So when did this forum jump the shark?

When the following threads arrived and kept getting bumped OVER threads on music discussion or heated debates etc:

- now playing (in various forms)
- post your pictures thread
- say anything thread

I think it was a given that nothing on RC stayed on topic, and that's what made it so cool in a way

forum good = 75% in-depth music discussion inevitably going off topic (and back on again), 25% non-music & boobies
forum shit = 80% non-music, 20% music (lasting approx. 8 posts)

Let's face it, we'll never get back to our times of celtic frost and black winter day's boobies

To many peopel jumping in thinking they can be cool-RC-regulars after one post.

QFT

especially when lurking for 6 months on invisible mode and seeing some random "i hate every black person because drunk poverty stricken fat milky white guys with mullets who rape their sisters are so much cooler" and join in from nowhere without having established any previous sense of identity

...where Fonzie literally jumped over a shark on his motorcycle.

water skis :D

water skis :D

O.K I believe I was thinking of the time he jumped a row of cars in the parking lot outside of AL's. That set a precedent for his inevitable hydro-leap.

YouTube - Fonzie jumps the shark

The first several seasons of Happy Days slayed BTW.

especially when lurking for 6 months on invisible mode and seeing some random "i hate every black person because drunk poverty stricken fat milky white guys with mullets who rape their sisters are so much cooler" and join in from nowhere without having established any previous sense of identity

Hey those threads were justified!!!

Agreed, I can understand where someone would say there was no relation between the zine and the forum because the latter developed its own personality and of course outlived the site, but without the necessary balance between music and deliberately off-topic threads (not to mention that just about everyone here discovered some great music thanks to the reviews and feedback generated from them), it's no surprise this place went downhill...

When the following threads arrived and kept getting bumped OVER threads on music discussion or heated debates etc:

- now playing (in various forms)
- post your pictures thread
- say anything thread

I think it was a given that nothing on RC stayed on topic, and that's what made it so cool in a way

forum good = 75% in-depth music discussion inevitably going off topic (and back on again), 25% non-music & boobies
forum shit = 80% non-music, 20% music (lasting approx. 8 posts)

Let's face it, we'll never get back to our times of celtic frost and black winter day's boobies

LOCK 'EM!!!! :kickass:

Personally, I enjoy posting here and reading the threads pretty much as much as I did when I first stumbled across the forum. It's easily my favourite place to hang out online. I've gotten more fantastic music recommendations from here than anywhere else, and I frequently end up chatting to my IRL friends about things we've discussed here. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that often, I see/hear/get involved in more intellectual/insightful/stimulating conversations in this forum than I do IRL.

One thing I would say though - bring back the Recommendations roster, and fucking keep it going everyone! That shit ruled!

a) when phyre, markgugs, npearce, Black Winter Day, Dreamlord, Sorath, NAD, NicodemiX, BloodStainedWalls, etc all mysteriously vanished
b) when NAD stopped reccomending Marilyn Manson's "Golden Age of the Grotesque"
c) when markgugs stopped giving every metal album a 10/10
d) when we learned how to post pictures of ourselves
e) when J. got married
f) when Profanity started posting here back in '04
g) both d and f
h) when the amount of people posting went from 15-20 to 3,000