Stephen King´s "The Dark Tower" - The journey begins!

Felix Neumann

Sep 14, 2008
Germany
www.youtube.com
Massive update

The world has moved again (latest update)

It´s finished so far, except two solos.

Edit:

TO ALL THE SNEAPSTERS WHO WILL CONTRIBUTE..I WILL PROPABLY NOT BE ABLE TO GO ONLINE IN THE NEXT DAYS UNTIL 30. AUGUST!

Hello dudes :)

This is a very rough and early version of the first song and I´m sure there are some mixing issues. First I would like to know, if you dig what you hear. Tell me, what you like and tell me what you don´t like. It´s possible to go in any direction with the material.

What do you think about it so far?

@Metaltastic, Keregioz and Gavin, there are 3 places for guitar soloing:

- min 4:42 (directly after my solo)

- min 5:33

- min 5:49

@Stef there is one place for a fretless bass solo

-min 2:40

I played there with my normal bass, but I´m sure, a fretless bass would be a lot better!

Simply awesome dude!

The guitars remind me of something that Opeth would do if it was more upbeat sounding. The choral sounds in the background remind me of Type O Negative which is always good! That almost sounds like mellotron. Is that it??

Those acoustic guitars sound great bro, really nice. What did you use to record those?

Are the drums natural? I think the cymbals are a bit loud, but that is an easy fix.

I really, really like this though man. I'm definitely gonna listen to this many more times.

Great work!

-Joe

Simply awesome dude!

The guitars remind me of something that Opeth would do if it was more upbeat sounding. The choral sounds in the background remind me of Type O Negative which is always good! That almost sounds like mellotron. Is that it??

Those acoustic guitars sound great bro, really nice. What did you use to record those?

Are the drums natural? I think the cymbals are a bit loud, but that is an easy fix.

I really, really like this though man. I'm definitely gonna listen to this many more times.

Great work!

-Joe

Really dude?! I absolutely did not expect such positive feedback, thanks a ton! I was in the Studio today and in front of the Monitors it sounded good, but now I´m at home and...:yuk:

I have problems with some boom frequences in my housing..(especially the western guitar) but in the studio it sounded okay...hmmm.

I´m fucking glad you dig it, bro!! When the vocals and the numerous contributions of some sneapsters are recorded, it could become an epic.

"Mellotron"..never heard, dude :) "Type o Negative" I certainly know, but I didn´t listen to it very much.

For my Washburn Western guitar I used a Neumann (what else) Tlm103. I tryed to play it very western, American style,because the first book of the 7 begins like a Western story.

The drums are "semi natural" I programmed the kick and the snare (with own samples) and the cymbals I played live afterwards. I didn´t work often like this, but I recognized for me, I like it this way.

Really dude?! I absolutely did not expect such positive feedback, thanks a ton! I was in the Studio today and in front of the Monitors it sounded good, but now I´m at home and...:yuk:

I have problems with some boom frequences in my housing..(especially the western guitar) but in the studio it sounded okay...hmmm.

I´m fucking glad you dig it, bro!! When the vocals and the numerous contributions of some sneapsters are recorded, it could become an epic.

"Mellotron"..never heard, dude :) "Type o Negative" I certainly know, but I didn´t listen to it very much.

For my Washburn Western guitar I used a Neumann (what else) Tlm103. I tryed to play it very western, American style,because the first book of the 7 begins like a Western story.

The drums are "semi natural" I programmed the kick and the snare (with own samples) and the cymbals I played live afterwards. I didn´t work often like this, but I recognized for me, I like it this way.

ah ok man, got it! Yeah, the snare actually sounds a bit TOO big, if that makes any sense. I love epic sounding snares, but maybe something with a tad less boom and more crack?

By mellotron I mean the old analog synthesizer that Steven Wilson and Opeth use a lot.

Definitely a cool song though dude, I'm gonna listen on my speakers when I get home. My speakers at work kind of suck.

-Joe

Sounds very good. I read the other topic, and yes I can try something but will be not easy. If I find something good I ill put here. What´s the time of the song?

