St Anger Opinions

... and as for "stealing" music over the internet, how is it any differant from tape trading, radio, or even the video format? I bet Metallica's songs are played more on the radio everyday than they ever were in an mp3 format. File sharing over the internet really only hurts record companies, a&r egomaniacs, Tower Records and career song writers. And let's be honest, they all deserve an eternal ass reaming for all the bullshit they've subjected us to. $20 CD's, by-the-numbers songs, clone "artists", the "next big thing" hype machine, ect... It makes me sick.

I think file sharing can do wonders for bands who's music is not heard on mainsteam circuits. Without radio, big budget marketing campaigns, street teams and MTV, how is a small band to get exposure? Word of mouth doesn't matter anymore. The market (god I hate that word) is too oversaturated with worthless trash these days to take anyone's opinion seriously. And how the masses love their trash! Touring? Better hope they can afford to take a severe loss their first few times out. OK. Music reviews? Who reads those, let alone listen to the opinions expressed? Should I really take the opinion of someone else at face value, and then spend my money on something that they like? I want to hear it first, and how else am I goint to do that other than downloading it? At least that way I'm not going to get myself ripped off by purchasing crap that I don't like. And I think most people DO go and buy something if they really like it and wish to see the artist prosper and release more music.

The only bands that should fear filesharing are those releasing music that is not good enough to buy. It's as simple as that.

Anyway, why not make selling and buying used CD's illegal too? The poor record execs. don't make money off of that practice either.

Ol' Dirty Bastard said:
... and as for "stealing" music over the internet, how is it any differant from tape trading, radio, or even the video format? Anyway, why not make selling and buying used CD's illegal too?
I disagree with you here. While Metallica can afford to lose a few bucks here & there...
They have created something & then it's being taken for nothing.
Let's say you have painted a potrait. I make color lithographs for my friends & begin to "give" them away. You planned on making a living from your paintings. It's similar. You'd want to have my ass strung to the nearest tree! Now the tape trading? For the most part, people are looking for live shows & or demos which the bands aren't planning on making their living from. I don't think they care too much about that.
Not even KISS who are bigger "money whores" than Metallica care!
It's when you begin to take "studio" stuff that it hurts the bands. The labels have already tried to take action against selling used cd's They have failed. They were worried that with the rising cost of their discs & the lowering costs of CDR audio recording equipment they would lose money. Guess what they have!
For example, I got a disc of rough mixes for the upcoming ZZ Top disc which is not due out until 9.9.03. These are rough mixes! I'm not completely satistfied with the sound. I'm not even sure all of these tracks will be on the final product. People will always get stuff like this.
When it comes to studio/legit material, there's just something wrong about it. In my opinion.

St.Anger isnt really 'metallica', its completely different to what they've done before (in my opinion). It's not a bad album for what it is but i dont like it, i've got no time for metallica anymore.

Nu-metal of all kind sucks! Nu-metal is not music anymore! New metallica sucks, metallica has doped the the music out of them

Metallica for me is the first four albums, everything after that is shit. Why listen to that when you actually can listen to good music? The world is full of it, believe it or not

Ergol The Ineffable said:
Nu-metal of all kind sucks! Nu-metal is not music anymore! New metallica sucks, metallica has doped the the music out of them

Metallica for me is the first four albums, everything after that is shit. Why listen to that when you actually can listen to good music? The world is full of it, believe it or not
The world is also full of idiots like you, beleive it or not, who refuse to accept the fact that people don't think the same way they do.

Ol' Dirty Bastard said:
It figures that the record companies would try to make it illegal to sell used CD's. Haha.

Yeah, those assholes. It was actually Garth Brooks in the height of his career, that was opposed to people selling used copies of his cd's.
In fact, what the labels have done, is that they have "cut-off" a lot of the small mom & pop record shops from obtaining promo materials...
Why? Because they fear they will sell off anything they get, advance discs, posters, flats, ect. Which some do. How is this helping their artists?! You figure they'd like some free advertising by having a small shop hanging a poster of their artist in their window than nothing?!
The record industry is pretty fucked?!:D

AceRoccola said:
The world is also full of idiots like you, beleive it or not, who refuse to accept the fact that people don't think the same way they do.

Then let me elaborate... As Metallica grew in fame and money, they had access to heavier stuff than before. This of course only resulted in that their music decreased in quality (see Load and Re-Load). In adition to this they also became more comercialized, worrying more and more about getting more money (I think the music reflects whenever a band is trying to do this, and I kind of automaticly identify it (I think I do)).

When it comes to Nu-metal, the bands that I've heard has little or nothing of melody in their songs. For me melody is what makes the song, sure you can keep going on and on about theme, mood and such, but when it comes down to it, it's the melody wich is the music. So, music without melody... sucks, and since this is a St. Anger OPINIONS it was no need to state that this is MY opninion, I don't force it on anybody, it's just MY opinion.

Ps: I would like to keep it friendly here, and that was rather personal... :)

sixxswine said:
You might have a point there. If he left, the band should not push on.
That could open the door for Mustaine to rejoin his former band members though.

:tickled: Wouldn't that be so fucking funny. The biggest joke in metal history that would be. :Spin: I'd really enjoy to see that unfold. :tickled:

There's a good record in there somewhere, but it's buried beneath the nu metal guitar tone, awful lyrics and hideous drums. Very repetitive, minimal songwriting, why did Kirk bother turning up?

Sounds like a bad Soulfly rehersal.

Roll on September and Dance of Death....

Ergol The Ineffable said:

Agreed. Upon St. Anger's release, I read all the comments and immediately spent about 100 bucks on other metal (e.g., the new Callenish Circle, COB, Carnal Forge, ...), overlooking St. Anger.

That money couldn't have been better spent. I've always thought that I'm behind in buying about 300 to 400 metal CDs that already exist that I should buy, and every day I get further behind, unless I spend about a grand a month :Smug: (and the last four? Metallica albums aren't on my list...)

There is that much good metal out there, Ergol is correct.

SergeantD1 said:
Anything else we should get past to enjoy this "good" record?

Snap out of it people!!! Lets be honest for one time can we? This album is TERRIBLE!!!! Stop trying to fool yourselves with the "step in a right direction" approach. This is METALLICA we are talking about. The same band that put out such classics as Kill Em' All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets and even And Justice For All. Don't give them a pass for this lame rock album. They should be held accountable for releasing such trash. I think that everyone is just so happy that this is not the Load/Reload sound and are trying hard as else to find something positive. Truth is this album would not sell 10,000 copies if Metallica's name was not slapped on it!!!

Very true !!

Reload is 10x times better than St.Anger, infact I liked Reload. Load was shit though.

St.Anger reminds me sorta of the "heavyness" of the black album, only its much more heavy, and the lyrics are shit, unlike black album..... and black album has riffs...and decent tunes... fuck me I was wrong, its nothing like it