SS's Rant about everything

SentinelSlain

Suck my joined date.
Nov 21, 2007
I have to say, first of all I am drinking and have been for a while and secondly I'm not got to reference anything, so this is not going to be brilliant.

Multiculturalism, cultural diversity and social class:

For a while I've been thinking about something. People who you might called liberals within the middle class often like to distance themselves from both the poor and reactionary people by associating themselves with some other culture, be that through dining in restaurants serving foreign food, spending time abroad, or simply through wearing the latest fashionable clothes by the latest foreign labels. They may not consciously decide to do all of those things for that reason but they will likely be following trends that are broadly part of attempts at creating status symbols. Now, this is all pretty obvious, but the point is that in some ways, things that are seen as part of multiculturalism are really just class dividers between the old hat peasants who still feel that they are all "in it together" with a party that represents them as a cultural block as well as their economic interests and the new school of modern people who distance themselves from anything that seems out of party line but without any kind of ideology coming into it. So in other words, the later group don't give a damn about absolute freedoms or cultural inheritance, only immediate self interest and the ability to appear to be in with the proper sort. My generation is mostly comprised of people like this. It's not a new phenomenon by any stretch of the imagination, European tribes would surely have distinguished themselves through having some little stretch of Roman style road or more definitely jewellery made from imported materials. Surely when man has reached a point where this kind of behaviour has been replaced with a more solid, group based thinking that is less stratified and more enveloped in a sense of collective manifest destiny towards a goal, with shared culture being part of that, then man has found a greater point.

Pretty much most theory on multi-ethnic and multicultural societies tends to analyse them without baring in considering the collective history of the groups within it and is now always going to be done from a post world war II Western apologist frame. One of my lecturers once mentioned the Armenian Genocide with his two fingers on each hand up and twitching, to make inverted commas, the reason? He was speaking to a mostly British Pakistani lecture hall. I remember him looking a little worried when I was talking about the problems with politically influenced historical revisionism and quoted Hitler, saying "again one might ask, who remembers the Armenians". The point is that if, for the sake of appeasing some Turks and other assorted Muslims, we arrest those Bulgarians who try and publicise the historically credited accounts of the massacres the Turks committed against them or fail to recognise the Armenian genocide for the sake of not upsetting state relations with Turkey, then what were are saying is that keeping some arrogant idiots happy, not giving them the no doubt much wanted excuse to go and riot or whatever, then we are saying that the attempted destruction of a people or a nation is something that can be forgotten for the sake of small scale political ease. Surely that is a disgusting thing to say. With the likely demographic changes in Europe being the way they are, this is dangerous for our society.

I have read a little bit about life for Christians under Islamic rule and I fail to see how, from a truly neutral viewpoint, rather than a Western apologist, self loathing view, it can be seen as more comparable with the lives of Muslims living in the contemporary Western world than with Jews living in Medieval Europe.

I might continue this and cover drugs, sex and masculinity later, we'll see.

I don't get why people don't just forget about all that race bullshit. Is it that hard to just say, "wow, I live in a modern civilization with an overabundance of resources. It would be a lot more fun to just have fun than waste my time hating people over shit that people who are already dead did or getting offended over people whose ancestors hated my ancestors."

It's like when some black people in the US hear something related to their "race" and say something like, "we don't want to have to be reminded of the slavery and discrimination." You don't have to be. Being reminded is on you. It's your mind. No shit those things are bad, but just fucking let it go. If you're faced with actual racism, that's one thing, but it's your choice to take the shit that happened to your ancestors to heart.

My black ancestors were enslaved, and my Slavic ancestors weren't exactly welcomed to the US, but I'm living my own life now and I'm not going to waste my time getting offended by something that didn't actually happen to me. I used to get offended by people saying shit about Hispanics, but I let that shit go. Now I'm thankful that I live in an age where if I so choose, I can let everything anyone says to me be rendered totally meaningless because I'm not going to encounter a person who will physically hurt me or oppress me because of the color of my skin.

I just wish more minorities would have that attitude. If someone's just being a dick, ignore them. All they're saying is what they think of you and if you're angry at them, you're not accepting it, and congratulations, you don't have to! And that doesn't even apply to race, but interacting with human beings in general. It's almost as if we don't have to pigeonhole ourselves or others based on the geographic origin of our ancestors and can just talk to a person without treating them like an imaginary caricature defined by their ancestors' history.

Edit: It's like when black people say "my people." Other people say it, but I hear it mostly from black people. First, black people are the most genetically diverse on the planet, so that's like a white person referring to Native Americans as their people. Second, other black people aren't any more "your people" than other white people are for white people. This kind of thinking of "my people" and "other people" just divides shit. Is it that hard to feel the same amount of humanity in a person regardless of their race, instead of feeling closer to someone for being your color?

Ah I totally forgot JAGE Rodger wrote his manifesto already.

Edit: Vimana, white people definitely are "my people".

Why? What meaningful common ground does the color of your skin give you with people like Clay Aiken and Adolf Hitler?

Not necessarily. My parents are a good counterexample. You pointed out a bunch of reasons not having to do with race that people will feel kinship for. How about feeling kinship for simply being a human being in the first place? That's a lot more meaningful than any constructions of the mind like race and culture, since what we have in common is the very thing that creates those things.

Which I think is unfortunate, because people forget that other humans are human and hate one another because they look different or worship a different god. It's childish.

I don't really feel its childish at all. I feel pride to be white with Polish/Ukrainian heritage, and I feel pride/inherent kinship towards others that are white with Polish and/or Ukrainian heritage as well.

I've been expecting JAGE to write a manifesto for some time now. I expect we'll be seeing him on the news shortly.

I don't really feel its childish at all. I feel pride to be white with Polish/Ukrainian heritage, and I feel pride/inherent kinship towards others that are white with Polish and/or Ukrainian heritage as well.

But you don't hate people who are different and forget they're human, right? That's what I said was childish.

No. But referring to a subset of people as "my people" in the first place isn't inherently "hating" everyone that falls outside that subset.

I understand why race is so important to Americans, but I still find it really weird. I guess it's because 99% of the people I know or see on the street are white.

Hey Butt, let's relate it back to JAGE's original post. Does your sense of heritage go beyond anything superficial (dress, food, perhaps occasional vacations)? Did you have a Ukrainian grandmother who told you stories about the old country and taught you traditional folk songs on the kobza? Does your family celebrate any of the Pagan holidays of the Ukrainian tradition? Does your life feel enriched at all by your ancestry?

Or do you just pop open a 40 when you get home and play Call of Duty like the rest of us do?

Excepting the past couple of years, each year we celebrate Ukrainian Christmas on Jan 7th; and during each of my family dinners we eat nearly every Ukrainian (and a few Polish) foods, while my grandfather tells stories of his parents, who were born in and moved here from Ukraine; we hear stories of stuff like the holodomor and hard times from when my great grandparents were in their 20s, and then my grandfather gives a huge speech in Ukrainian; which I cant understand but is still awesome.

Ukrainian and Polish culture is really rich and interesting and I am proud of the fact.

"Aaaaand, next up on CNN...a second case closely related to the Elliott Rodger case which occurred very soon after. The shooter's name was ___insert SentinalSlain's real name___ and his body was recently discovered as well."

What Bulgarian got arrested for bringing up the Armenian genocide? I haven't heard this story.

I didn't say that. Try reading what I wrote more carefully. I think most people have seen a block of text with a few buzzwords and just decided what it meant.