Steinberg at NAMM..

Yeah, that makes sense. Guess it's about having the patience and sitting down to notate and assign all the commands.

I just realized VTC have a Cubase 4 tutorial as well. I'm so there...

Yeah...one of my professors is the guy who did the Cubase 4 tutorial. So if you have any questions, I may be able to get some answers for you.

I'd really love the ability to freeze multiple tracks at once. I wonder if they thought to include that while they were doing the channel batch export.

Yeah, these are the features I want in a new Cubase:

Freezing multiple tracks
Moving frozen files and the ability to instantly turn them into audio tracks
Beat Detective Clone
Batch Export
The option to input automation figures at each point
Ability to group multiple files at once.
Save and load presets of all VST plugins on a track (loading lengthy amp sim configurations is getting old).

I'm aware some of these features are in other DAWs, but I like everything else about Cubase. Also Cubase Studio 4 rarely crashes for me. After version 4.5, I don't recall crashing ever. Support isn't all that great, but their forum at cubase.net has a lot of helpful information.

Ability to group multiple files at once.
Save and load presets of all VST plugins on a track (loading lengthy amp sim configurations is getting old).

You can do those already in SX 3, if I understood them correctly:

Ctrl-click every track you want to group in the mixer, right-click and select Link Items (or was it Link Tracks),
or if you mean adding them to Group Tracks, you can just drag-drop them into the folder. Just select as many tracks as you want with Ctrl-click or shift-click

And for saving presets, just right-click on the mixer and select Save Channel Settings (or something like that), and then when you want to recall them, right-click in the mixer and select Load Channel Settings and select the file that you saved previously.

Kadmium: I just saw the track presets like 2 seconds ago and came back here to edit it out of my post but you caught me before I could!

Torniojaws: Hmm, I tried clicking and dragging, but they don't go into a group track. I think you mean just folders. Also I was able to link tracks, but I couldn't get them to join a Group bus together.

Makes me wonder if any of the other features I listed already exists. Someone please tell me I overlooked the beat alignment tool :lol.

Yeah...one of my professors is the guy who did the Cubase 4 tutorial. So if you have any questions, I may be able to get some answers for you.

Great!

I have to say though, he has a very strained way of talking. It's a bit grating to listen to for prolonged periods of time - especially with all the obvious overdubs he's done. Almost feels like having microsoft's text-to-voice software narrating.

I've just started on it, but I look forward to hopefully learning something. The VLC PT vids were ace.

Great!

I have to say though, he has a very strained way of talking. It's a bit grating to listen to for prolonged periods of time - especially with all the obvious overdubs he's done. Almost feels like having microsoft's text-to-voice software narrating.

I've just started on it, but I look forward to hopefully learning something. The VLC PT vids were ace.

haha yeah. Coolest dude ever though.

And for saving presets, just right-click on the mixer and select Save Channel Settings (or something like that), and then when you want to recall them, right-click in the mixer and select Load Channel Settings and select the file that you saved previously.

Doesn't this apply the settings for every channel on the mixer, though?

If you have a different number of tracks and group channels, etc., it throws the whole thing off.

Doesn't this apply the settings for every channel on the mixer, though?

That's what the Save/Load All Channels does :) With the vanilla Save/Load Channels, you can shift/ctrl-select for example 4 guitar tracks and then right-click and save the settings into a single file. Then when you open a new project, you just select the first guitar track of the 4 in the mixer and select Load Channels and pick the file you saved. Voila, the same settings you had are loaded into the new ones ;) The same method works for all types of tracks Cubase has.

That's what the Save/Load All Channels does :) With the vanilla Save/Load Channels, you can shift/ctrl-select for example 4 guitar tracks and then right-click and save the settings into a single file. Then when you open a new project, you just select the first guitar track of the 4 in the mixer and select Load Channels and pick the file you saved. Voila, the same settings you had are loaded into the new ones ;) The same method works for all types of tracks Cubase has.

Doh, you're right. I've never used it, though. I just use save all!

Steinberg doesn't roll like that. They made me pay $15 extra to be able to encode to MP3 direct from a $400 program.. there's no way I'm getting Cubase 5 for free. :erk:
Well, maybe not for free, but at least here in Europe we can get it for EUR 19.90 (plus shipping) which is a hell of a cheap price for an update like that. I'm especially happy about that since I bought my copy of C4 on Dec, 4th and the Grace Period started on Dec, 1st! :)
Definitelly going to use that opportunity to my advantage!

Well, maybe not for free, but at least here in Europe we can get it for EUR 19.90 (plus shipping) which is a hell of a cheap price for an update like that. I'm especially happy about that since I bought my copy of C4 on Dec, 4th and the Grace Period started on Dec, 1st! :)
Definitelly going to use that opportunity to my advantage!

Yeah I just talked to a guy from Steinberg Canada yesterday and he said the pricing details would be out today. I'm glad I'm getting the update to C5 for cheap, but I hope all the stability issues are sorted out.. if it is worse than Cubase 4 is patched to 4.5.2, that would make it totally unusable for me. :(

I'm sorry to hear about all these crashing problems people seem to have...
SX3 only crashed on me when I was "asking for to much" (loads of plug-ins and vstis... I have a rather old computer) or when I used CTRL + R to open the score editor more than once.
Cubase 4(.5.2) never crashed so far.