So, some Mormons came to our house today.

It's fucked up what superstition can do to people.... especially when it's enforced from a young age. They don't even for one fucking second stop and wonder about the Bible and where it comes from, who might've altered it throughout all the hundreds and hundreds of years that have passed etc. It's so strange that they don't even need the slightest bit of PROOF, because it's all written in some fucking book!

I've gotten to understand the way people behave now that I'm working at a theme park over the summer. I meet a 1000-2000 people per day and I see over and over how they behave. If one person makes a mistake, like getting off the ride at the wrong side, EVERYONE follows that person and makes the same mistake, without even looking around for any exit signs or anything. It happens over and over again. Then, somebody who is smart enough discovers the proper exit and heads that way, and people start noticing that and before you know it, everybody turns back and heads out the proper exit. Imagine some guy making some shit up 2000 years ago and telling people about it... the result is today's extreme superstition.

Jehovah's Witnesses would rather their children die than receive a blood transfusion.

Personally, that really offends me.

Personally I think its not really your problem, is it? :lol:

I mean, its stupid yes, but it offends you? Come on now. :loco:

Öwen;8456819 said:

That's what he said, he is offended by the actions of superstitious adults when it comes to the medical treatment of their own children, children they are obligated to provide at least the minimum standard of care for in every way...morally obligated of course, and legally obligated certainly. But somehow RELIGIOUS BELIEF allows them a pass...they are then able to withhold life-saving medical procedures and medications from CHILDREN.
This is offensive and illegal.

Maybe we who are still alive should be thankful our parents didn't withold medical treatment from US, huh? Anybody here who's never needed an anti-biotic?

This would make it a problem a whole lot more people should consider their own...

Öwen;8456819 said:

So you don't feel offended if someone lets their own child die?

'Cause the Bible tells them so. And why do the follow it? Because it's the word of God. Why? Because it says so on the bible.

Ok, then..

I'm with you. You can believe in whatever you want, but please don't come and try to shove it down my throat, thank you.

Yup circular logic. Which is a polite way of saying totally illogical.

However, as much as I agree with the 'don't shove it down my throat' statement you've made, I do not think it's perfectly fine for anyone to believe anything they want. And I do not think that any belief is equivalent to any other...and certainly not when it comes to religious belief...which I would argue are all simple superstition, belief in magic and fairys (sorry, Miracles and Angels....). Just because someone really, really believes something does not make it true, good, or even remotely possible or sane. Period.
I would certainly have agreed with the live and let live attitude earlier in my life, but it would seem it is not the position the religious fanatics hold. If you don't believe in their particular brand of crazy they believe they have the right to kill. Islam for example, but not exclusively...I brand all Deity worshipping as nuts. And no matter, it seems if they fail with the immediate termination of non-believers, then the after life will be torturous for eternity.
Anybody wanna guess what the last words of the 9/11 hijackers was? Or every single suicide bomber?
How about 'God is Great'.
Yup. They kill you for God.
Turns out that I think THAT is plain old not okay to believe.

So you don't feel offended if someone lets their own child die?

Nope, it has jack shit to do with my sensibilities how someone wants to handle their offspring in a perfectly legal situation, why should I get annoyed about whether some religious crazies think its a good idea to give their kids blood transfusions or not.

What do you guys that get "offended" so easily do with your lives? Sit there in permanent outrage over someone elses stupid ideas? I'd be more "offended" that there are parts of the world that don't have access to such medical treatment even if they wanted it.

(snip)

It's not so much religion itself that I have a problem with, I have a problem when things get labeled with -isms, mainly fanaticism, and then suddenly fanatics try to shove it down everyones throat. With force, usually.
(That's what I was implying also.. not just Jehovas and Mormons behind your door)

Leave it to people to ruin every good idea...

Öwen;8456917 said:
What do you guys that get "offended" so easily do with your lives? Sit there in permanent outrage over someone elses stupid ideas? I'd be more "offended" that there are parts of the world that don't have access to such medical treatment even if they wanted it.

Now why would that offend you? That's not offensive, that's just sad and unfortunate. There's a difference.
Now if some person or organization was actively preventing the people from having that access, that changes everything. I would describe that as someone deciding for someone else what is best for them, even if it goes against logic - and how else would you describe a religious fanatic denying their children proper medical care?

We should all be affected by such things. I don't think people should be allowed to be as crazy as they want to be if the well being of others is involved. Especially defenseless children.

Öwen;8456917 said:

Im absolutely NOT easily offended, but we are talking about killing children here.
Yes, its terrible that so many people have to die because the lack of medical treatment, but why would you let a child die when the treatment is there?

Öwen;8456917 said:
Nope, it has jack shit to do with my sensibilities how someone wants to handle their offspring in a perfectly legal situation, why should I get annoyed about whether some religious crazies think its a good idea to give their kids blood transfusions or not.

