Song Meanings: Heir Apparent

i think ''heir apparent'' isn't about bush and it's not political.Opeth hasn't got any political song.it must be personal.he lives in sweden why did he care Bush and write a song about him?

Bush has done a good job with keeping our country safe. I voted for him twice, and I'd vote for him again if I could.

Back to the topic, I think the interpretation makes sense, could be about Bush. I doubt it though, Mike doesn't seem to ever make political statements. I mean, come on, this is Opeth, not Ministry or Otep!

:puke:
What is safety? Is it lying to an entire country, taking away our rights, or enforcing our bullshit political system on others so we can control them (and all of their oil)?

No. Bush has led this country not only into a never-ending war but a failing economy and a lack of acknowledgment on topics such as gay rights and global warming. Therefore, it is extremely likely that these lyrics ARE indeed about Bush, seeing as how the song is very aggressive. Who is to say that Opeth can't be political, especially in times like these? Mikael is well-aware of what is going on in the world today (as stated in many interviews), and I'm sure he wants to let it be known.

What is safety? Is it lying to an entire country, taking away our rights, or enforcing our bullshit political system on others so we can control them (and all of their oil)?

No. Bush has led this country not only into a never-ending war but a failing economy and a lack of acknowledgment on topics such as gay rights and global warming. Therefore, it is extremely likely that these lyrics ARE indeed about Bush, seeing as how the song is very aggressive. Who is to say that Opeth can't be political, especially in times like these? Mikael is well-aware of what is going on in the world today (as stated in many interviews), and I'm sure he wants to let it be known.

maybe you're right,maybe you aren't :/ i can't figure out this song exactly

I agree that Bush has made many mistakes, but there is no room for anyone who supported Clinton and Jimmy Carter to talk. You can't deny the fact that we haven't been attacked. Like I said earlier, it's common sense, you don't have to research it to know so. Please, don't start with the "never-ending" war crap. The war will eventually end. Do I support the war? Yes, but I think he it could've been handled much better than the way it has been. Actually, at the beginning of Bush's Presidency, the Economy was doing great. Just in recent months it has started to drop and you can't blame it all on him. Our government in general is to blame for our failing Economy. Gay rights? Are you serious? They are U.S. citizens! They already have rights! Just because they can't marry means they have been denied all of their rights? That's absurd, my friend. Sure, if they were restricted from practicing homosexuality, then they would be denied of their rights, but that's not happening is it? The whole Global Warming argument is bogus. Do I believe in Global Warming? No. I believe our planet is going through a cycle that it's been going through for years. Although, let's imagine if Global Warming was true and not a marketing ploy to make huge bucks, do you think we could stop it? Do you think we could have prevented the Ice Age? No. What's going to happen is going to happen. It all comes back to mankind's inevitable fear of death, and corrupt nobody's like Al Gore are playing off of it. Yes, we need to clean up our dirty ways, but I'm not riding a bicycle because some buffoon on TV tells me to. No, I do not believe Mikael aimed Heir Apparent at Bush, and if he did, who cares? What's the point of trying to mold a song to fit your perspective on a matter? It's right stupid if you ask me.

It's a shame we can't have an interpretation thread without a half-witted political war erupting. Whether you supported Bush doesn't mean shit anymore, because he won't be in power for much longer anyway. That's one of the key ideas of this take on the lyrics. One thing's for sure. Your personal views on the administration of the past 8 years don't have a damn thing to do with whether or not that is the purpose of this song.

I agree that Bush has made many mistakes, but there is no room for anyone who supported Clinton and Jimmy Carter to talk. You can't deny the fact that we haven't been attacked. Like I said earlier, it's common sense, you don't have to research it to know so. Please, don't start with the "never-ending" war crap. The war will eventually end. Do I support the war? Yes, but I think he it could've been handled much better than the way it has been. Actually, at the beginning of Bush's Presidency, the Economy was doing great. Just in recent months it has started to drop and you can't blame it all on him. Our government in general is to blame for our failing Economy. Gay rights? Are you serious? They are U.S. citizens! They already have rights! Just because they can't marry means they have been denied all of their rights? That's absurd, my friend. Sure, if they were restricted from practicing homosexuality, then they would be denied of their rights, but that's not happening is it? The whole Global Warming argument is bogus. Do I believe in Global Warming? No. I believe our planet is going through a cycle that it's been going through for years. Although, let's imagine if Global Warming was true and not a marketing ploy to make huge bucks, do you think we could stop it? Do you think we could have prevented the Ice Age? No. What's going to happen is going to happen. It all comes back to mankind's inevitable fear of death, and corrupt nobody's like Al Gore are playing off of it. Yes, we need to clean up our dirty ways, but I'm not riding a bicycle because some buffoon on TV tells me to. No, I do not believe Mikael aimed Heir Apparent at Bush, and if he did, who cares? What's the point of trying to mold a song to fit your perspective on a matter? It's right stupid if you ask me.

