, “wow here is this guy eating my pizza in my hotel room who put out albums that I have been listening to since I have had hair on my balls”. HAHA Meanwhile he seemed so amazed over the fact that the pizza was still warm.
Meeting Dennis from Rockadrome Records was really cool; he is a really down to earth dude and it was nice to talk shop with him.
Then there were the Canadians. What an awesome bunch of people to hang with. They are the nicest and the most polite people. These guys were just an added bonus to the weekend. I think that in coming years the fest should advertise “with special guest appearances by The Canadians”. Their mischief and high jinks were comical and cartoon-ish. If you saw the traveling party then you would understand my description.
One of the best things about the weekend and all so humbling were all the people who spoke to me about the label, our bands, and who were genuinely interested. I needed that after all the years of just thinking that it is not working. So I thank all you guys for your support over these years. Also thank all of you for spending your money on your metal goodies at the fest. It was so good to finally not be the odd vendor at a fest and actually be somewhere with people who knew what the hell we were carrying.
Ragnarokkr 2014 was a metal festival for real metal heads, with a real metal audience. There is no doubt that the festival has achieved what it was set out to do; now trick is to maintain and grow. It was probably the most fun I have ever had at any “metal” festival even including Germany. Actually the most fun at any other music festival I have attended. I so look forward to next year.
Congratulation Mike.
Well I have a mess of work to get to so cheers,
J.

nicely put...but next time remember the space bar is your freind and so are paragraphs. I kid. I kid.

The Canadians were the highlight for me this year. They turned every aspect of the fest that they were around into a party and a fun time. The pre-show with them was a blast.

I was glad you came out and I am glad I kept bugging you about it. Your table and the others up there were a perfect blend of stuff that represents the festival.

I wish I had one more day to hang out with everyone as well. Went way to fast.

I haven't been to that one yet, but it's nice to know I have something to look forward to, oh man from the future.

One of the coolest things about this fest was that it was metal fans; if was not just people that show up just to be part of a scene, it was not made up of casual fans, or those who just come out to be looked at, it was a real metal audience and honestly I can't say I have seen that anywhere in the U.S.
Another thing that I thought was really neat and I do not mean to sound sexiest here either; it was really cool to see how many women were there who are actually into metal. Seriously some women claim to be but the ones at Ragnarokkr are true metal ladies. It was none of these dumb chicks in corsets that own a Disney metal album or two, these were the real fist pumping, hair slinging balls out ones that could strike fear into the hearts of the frilly dress breed. They had such passion and this was even apparent talking to them; one of the Canadian women Savanna talked to me about how much she loved Kreator and was choking up while doing so, just don't get that from most chicks. It was also neat to see a crowd of women able to sing along to every word of 'Power and the Glory':headbang: I just mention this because it is a rare site in the U.S. So ladies I raise my glass to you all.:kickass:
Ok, so now that I expressed my respect for the metal women I must also add in that it is also pretty damn hot too.:heh:

Killer time meeting you and chatting tunes with you, Jeremy! Big regards to Jamie as well. Thanks for introducing me to Jim from TTD as well, that was very cool. Hope you enjoy the Gatekeeper shit. Let's chat again soon, eh?

You are very welcome Sir, Jim is a good guy, we have known him for a number of years now.
We also enjoyed meeting you guys and we think quite highly of you all.

It was good you were able to vend this year Jeremy, though it was bad on my bank account. HAhahaha. I've gotten your stuff at Progpower and I know you've had issues with not as many being interested in your stuff, whereas this is the perfect fest for you to vend.

Jeremy.....glad you noticed the amount of girls who are actually fans and not the ones who are there to be seen or just to hang out. Chicago has lots of dedicated metal ladies who know their stuff. For example...Eva who put on the pre-show for the fest also runs a Metal Market a few times a year at the Mutiny. Basically like a afternoon of all the chicago vendors and stuff all selling their stuff. It is always a good time and turnouts are always great as well.

We do have like every city the ones who just come to drink and be social. But there are a whole bunch who know there stuff.

The Chicago scene is crazy actually.....

we have a large group who live in the burbs and wont come to the city unless a freinds band is playing. We have a HUGE death metal scene as well who only come out for the heavy stuff. The key is to try to get a band that would bring in all those under one roof.

Jeremy.....glad you noticed the amount of girls who are actually fans and not the ones who are there to be seen or just to hang out. Chicago has lots of dedicated metal ladies who know their stuff. For example...Eva who put on the pre-show for the fest also runs a Metal Market a few times a year at the Mutiny. Basically like a afternoon of all the chicago vendors and stuff all selling their stuff. It is always a good time and turnouts are always great as well.

We do have like every city the ones who just come to drink and be social. But there are a whole bunch who know there stuff.

It is just interesting to see such a difference from places like say Progpower where the women seem to be more interested in their corsets than the music. I can see this from the audience to the ones that come by the table. This is not only my observations Jamie usually notices it, but still it is interesting.

It is just interesting to see such a difference from places like say Progpower where the women seem to be more interested in their corsets than the music. I can see this from the audience to the ones that come by the table. This is not only my observations Jamie usually notices it, but still it is interesting.

no, Jason and I have discussed this as well about the Chicago scene. We still have tons of girls who are there for the social aspect but lots as well there for the music and buying stuff as well. You should see the turnout girl wise for death metal shows.

It was good you were able to vend this year Jeremy, though it was bad on my bank account. HAhahaha. I've gotten your stuff at Progpower and I know you've had issues with not as many being interested in your stuff, whereas this is the perfect fest for you to vend.

It was better than Progpower in many ways. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy it down there but it has changed through the years, seems like there has been a shift in the audience, it was great the first few years. It is also difficult to talk to most of them, Chicago was totally different. Also were I once wanted to see most of the bands now it is maybe one a year.
Both fests have there pros and cons I guess, Reggies was more cramped but the friendliness of the people at the fest certainly made up for it. I guess that is the biggest difference between the two' Atlanta is very click-ish while Ragnarokkr everyone was so friendly and inviting.

At Progpower we certainly are the odd ones there and there is no doubt about that. It is just not an audience for real metal... ok I guess you can say it is a audience for a different kind of metal.