My Review of Hate Forest - Battlefields

I think its the best Hate Forest album, and I will probably always think this. Although, I will admit Sorrow gave it a run for its money a little bit ago...

I think Purity is better than Battlefields, but they both are great. I still haven't listened to much of Sorrow.

given how much i L-U-V drudkh you'd think i'd have heard this band already, can somebody upload their best track or two?

np: forests in fire and gold

I haven't heard this album in honestly probably two years, but I remember that it fucking ruled. Had those traditional vocal interludes, right?

I forgot just how depressing this album is. It's quite an exhasuting listen as well.

This is the only Hate Forest I own / have heard. Am I correct in thinking that this particular album is a departure from traditional Hate Forest style? Aren't they normally a bit more blarghu and rah?

Sort of... Their Demo's started off really fucking raw. Then their first EP's came out and they were a lot more ambient than the demo's. I'd say The Most Ancient Ones went back a bit to the rawer sound, but still maintaining some of the atmposphere of the EPs. Though, one thing became obvious in TMAO, they hated things. Purity was fast, and also hateful with all their hate forest hatefulness.

Battlefields was epic, but yet full of atmosphere and ambience, and lots of ultra hatey hate from the masters of hate, hate forest.

And Sorrow... Was pretty basic IMO. Kind of a "Back to the roots" for an last album.

Then, "The Romans" started focusing on Drudkh more.

This is the only Hate Forest I own / have heard. Am I correct in thinking that this particular album is a departure from traditional Hate Forest style? Aren't they normally a bit more blarghu and rah?

yeah, generally.

Their most developed works are Battlefields & Purity. Then the rest is either fairly standard black metal, or ambient works.

Eric there just put together a good summary of their major works.

That's not to say that their raw-blearggh stuff isn't great. It may be standard-sounding, but it's good standard </fanboyism>