Do you see an end to the war we're fighting? We've fucked 1000s of years of history into our little "search for the terrorist" game. We've started a civil war in the region, and we're soon to start a global one. Notice how when we went into the war, it was called the "War on Terror." Now, we all know it as the War on Iraq...

Yes, the economy started out good but only because of who preceded Bush in the first place. And what do you know, Bush drags us into a war which drains our country's resources. Think of how much oil our tanks and warplanes and hummers demand daily. You think that's doing the economy any good? Hell no. (This along with the disastrous housing business and lack of social security that Bush continually ignores)...

Now think of all the country's that are just recently developing (India, China, etc.). Some of the world's most densely populated areas are now driving cars. And we're not talking hybrid Hondas, either. So, their shitty old cars produce loads of carbon. So let's see... dense populations, carbon emissions, dirty air, overcrowding, and ravaged land combined with all other country's ignorance, apathy, elitism, mass-production, and competitive bullshit. Naw, global warming is just a fluke. I'll keep driving my bad-ass Hummer over your sorry-ass Honda!

You are entitled to your opinion. However, let me just sum up this argument that will inevitably go nowhere.

You are conservative.:Smug:

I am liberal.:Smokin:

As for the purpose of the song, I could careless if its about Bush or not.

I just think its pretty foolish to rule out the idea just because Opeth has never been political. Mike writes what he feels, and whether or not he wrote the song as a political outcry is for him to know and for us to keep posting threads about :lol:.

:lol: Labyrinth of Blindness.

My perception of the world has not been changed because of some secret Right-wing agenda. We have not been attacked since 9/11, that's common since, man!

Ahhh, and that's because Bush went and caught all those Al Qaeda bastards in Iraqistan, right?

My perception of the world has not been changed because of some secret Right-wing agenda.

Well man, I have to disagree. Dropping all pretenses I think you have a mind, but when you defend sentiments such as this...

Say what you want about Bush. We have that freedom in America. But to his credit, no one has gotten an attack off on us again even though they are constantly trying.

...I would, along with the majority of the world's political scientists, say your mind has most definitely been twisted by a not-so-secret right wing agenda.

The housing market is jacked because people were greedy and bought houses that they could not afford. When my wife and I bought a house we "qualified" for a loan that was over twice what we ended up going with.

Social Security is jacked because of simple numbers. The baby boomers are starting to retire and they will drain all or most of what's in social security. I have an idea... how about you put money away for your own retirement? Oh, wait I forgot. You bought too big a house and you can't afford to budget in retirement money each month.

(By you I mean in general, not to a specific poster - I'm just frustrated with people who don't take responsibility for their own futures).

Oh, by the way, I think the song could be about Bush... if it is it's much smarter and well crafted than most political songs (no surprise there).

Do you see an end to the war we're fighting? We've fucked 1000s of years of history into our little "search for the terrorist" game. We've started a civil war in the region, and we're soon to start a global one. Notice how when we went into the war, it was called the "War on Terror." Now, we all know it as the War on Iraq...

Yes, the economy started out good but only because of who preceded Bush in the first place. And what do you know, Bush drags us into a war which drains our country's resources. Think of how much oil our tanks and warplanes and hummers demand daily. You think that's doing the economy any good? Hell no. (This along with the disastrous housing business and lack of social security that Bush continually ignores)...

