STATE OF THE UNION GenMetal thread, read up fellas

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Listen....

..I realize there is a clique of regulars here, which is cool. One thing however that is not cool, and I am seeing it get out of hand, is the bashing towards new users of the site. When you do this, it represents Ultimate Metal in a big way and it doesn't fly with me.

From now one, if you don't happen to like what a new user posts, I kindly ask you to keep your mouth (er, fingers) shut.

Example: I have a ton of search results for the site in Google. People will find various things, a lot of which may be older threads. They may very well reply to that (Sixx thread). If it isn't off topic to the thread, old or not, leave it alone.

You guys always bitch and moan about double threads or people not using search, yet when they do, you bitch and moan about digging up old threads because somehow they aren't relevant any more.

Stop. Control yourselves and simply do not reply. It's really getting on my nerves and I don't want new users being chased away because of it.

I think it's probably a good call and something I didn't think of (Google bringing up older threads when Google/etc. searches yield relevant results) to leave recently-necro'd threads open from GMD.

Yea not that alot of new people tend to spam and stuff (At least I don't see it all the time). But every once so often some new users just come on here and start acting up.

Yes, if anything so they can be kept an eye on before they get too out of hand. I have nothing personally against them, but 80% of the ones that have come here end up getting banned for one reason or another.

Well, the entire MO (of recent ones like Dylar) is to start a thread on something "deep" and "philosophical" then speak philosophically (shallowly, however) on the topic while shooting down any opposing viewpoints, which is pretty akin to trolling. So yeah.

I guess I'm blind, but I haven't really noticed any horrible flaming of new people. I don't think it is all that bad. But I'm glad it's being mentioned.

I've definitely noticed some flaming going on recently, and I guess I'm guilty of some (Sixx thread). Probably we should just report rather than flaming.

Rather have them bump an old thread then make a thread that we've seen before. Especially when it's a common thread among new folk.

I still think the deluge of melodic death metal recs threads is unforgivable. Especially since they tend to come in pairs.

Bumping old rec threads is general is my main problem with new posters necroing crap.
95% of the time, the poster doesnt even exist here anymore, and the poster does it multiple times... All it does is push down the new threads, making it harder for someone who is still looking for new stuff to get it.

The only time I ever see anything getting pushed down though, is when the "attacks" begin. If the topic doesn't interest anyone, by not replying the thread will naturally sink back down.