Exactly why I think more people should be pissed about the religious crazies. There are places that don't have access and the nuts WON'T allow their children to be saved.
Which is fine, you go ahead and believe it's not your problem. It's probably NOT your problem, seeing as I think you have enough sensibility to provide medical treatment to your own offspring.
It would be the childrens problem by that reasoning, right?
A problem they are effectively unable to fix by themselves...without someone else standing up for their rights.
Since when is a parent witholding medical treatment from a child legal?
ONLY if the parent claims "RELIGIOUS BELIEFS!"
This is definitely a problem.
As for ignoring other peoples beliefs as not my problem, that works fine until the airliner smashes into my ass.

Öwen;8456917 said:

Like the post after say.

This is fail. :erk:

Yup circular logic. Which is a polite way of saying totally illogical.

However, as much as I agree with the 'don't shove it down my throat' statement you've made, I do not think it's perfectly fine for anyone to believe anything they want. And I do not think that any belief is equivalent to any other...and certainly not when it comes to religious belief...which I would argue are all simple superstition, belief in magic and fairys (sorry, Miracles and Angels....). Just because someone really, really believes something does not make it true, good, or even remotely possible or sane. Period.
I would certainly have agreed with the live and let live attitude earlier in my life, but it would seem it is not the position the religious fanatics hold. If you don't believe in their particular brand of crazy they believe they have the right to kill. Islam for example, but not exclusively...I brand all Deity worshipping as nuts. And no matter, it seems if they fail with the immediate termination of non-believers, then the after life will be torturous for eternity.
Anybody wanna guess what the last words of the 9/11 hijackers was? Or every single suicide bomber?
How about 'God is Great'.
Yup. They kill you for God.

Well, what we were saying was that it's fine to believe in ANYTHING you want, as long as you keep it to yourself and don't let it affect the world around you in any way. That includes not killing people in the name of the deity you believe in. :)

If I want to believe in the flying spaghetti monster, fine, that's my choise, but I wouldn't run around and kill people in its name.... hahaha, oh my god.. it just hit me how retarded religion really is :D Or well, to be fair... it's not the religion that's fucked up and retarded, it's those who choose to make it so. Islam does NOT encourage people to kill non-believers as far as I know, it's just how those fundamentalist cock suckers choose to interpret it as.

Well maybe I am a cold heartless bastard, but wtf is this.

You're all so offended - ie outraged about the possibility of a few jehova children not having blood transfusions, this isnt some crisis, its not like most jehova children are going to be lining up for blood transfusions in their lifetime, this is a religious idea that goes against something that will happen infrequently anyway. It's stupid, malinformed and potentially dangerous, but welcome to the real world - so are most religious ideas.

To be honest, thats not the thing that irks me about this whole argument anyway, its that all you guys are acting like it means something to you, does it fuck, its just an excuse for most of you to mouth off about how you hate religous twaddle, which is fair enough, but dont give off all this "I'm offended" crap, thats the most inane bullshit ever.

If I want to believe in the flying spaghetti monster, fine, that's my choise, but I wouldn't run around and kill people in its name.... hahaha, oh my god.. it just hit me how retarded religion really is :D

:)NOW WE'RE GETTIN' SOMEWHERE!!!:)

Not inane bullshit...we should all get off our apologist asses and call the fuckers on their crazy bullshit. This isn't JUST about blood transfusions. This is about these crazy fuckers infiltrating our governments, passing laws, forming armies and generally being the crazy fuckers they are.
Killing in the name of.
And that means something to me...I hope it does to you too...read my line about my ass and airliners.......

I still don't think all beliefs are okay. Even if they seem innoquous enough (Islam, Christianity, JW's, Mormon), and even if the believers really really believe it.

Actually, when the believers really really believe it we (read;sane people) get big trouble. And children die of treatable ailments, or are murdered because their parents believe in the wrong Spaghetti Monster.
In the name of a magical immortal fairy king.
Again, my position is believing something does not make it okay, because it is not okay to believe anything you want. Others (numbering in the Billions) clearly disagree.
Based on their beliefs of course.........................................................

Öwen;8457329 said:
Well maybe I am a cold heartless bastard, but wtf is this.

You're all so offended - ie outraged about the possibility of a few jehova children not having blood transfusions, this isnt some crisis, its not like most jehova children are going to be lining up for blood transfusions in their lifetime, this is a religious idea that goes against something that will happen infrequently anyway. It's stupid, malinformed and potentially dangerous, but welcome to the real world - so are most religious ideas.

To be honest, thats not the thing that irks me about this whole argument anyway, its that all you guys are acting like it means something to you, does it fuck, its just an excuse for most of you to mouth off about how you hate religous twaddle, which is fair enough, but dont give off all this "I'm offended" crap, thats the most inane bullshit ever.

*sigh*

You bet your god damn ass it means something to me, some of us feel compassion for other human beings.
Do you even know what compassion is?

But Jesus Christ on a tadpole, i think i get your point, letting children die is absolutely fine.. because its their choice, right?
Just like a psychopath shouldn't be held in an insane asylum, because its their fuckin' choice to hurt people, right?

Öwen;8456819 said:

That's my opinion. I'm not compelling anyone to agree with it, and you're certainly entitled to your opinion as well.

FWIW, very few things in the world offend me. But denying proper medical treatment on religious grounds just makes me want to slap someone. :)