Slate Drums 3.0 at Namm 09

Loving SSD 3.0. Amazing drum sounds, the best in the business by far. However, I still find myself coming back to DFH 1.0 cymbals, nobody seems to be able to beat them (not even ToonTrack anymore)! :lol:

More than worth it just for these kicks, snares, and toms, though - they will improve the quality of my mixes substantially!

Yes, I prefer DFH 1.0 to DFHS cymbals. Also, it's not that the SSD 3.0 cymbals are bad, it's just that I have yet to find a China cymbal or a Hi Hat that I like - which are the main types of cymbals I use on a regular basis. The crashes and rides in SSD 3.0 are very good, and the hats are decent, but the China cymbals sound really weird.

Something about the DFH 1.0 cymbals is just perfect to me overall. Thomas Hakke and Daniel Bergstrand fucking nailed it with these ones, and set a very high bar for everyone. I suppose it's maybe a taste thing, but I've found cymbals to be mostly unusable in every other drum library I've tried, from DFHS to SD 2.0 to Addictive Drums to BFD to Ocean Way. I guess I'm fixated on a particular sound, at least for metal.

Slate 3.0 + DFH 1.0 cymbals will become my new starting point for song templates, very happy with the combination.

Glad to hear it works for you. I always found the original DFH cymbals weird to work with due to a lack of simulated 'overheads'. The cymbals ended up sounding very dry, localized and robotic much of the time. DFHS really nailed it for me... I love the stuff Splatt pulled out of it in the past. It's just a shame that S2.0 really dropped the bar.

Sadly, after 10 min tweaking the SSD Kontakt Player in Reaper it freeze the whole program :(
After 3 restarts of the host it freezes the Reaper every time.

I got mine today, but im having trouble. When i goto load it says the libraries arent registered unable to load.....But ive used the service center thing to actviate it. :(

i want to order ssd 3.0 soon, but whats with this activaction thing??
i dont have/want my studiocomputer onto internet connection.
can this activiation also done offline?

i want to order ssd 3.0 soon, but whats with this activaction thing??
i dont have/want my studiocomputer onto internet connection.
can this activiation also done offline?

No need as mine is not on the net either. You just need a usb jump drive or something to copy the activation thing for internet. Its really simple...

Mine still isn working, and im installed it on 2 different computers. 1 XP and 1 Vista. Both the same problem. I register/activate the kontakt and SSD in the NI service thing, it says its activated. But, when i try to open any of the kits it says this: ERROR: could not read encrypted sample (library not registered?) continue loading? YES NO. When i click yes it just keeps looping to this message from all the samples. When i click No, it obviously doesnt load anything.

It says its registered under the info tab too on the SSD. Shows my serial number and everything....i dont get it. Ive tried everything i could think of, but its happening on both computers.. Makes me think maybe i got a bad disk. I emaled Slate, he said he would look into it. Ive looked online and it seems kontakt 2 has had some issues with loading 3rd party libraries, but that was on older versions.

Any ideas? I really wanna use this thing! :(

Heres a pic of the issue.
Slateissue.jpg

Reality, thats really weird, you were right about you validating it since the yellow logo has gone, I really don't know! Slate will know, post the post you just did on his forum and he will sort you out.

Reality, thats really weird, you were right about you validating it since the yellow logo has gone, I really don't know! Slate will know, post the post you just did on his forum and he will sort you out.

Ive actually been talking to him through email, he said he has never seen this problem before.

I called kontakt 2 times and they are clueless as to what is going on. They had me take some screen shots and email them. Im starting to get pretty frustrated.

The kontakt tech asked me what version i have and i said 2.5. He said that is werid cause they havent released that version yet. 2.4 is the latest he said. But it does say 2.5 in every place i checked on the kontakt player....so who knows.

^yea he mentioned somthing about that. But asked me to try again. Well i did, and i used the exact way the kontakt tech guy told me uninstall and reinstall. He was so confident that it was going to work(kontakt tech, not steve) but it didnt.

I just checked on the slate forums, seems like a few people are getting this same problem.

Hey, I'm going to send this info to NI Germany tonight to see whats up, anyone else who has had a similar issue has been resolved with a reinstall or a new hard drive.

Have you tried a new hard drive? Also, make sure you don't install the library on the same drive as the OS.

I'm really glad that people are diggin 3.0. As for the cymbals, you'll find a lot of people say they are the best sounding cymbals in the drum sample biz, but of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I actually own DFH 1.0 and those cymbals are not my taste, but different strokes... In the end if you're making music and you're happy, thats all that counts.

Kazrog I appreciate your support and can't wait to hear some new stuff done with your unique hybridge drum system.

I think the DFHS cymbal preference is also partly to do with them being raw so you process them to your tastes. Speaking of, Slate what HZ are your cymbals rolled off to? If any that is.

Hey, I'm going to send this info to NI Germany tonight to see whats up, anyone else who has had a similar issue has been resolved with a reinstall or a new hard drive.

Have you tried a new hard drive? Also, make sure you don't install the library on the same drive as the OS.

I'm really glad that people are diggin 3.0. As for the cymbals, you'll find a lot of people say they are the best sounding cymbals in the drum sample biz, but of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I actually own DFH 1.0 and those cymbals are not my taste, but different strokes... In the end if you're making music and you're happy, thats all that counts.

Kazrog I appreciate your support and can't wait to hear some new stuff done with your unique hybridge drum system.

Hmm, so you mean install the kontakt on 1 hard drive and then install the LE library on ....say an external? I havent tried that. If thats what you mean.

Im the one emailing you btw.

when you install the collection, install the Kontakt 2 Player on your OS drive. Then when it asks about the library, choose another hard drive, a fast one. DO NOT choose your OS drive, as its known to cause problems. I use an eSata drive and it works great.

If anyone wants to hear what we offer for cymbals, check out the SOLO DRUM demos at the site. I found some of the most popular recording cymbals, used some of the best mics and mic pres, and captured them on a piece of 2 inch tape, as true to the source as possible. There is just a little eq, and some low shelfing, and some very gentle mastering compression...

I'd say its not uncommon for me to tweak the cymbals during the mix just a bit, usually more low end shelf taking away lows (I don't like too much low end in cymbals in most mixes).. but the SOLO DRUM demos have NO eq and you can hear that the cymbals certainly don't NEED anything, since they have already been gently tweaked. We're lucky to have many emails about how much people dig the cymbals, but again, everyone has different tastes. We offer quite a few varieties so you may find some you like, and some you don't. For people who don't own the collection, again you can hear plenty of cymbal action in the 40 SOLO DRUM demos.

I can't wait to hear some new metal demos, lets hear em guys!