• Reverie / Harlequin Forest

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Hours Of Wealth

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • Isolation Years

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I find it close minded to not like distorted guitars since there's obviously huge applications for all modern rock forms. I don't listen to brutal death metal either, which I don't consider Opeth brutal since they have a huge melodic side even to their heavy sections, but if you're saying you don't like any heavy music in general then you're missing a huge aspect of music, which stems from a huge part of human nature. Plus I find it illogical to listen to a cd, and skip most of it when there is so much music out there what you should be doing is searching for new music it seems. BUT THATS MY OPINION WAH WAH. Look man I'm not going to sit here, and argue about your opinion, but don't sit here, and act the victim.

well, maybe your being a bit close minded not listening to brutal death metal? im kidding

in general its true i dont like heavier metal styles, but i do enjoy heavy music. maybe its not so much that the music is heavy, but that alot of the heavier parts have been repeated in another song by opeth (i know that holds true for soft songs, but not so much i feel). in particular i mean the drumming, id much prefer to listen to some syncopated, funky hi hat rhymths instead of the standard double bass. i was even semi relieved when i heard opeths first blastbeat, because i was expecting something different

ive tried to search. ive found music ive liked that is similar, but like many people will tell you, opeth is opeth and there is no substitute for opeth. i havent intended to look like the victim, i just saw it as irrational attacking my opinion as if i was broadcasting it as fact

to cartas: i dont see why u think that im wrong. because i listen to 20% of the songs of a band thats a genre that i dont like? i listen to songs, and even phrases that i like, i wont let parts that i dont like get in the way of enjoying the ones i do, or 'liking' the band in general

also blue i didnt changed my post, i added the last paragraph on. and i dont know who rico swave is (i searched, and all i could find was a mexican wrestler (suave.) im not mexican, im australian and im not a wrestler)

I can't imagine someone liking "only soft opeth" in the same way that I can't imagine someone "only liking heavy opeth". There are plenty of heavy bands and soft bands out there, but what makes opeth so unique is their dynamics, they way they piece heavy distorted parts and soft clean parts together. If you only like one hemisphere of Opeth's sound, you are really missing out, and you won't be able to fully appreciate what opeth is about and would be suited to more superficial bands than Opeth.

the thing is you post here a lot and it seems like opeth is one of your favorite bands, which is senseless if you dont like their death metal side. i know people who like opeth's soft side only but then obviously opeth is not even close to being their favorite band.

To Vua:

I'm just purely interested. You don't like the heavy side of Opeth at all, it's shit okay I got it.

Is it just Opeth's death metal works that you don't enjoy? Do you like any other death / black metal?

wow, this is epic drama right here anyway vuashke perhaps I exaggerated a bit when I said you were looking for a fight because obviously you dont seem very offensive. I think it's quite stupid though to not realize that hours of wealth might be, and probably often is, years behind the rest of the "heavy" songs on GR with the exception of perhaps TGC because after all, opeth is mainly metal. I love Hours of Wealth personally and I'm sure a lot of people here that voted for it loves it as well but you can't really compare it with the super trio on this album (Perdition, hounds, mire).

It makes me think about how stupid it would be to compare damnation to other opeth records, it just, wouldnt, work. I think it all comes down to the fact that its alright to prefer the softer opeth over the heavy, but to actually dislike the heavy (if you dislike heavy in general) is evidently frowned upon here.

That being said, I have a close friend of mine who worships mesuggah and bands like suicide silence, job for a cowboy, white chapel and other grindcore/death metal acts but cannot listen to the heavy opeth while he adores the softer, especially on watershed. People are weird indeed

Vuashke, give it some time. I've often found that certain things I didn't like in music, in a couple of years I suddenly loved. Like Tom Waits for example. I actually asked a woman in a record store who was buyng a Tom Waits album what the fuck she heard in that crap...didn't get it at all. And suddenly once day, I had a dingdingding moment. Same thing with the electric Miles Davis period. I used to think I hated that kind of thing, bought Bitches Brew, listened to it thinking...hmm...don't think I'll listen to this much....10 years later, I'm bored, put it on, and boom. Fucking in love with it, and have been ever since.

I think it could be the same thing with growls. It can't be the easiest thing to get into if you don't already like it, but who knows, don't completely write it off, because you never know, your music interests might develop to include it, and if it does you'll be very rewarded since in my opinion, the heavy parts and growling is pretty much ace. And I'm picky about it.

(apologies for the long sentences)

wow, at first you call me exceedingly gay and when i respond, im a total idiot? really, personal insults dont reflect very well at all on your character. this is a forum and i can voice my personal opinion about music (which is subjective of course) and if you have nothing else to say by all means keep tossing shit

your subjective opinion blows

I think it's quite stupid though to not realize that hours of wealth might be, and probably often is, years behind the rest of the "heavy" songs on GR with the exception of perhaps TGC because after all, opeth is mainly metal. I love Hours of Wealth personally and I'm sure a lot of people here that voted for it loves it as well but you can't really compare it with the super trio on this album (Perdition, hounds, mire).

