Someone give us a review of the brisbane gig last night!

jester00

Sep 4, 2002
Visit site
Im dying here.... i see opeth in two days(sydney)

im curious to find out how much ass they kicked last night at brisbane

I'll give you the heads up when I get the chance... I'm kinda in a bit of a hurry, have to catch a plane to melbourne for tonight's gig as well.

Suffice to say that while I'm pretty much new to this metal gig stuff....... Opeth most definitely WENT OFF!!!! :heh:

FUCK!!!!
THEY RULED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap, what a show. About 2 hours worth. Set list was:

Leper Affinity
Advent
Deliverance
Drapery Falls
Godhead's Lament
Credence
Bleak
Forest of October
A Fair Judgement
Demon of the Fall (encore)

Boy oh boy, I won't be forgetting that one in a while :D

Oh yeah, and it was fucking cool before the show, we were heading to the pub and suddenly Peter and Martin appeared in front of us on the footpath, Martin turned around, saw my shirt and said 'Nice shirt'. Ahhh man....what a great night.

THANK YOU OPETH! COME BACK AGAIN SOON!!!!!!!!!!!

Sound was excellent too! Credence sounded really nice.

As for stage presence, the guys didn't really run around the stage heh (it is Opeth after all :) ), but they play, I dunno how you'd put it, really emotionally? Especially Mikael. They looked like they were having a really fun time up there anyway...and so did the audience!

how big was the crowd?

which martin made the comment about the shirt? mendez or lopez?

wow that setlist is excellent!

I swear the 2 Martins were separated at birth. Pretty sure it was Martin Lopez though.

Crowd size was pretty decent. I was up the front so I didn't really get a good idea of how far back everyone went. About 1000 maybe? I really couldn't say for sure.

I am still a little speechless about the evening. But I consider it a cathartic experience. I was absolutely blown away. As you can see by the set list they played an excellent range. Forest of October...can't believe they played it. It was a beautiful evening...

So many highlights, can't list them. Sound was perfect, vox (clean and growl) spot on. Lopez is a monster. mandez, the tiny little fella that his is, was head banging the whole show. Nice long show, no boring bits. Thise of you up to see them later will not be disappointed.

Also Mikael indicated they may return for a Damnation tour propoer...that means another flught from Darwin to Brisbane for me...:)

Cheers

Paul D.

shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit

i am pissine me

Katatonic289 said:
shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit

i am pissine me

katatonic... were you the dude that was wearing the plain black opeth logo t-shirt with the facial hair at utopia the day damnation came out?

bawl1.gif

It was absolutely amazing. The first two bands were allright (especially Alchemist) but I couldn't enjoy them properly since all I was thinking at the time was "Hurry up and finish i wanna see Opeth"

They played some great songs (Forest=YES!!!) and they played them brilliantly.

The switching between mellow and heavy works really good live. One moment you'll have everyone moshing then a second later everyone is just standing there swaying slowly.

Highlights of the evening for me were "The drapery falls" (Mikaels voice is really beautiful), "Deliverance", and of course "Forest of October". What an amazing song.

They weren't jumping around but they did look like they were having a lot of fun, thats the most important thing.

Oh and Mikael pretty much announced the Damnation tour at the end of the year. His exact (as I remember) words were "We have a new album called Damnation that came out yesterday... Unfortunately we are going to have to do a seperate tour for that so it's up to you guys to make us come back"
At this point pretty much everyone screamed their lungs out.

Anyway it was a great night everyone had fun. Only a few more hours to go for you guys in Melbourne. Have fun.

Kashmir said:
Oh and Mikael pretty much announced the Damnation tour at the end of the year. His exact (as I remember) words were "We have a new album called Damnation that came out yesterday... Unfortunately we are going to have to do a seperate tour for that so it's up to you guys to make us come back"
At this point pretty much everyone screamed their lungs out.

He did indeed say that. But I especially loved after Bleak when the crowd was roaring Mikael said "THANK YOU VERY FUCKING MUCH!"

Made my night. :)

jeanreno said:
He did indeed say that. But I especially loved after Bleak when the crowd was roaring Mikael said "THANK YOU VERY FUCKING MUCH!"

Made my night. :)

I loved that. After every song people are shouting the hardest they can and Mikael replies in an very polite tone "thank you very very much". :D

I know dude. Where were you standing? I was front row, center (getting my ribs pushed in :lol: ).

And also, did you get your shit signed?

I was in the center too but there were a couple people in front of me.

Yeah I got Damnation signed. I was one of the first 10 people in line actually.

Oh and I forgot to say that I met Mikael and one of the Martins just walking around Brunswick street. I said hi and they asked me if I knew where to buy some cigaretes. Too bad I don't smoke so I couldnt tell them.

Like me. :headbang: (I was wearing the Morningrise hoodie, my friend next to me had the My Arms, Your Hearse hoodie).