Stage Theatrics

wwallinga

Working on #3
Jan 26, 2004
NH/ME Border
I just picked up the new Slayer DVD, "Still Reigning" which features the band playing the album "Reign in Blood" from start to finish. During the final song, "Raining Blood" the band is covered in fake blood which pours from the rafters creating a deliciously morbid scene.

Although I only listen to a small variety of bands, I have seen a wide array of stage theatrics. Some bands (like Opeth) just get on stage and play. There's no face paint, no spikes, no skulls on poles (ala Moonspell) and certainly no raining blood. There is no pyro, no fancy backdrops (other than a massive O) no strobelights and no 10-foot tall Eddie. In between songs, Mikael does not salute the crowd with, "Hello all you motherfuckers!!! Are you ready to rock??"

SO... my questions:

1) Has Opeth always been like this, or were they more gimmicky in their early days? Anybody know??

2) Do you prefer bands that specialize in stage theatrics or just get up on stage and play?

Just curious...

Don't tell me you seriously could see Opeth wearing facepaint, cursing to the crowd like a drunk redneck, and getting blood poured on themselves at the end of "A Fair Judgement" at one of thier concerts.

I have a bootlegged gig of Opeth playing England back in 96, and they certainly weren't about gimmicks. If anything, they work with the crowd alot more now. I mean back then, Mike was having casual chats while on stage and shit, but when the music came out.. pwah... both him and Peter had Jackson Rhodes guitars with active pickups, running through Metalzones and into Marshall JCM800... it doesn't get much more metal than that. I'd love them to play a gig with that setup every off ocassion :)

I preffer a band that gets up and plays. Usually the ones that specialize in stage theatrics are all avant-garde and trying too hard. The guys that just don't give a shit are the guys you can go backstage and get pissed with. It's alot better without the bullshit theatre, for me.

Maybe Mike will put Melinda on 10 foot stilts? Or maybe that would just be child abuse?

I fully support the "There is no Jack Frober" sign, and would steal the idea for myself during their next tour here, if I felt like going thru the effort.

Well, do we know for sure that the band knows/remembers who Jack Frober is? I might feel like a retard if they didn't. :lol:

I generally don't like theatrics. Most of time, it just seems cheesy and fake. Bands like that have a tendency to become silly fast. Just look at the glam and guitar wankering of the 80's for an example of that.

Some bands can get away with it. Nightwish maybe...

But the problem with those bands is their relationship with the audience becomes entertainment for all the senses and they can't just level with their fans the way Opeth do.

Theatrics add to the whole atmosphere of a live show. Having a band just 'get up and play' may be nice and casual, but quite franky it's great to get a good visual show as well as an aural one.

Slayer are not gimmicky. They put on a spectacular show for their fans for a DVD release. Has anyone seen the Slipknot DVD? A levitating, vertical, spinning satanic drumkit is very, very gimmicky.

Opeth do not need stage theatrics, but for many bands, it enhances the performance all that much. Anyone seen any AC/DC shows? Whole Lotta Rosie...

it depends what band it is, and what kind of theatrics.

i couldn't imagine a metallica show without fire. lots of fire.

but bands like opeth, pain of salvation, dream theater... i just want to see the band. they are 'theatric' enough by themselves

Slayer were shit last year live. While they played perfectly, the sound sucked, and they didn't say a word.

Okay, I'll give you the strobelights...

Mikael is definitely very subdued when he addresses the crowd. I think sometimes it might come off like he doesn't give a fuck but I think we all know better than that. :D

I personally love it when he says "We are Opeth from Stockholm, Sweden." That works better for me than, "How are all you motherfuckers???" Gets old after awhile...

I also think Mikael has too much of a sense of humor to get into the theatrics nonsense. You could see that in the DVD when he said, "So, are you ready to turn this place into... I don't know... into hell?"

There is a part of the song Black Rose Immortal that totally reminds me of the part in "This is Spinal Tap" where the band displays a stonehenge monument on stage. For those who haven't seen the movie (do yourself a favor, go, GO NOW FOR GOD'S SAKE, go to the movie store and rent it, please) the problem with the monument is that it's only a foot or so tall. Very funny...

And then, I had nothing left to say. (There was much rejoicing)

yes haha that movie rules dude, and so that does that stongehenge song. the reason the stonehenge was only a foot tall was because black sabbath had something like that in their stage show, ages ago, and it was fucking HUGE, so they were just making fun of that.

Funny that a topic like this would pop up, as I saw Gwar last night. I think their music is, though not that original, pretty catchy and fun to listen to. Any band that opens up a show by bringing a life size Kerry doll on stage and cutting it's head off is all right in my book. Of course, they did worse to the Bush doll...

I don't mind theatrics as long as they don't feel like they're intended to distract you from bad music. Theatrics set a certain tone, and I think Opeth does this. They don't do anything outlandish, but the band members' dress definitely matches the darkness and depth of their music, I think.

KennonKun said:
Theatrics set a certain tone, and I think Opeth does this. They don't do anything outlandish, but the band members' dress definitely matches the darkness and depth of their music, I think.
i dont think black clothes are considered "theatrics"....99% of metal bands wear black, and not just on stage.