NO WAY!!!!! Define stupidity

Gop> BotH = HoW = IY = Atonement = R/HF = Beneath The Mire >>>>>>>............ >>>...... >>>..... TGC

To Vua:

I'm just purely interested. You don't like the heavy side of Opeth at all, it's shit okay I got it.

Is it just Opeth's death metal works that you don't enjoy? Do you like any other death / black metal?

no i dont like any death metal / black metal.

tbh i can totally understand why people dont rate damnation as highly as the other albums, i enjoy listening to the mellow stuff from the other albums more than the tracks on damnation. and believe me, ive devoted time to listening to opeth's heavy side. in the past i was a big fan of both, but then i hit a period when i just couldnt keep listening to it

kind of blue is light years ahead of bitches brew. i really couldnt listen to bitches brew at all

tbh i can totally understand why people dont rate damnation as highly as the other albums, i enjoy listening to the mellow stuff from the other albums more than the tracks on damnation. and believe me, ive devoted time to listening to opeth's heavy side. in the past i was a big fan of both, but then i hit a period when i just couldnt keep listening to it

kind of blue is light years ahead of bitches brew. i really couldnt listen to bitches brew at all

If you aren't naked are you just wearing pants?
prehaps a tube top?
a toga?

wearing pants

why would u assume that im naked if you can only barely see the top of my torso?

You're missing the point of my mentioning it at all...I started out listening to Kind of Blue, and couldn't really listen to Bitches Brew...I don't consider the one light years ahead or behind the other. And I don't rate Damnation lower that the others.

Ah fuck it, what am I chasing my tail about here. I'm too old for this shit. :lol:

well...whatever, but i can think of a many better fusion artists than miles davis. i loved his jazz much more

Seriously, I was only dropping a little example of something that had changed drastically for me. If I wanted to discuss fusion artists, I'd make a thread for it in the non-Opeth music forum.

Edit: I was just trying to be nice...talk in a relaxed fashion for a bit. But now I'm just annoyed. Thanks for reminding me why I hardly post here at all.

I was reading your posts and honestly it is really hard to understand what exactly you are thinking because you say something new in every post about opeths music... Like you just said that "IN THE PAST YOU WERE A BIG FAN OF the light side AND THE HEAVY SIDE"... SO what im saying is that... there was a time when u liked the heavy side of opeth. Before you wrote this post, you kept saying that the heavy opeth sound is bullshit or the screams are bullshit etc... but yes you liked opeth's heavy sound before. I just wished you included that in your earlier posts.

Basically everyone in this forum is just wondering how you only like soft opeth a lot but not liking heavy side and pretty much 80% of opeth is heavy but the heavy side of opeth was also in your interest before...

So basically again,
You DID get into Opeth because of the HEAVY AND THE SOFT SIDE but lately you have just been losing interest on the heavy side... and you just listen to the soft side. That is your opinion, and i respect it but it was just kind of confusing before what exactly you were thinking.

I was reading your posts and honestly it is really hard to understand what exactly you are thinking because you say something new in every post about opeths music... Like you just said that "IN THE PAST YOU WERE A BIG FAN OF the light side AND THE HEAVY SIDE"... SO what im saying is that... there was a time when u liked the heavy side of opeth. Before you wrote this post, you kept saying that the heavy opeth sound is bullshit or the screams are bullshit etc... but yes you liked opeth's heavy sound before. I just wished you included that in your earlier posts.

Basically everyone in this forum is just wondering how you only like soft opeth a lot but not liking heavy side and pretty much 80% of opeth is heavy but the heavy side of opeth was also in your interest before...

So basically again,
You DID get into Opeth because of the HEAVY AND THE SOFT SIDE but lately you have just been losing interest on the heavy side... and you just listen to the soft side. That is your opinion, and i respect it but it was just kind of confusing before what exactly you were thinking.

i honestly dont see whats so hard to digest here. YES i did like heavy opeth in the past, as im sure most you listened to bands in the past that you absolutely hate now. and in a present context, i dont like the heavy stuff at all anymore.

why? i grew out of it maybe, i only play acoustic guitar, i just got bored with it. if the band was 95% heavy and 5% soft id still like the band, if only for their soft songs

i got into opeth because of friends telling me they were unique and used lots of soft phrasing in their songs, so i gave it a shot. and after a while a liked it. and after a while, i dont like it. and here i am. im sure youve changed ur opinion on things too

urghhh... you can't really grow out of a genre as you're insisting. listening to shit music as a kid and growing out of that same shit music when you're older is only natural, as the quality of music becomes clearer when you're able to make more accurate judgments on the music. but how can a person grow out of a genre? it just isn't logical. i listened to plenty of shit bands when i was a young teen, and i've grown out of those bands, but i still listen to good music in the same respective genres as those shit bands.