Now think of all the country's that are just recently developing (India, China, etc.). Some of the world's most densely populated areas are now driving cars. And we're not talking hybrid Hondas, either. So, their shitty old cars produce loads of carbon. So let's see... dense populations, carbon emissions, dirty air, overcrowding, and ravaged land combined with all other country's ignorance, apathy, elitism, mass-production, and competitive bullshit. Naw, global warming is just a fluke. I'll keep driving my bad-ass Hummer over your sorry-ass Honda!

You are entitled to your opinion. However, let me just sum up this argument that will inevitably go nowhere.

You are conservative.:Smug:

I am liberal.:Smokin:

Haha! I won't argue it anymore, man. You are right, we will just keep going back and forth, and that would be ridiculous in the Opeth forums. Yes, I am Conservative, but I don't vote Republican or Democrat. Personally, both sides are corrupt and power hungry. None of the candidates running are going to make any type of change, I can friggin' see it coming. Anyways, let's just quit talking these crazy politics.

:lol: Labyrinth of Blindness.

Blindness? I'm not defending Bush, I'm speaking from what I'm seeing and not what "teh evilz Fox News" is telling me. Although, you seem to be following the "oh so cool" Left-wing agenda.

Ahhh, and that's because Bush went and caught all those Al Qaeda bastards in Iraqistan, right?

Did I say he did? I'm upset at the fact that he didn't. Once again, I'm not saying things like "Don't be mean to Bush! He's the bestest President evers!!!!! He caught all the terrorists!!!11!!". Still think I'm a right-wing nut who sucks down every thing Fox News feeds me? It's amazing that you treat me like I'm worshiping the guy for saying something completely true. Have we been attacked? Well?

I was referring to the user, Labyrinth of Blindness.

Firstly, forget the "it's trendy to be liberal" crap. This goes far beyond political leanings. I have extremely conservative friends who share the same opinions as myself regarding terrorism and the war.

Have you ever seen the Simpsons episode where Lisa sells Homer a rock that "keeps away Tigers"?

Same story, except this rock doesn't just pretend to keep away terrorists, it is a terrorist. People just don't see it as being so because they've been conditioned to think that a terrorist can't be white or Christian.

And they're scared.

Yes, because aggression can't be directed towards anything besides the president. the lyrics could not be about anything else, the song's aggressive!

That's taking what was said out of context and you know it. Go and work for Fox News.

Mikael is well-aware of what is going on in the world today (as stated in many interviews)

Could you point us in the direction of such an interview/s?

Its the headbangers ball podcast interview. He is talking about being world-minded and he wants to change things. He is looking at society and is very unhappy with some world issues.

I was referring to the user, Labyrinth of Blindness.

My bad, man.

Firstly, forget the "it's trendy to be liberal" crap. This goes far beyond political leanings. I have extremely conservative friends who share the same opinions as myself regarding terrorism and the war.

You don't think the hippie views of war and peace are not considered "cool" these days? I beg to disagree with you, my friend. Why do you think teenagers flock to Obama and Democratic candidates? I've heard kids say things like "He's cool!". How many can I say have said that about McCain? Absolutely none. McCain doesn't have beliefs considered as new and hip to the teenagers of this generation. Liberal viewpoints are being embraced by teenagers and young adults today, because it's being shoved down their throats by things like the media and insanely biased college professor's. Yes, liberalism is considered "cool" and "trendy" these days. Actually, politics in general has gotten that way because of our retarded media. You have idiot celebrities running idiot programs like "Vote Or Die" and not even showing up for the cause. Once again, have we been attacked by Al Qaeda since 9/11?

As much as I believe anyone who is STILL defending Bush is a quivering, conniving cunt, please refrain from making this into a political discussion.

Pre Clinton-worst deficit in US history(12 years of Reagan, George Bush) Clinton-erased deficit in 6 years, now a surplus. Post Clinton- GW Bush-"I broke that old deficit record, man...that means I am the best! Even better than my daddy!" Back in the 8 years of Clinton, I am proud to admit I was wrong about Clinton. I thought he'd be just as bad as the previous 12 years of hell. Regardless what political preference you are into, GW is THE most idiotic moron in US president history. Everything he has done in his 8 years, is the worst in US history.

Please read into people like Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Warren G. Harding, and Millard Fillmore, among others, before attempting to label Bush our worst president. I don't want to fuel this argument, but that can't go ignored.