Some weird shit at my school.

I know people who would say hi and try to talk to him, but he would generally just shun them because he was so goddamn weird. There were definitely problems a lot deeper than just kids making fun of him.

I know people who would say hi and try to talk to him, but he would generally just shun them because he was so goddamn weird. There were definitely problems a lot deeper than just kids making fun of him.

Yeah that's what my perception of that whole thing is.
There were always weird kids at school and shit, and I used to be kind of (ha) a dipshit back in 7th-8th grade, and that's when I remember feeling my absolute worst. I was never weird or unnerving to anyone, I was just a dork.
But by high school, especially towards the end (junior/senior year), everybody stopped giving a fuck about all of that. While the cliques still existed and everyone had a group of regular friends they hung out with, everyone talked to everyone really. Everyone got over the whole popularity contest for the most part. I had friends in all the grades and in all cliques.
So I don't really find his excuse in that valid, particularly if people were really trying to talk to him and stuff like you say they were. Kid has problems deeper than just some tormenting at school.

Where the hell are all these kids coming from? We didn't have anyone like that at my school. Although the most students the school ever had was around 50.

Yet another wonderful occasion of the education system being completely in-able to recognise and suitably segregate those who need special attention(s).

The inclusionary (sic) policies of the Bush years have pretty much set the school system up for being full of nuts.

Yet another wonderful occasion of the education system being completely in-able to recognise and suitably segregate those who need special attention(s).

The inclusionary (sic) policies of the Bush years have pretty much set the school system up for being full of nuts.

Claiming that Bush can be held responsible for whackos in the schools is quite a stretch. School shootings reached their peak before he even took office. I'm thinking it's more the fault of the "village" failing to raise the child properly. Parents especially.

The fact is, young American junior high and high school kids are just little bastards these days, and I'm not talking about the mental kid. He's obviously got some issues, which he was acting out to get attention. He probably figured since he was the equivalent to an amoeba to everyone else, negative attention is better than non-existence. And as far as your friend trying to talk to him, he/she simply came across as patronizing and fake in his opinion, which is why he shunned her. He probably wanted someone to WANT to talk to him, not just patronize him and feel sorry for him because he's looked upon as the retard. Did he/she make an extra attempt to talk to him or understand him? Probably he/she just rolled his/her eyes and said, "Whateverrrrr...."

Our society is so selfish and self-absorbed...just look at the categories we put our students into. HELLO!!! "Most likely to succeed", "most popular", "biggest flirt", etc. Homecoming king and queen, Prom king and queen...these are the most useless, arrogant, self-absorbed, and idiotic "titles" we give ordinary people who have essentially made no contribution to society, but everyone likes them for some reason. It's ridiculous and it's meaningless. People go to school to be popular and be liked, not to get an education. They teach people that you can make it if you're just popular enough. Just look through your yearbook and see the fallacy of not just the education but the social system in the US.

our class was forced to present a "closing speech" so the best could be chosen in grade 8, for graduation. i can't remember if i said it or not, but i remember debating whether or not to say; "wow, i can't believe this system allows illiterate, barely competent foreigners to GRADUATE like those two mexicans."

because there were two illiterate, barely competent mexicans in the class.

i think mexicans should just skip the education system and be forced to be our security guards in school.

Normally I'd defend you Derek, but I disagree with the original statement. Sorry bud.

:lol: Valid point. Perhaps my old brain has truly run dry.

Plus, I'll take one occasion where you're all smarter than me (in face of the overwhelming vice-versa :p) as fine in almost two years. :lol:

Isabel, does he look like this?

attention_whore_dude.gif