Song(s) of the Week...

MajestikMøøse

Membrum virile
Jul 28, 2003
Not Siberia
Drudkh - False Dawn (Forgotten Legends, 2003)
Drudkh - Glare of Autumn (Autumn Aurora, 2004)
Drudkh - Wind of the Night Forests (Autumn Aurora, 2004)
Hate Forest - Domination (Purity, 2003)
Hate Forest - The Immortal Ones (Purity, 2003)
M87 - OQ172 (Noctilucent Threnody, 1999)

I'm still fucking hooked on these Drudkh CDs and the Hate Forest. Great Ukrainian Atmospheric black metal that actually sounds like a forest. I've ranted about this stuff time and time again (thanks BWD for introducing it to me, and Erik who introduced it to him)

An interesting addition to my recent listening regimen is this M87 mp3 I downloaded from their label Supernal Music's website ( www.supernalmusic.com ). A description of it that I made on the Royal Carnage board went as follows:

NicodemiX said:
...the music was made by 7 and 8 string guitars exclusively, but you wouldn't be able to tell that from the sample. Its completely ambient, and he (most likely) used a lot of ebow and volumefades (I daresay) exclusively to produce a music that actually puts you in a feeling like you're in some sci-fi movie travelling into the emptiness of deep space all by yourself, alone, unknown, insignificant, observing.

M87 mp3

Neurosis - The Eye Of Every Storm.... amazing, Neurosis have done it again, words can not describe the somber and "out there" feelings that this band continue to be able to create. Amazing.

Neurosis - A Season In The Sky.... ditto.... amazing vocals, guitars, atmosphere, goddamn this band is just too good.

Soilwork - Figure Number Five.... My "adrenaline rush" song of the week, heavy, energetic, catchy, great bridge with the semi clean vocals, followed by an awesome solo. I love blasting this one while driving

At The Gates - Within.... An awesome epic that has such amazingly clever structure, harmonies, riffs, drumming, etc.... very emotional as well, the song is like a big journey through complex melodic death done right

Pyrus said:
HAIL MARY FULLA GRACE! That song ist krieg.

My song of the week...thanks to last night's concert, "Dracula" by Iced Earth. Total blazing speed metal jammed into an otherwise forgettable album.
personally I don't know why Horror Show takes so much flak, i find it to be a very strong IE album especially when sandwiched in between the average SWTWC and TGB. on SWTWC and TGB its like "uninspired and semi generic songwriting for the first 10 tracks and save it all for the last 3" while HS had consistently strong songwriting all the way through, the riffing and feel of the album is overall much more creative, definatley much less conventional than the surrounding 2 albums, much more diverse, etc...

Lets see...

Finntroll- Midnattens Widunder... Trollhammaren... Krigsmjod
Windir- Arntor, a Warrior... Ressurection of the Wild
Vintersorg- Norrland and Tussmorkret

and...

Borknagar- Traveller

Pantera - Hostile (live 101 Proof Version)
Children of Bodom - Hate Me!
Nevermore - Believe in Nothing
Burzum - Det Som En Gang Var

Yeah, I don't like Something Wicked or TGB much either...but Horror Show is just a horrible mishmosh of good and bad ideas. Take "Damien." You've got a totally fucking epic chorus, one of Iced Earth's best, and totally sinister and awesome vocals throughout. But then they have that boring verse riff, which is repeated way too many times, and that horribly dumb middle section with Jon Schaffer misquoting a shitty movie. The rest of the album has a lot of shit like that, and then there's the total wastes like "Jekyll & Hyde" and "Dragon's Child.

And what the fuck is the point of covering that Maiden instrumental? It sounds almost exactly like the original!

Okay, bitchfest over.

NicodemiX said:
Whenever I hear that song I find it hard to resist getting up and dancing a jig.

Seriously.
"Peruns celestial Silver" is most definetly one of the greatest Folk/Black Metal songs ever. As far as dancing a jig goes; maybe if you were a troll dacing around a fire in the forest, i could picture that.