Ha! I'm first so I take the 5:49 spot!!...

Haha.. j/k... I don't mind any place. Gavin and Marcus let me know what you decide.

As far as the song goes I must say I really like it!... I just started reading the first "Dark Tower" book so I don't know if you achieved the same atmosphere... but who cares, it's really good. I really like the synths and the acoustic guitars, good job. The only criticism I have is the snare which sounds like a gunshot... (unless it was intentional haha)

ah ok man, got it! Yeah, the snare actually sounds a bit TOO big, if that makes any sense. I love epic sounding snares, but maybe something with a tad less boom and more crack?

By mellotron I mean the old analog synthesizer that Steven Wilson and Opeth use a lot.

Definitely a cool song though dude, I'm gonna listen on my speakers when I get home. My speakers at work kind of suck.

-Joe

Ahhh the old synthesizers, now I understand. No, no I used a piccolo recorder flute, recorded it and used some strange enigma effects called "mushroom therapy" for it. It´s a nice random that this sounds similar to the Opeth stuff :)

I hope it will sound good on your speakers as well, Joe. If not, tell me, dude. This booming frequences makes me crazy.

About the snare..yeah it´s maybe a bit too brutal. It´s a pearl snare and I nearly destroyed it, as I made the sample.

Ahhh the old synthesizers, now I understand. No, no I used a piccolo recorder flute, recorded it and used some strange enigma effects called "mushroom therapy" for it. It´s a nice random that this sounds similar to the Opeth stuff :)

I hope it will sound good on your speakers as well, Joe. If not, tell me, dude. This booming frequences makes me crazy.

About the snare..yeah it´s maybe a bit too brutal. It´s a pearl snare and I nearly destroyed it, as I made the sample.

Whoa, that is a pretty original sound dude! I haven't heard of that method before.

I'll definitely give a report when I arrive home.

-Joe

Sounds very good. I read the other topic, and yes I can try something but will be not easy. If I find something good I ill put here. What´s the time of the song?

Thank you very much, dude :) Yeah this will be propably not easy to find a good arrangement. I could beat myself now..I forgot to note down the tempo of the song and now I´m not in the studio and I´ll travel to Ney York in a couple of hours..aaargh :yell:

Ha! I'm first so I take the 5:49 spot!!...

Haha.. j/k... I don't mind any place. Gavin and Marcus let me know what you decide.

As far as the song goes I must say I really like it!... I just started reading the first "Dark Tower" book so I don't know if you achieved the same atmosphere... but who cares, it's really good. I really like the synths and the acoustic guitars, good job. The only criticism I have is the snare which sounds like a gunshot... (unless it was intentional haha)

Hell yeah, dude :Smokin: Thank you very much! All solo spots has the same length, so this will be fair. Including me there will be 4 solos. That´s why each of us only have only a few bars. I hope this is okay for you guys, though.

Haha you are the second one who mentioned the überbrutal snare :D It was certainly intentional. I really like it this way, it fits the song/mix IMO. Maybe a matter of taste. With the vocals it will have another sound overall.

Hell yeah, dude :Smokin: Thank you very much! All solo spots has the same length, so this will be fair. Including me there will be 4 solos. That´s why each of us only have only a few bars. I hope this is okay for you guys, though.

Haha you are the second one who mentioned the überbrutal snare :D It was certainly intentional. I really like it this way, it fits the song/mix IMO. Maybe a matter of taste. With the vocals it will have another sound overall.

Well, you are the composer so if you like it that's all that matters :).

Anyway, I think I'll do the solo on 5:49 which I think is the same as 4:42? So you can place it on either spot. If it's ok with the other guys of course.

Well, you are the composer so if you like it that's all that matters :).

Anyway, I think I'll do the solo on 5:49 which I think is the same as 4:42? So you can place it on either spot. If it's ok with the other guys of course.

Yeah that´s true, but Im very open minded for any ideas and proposals. Let´s see..maybe you guys convince me about the snare ;) At the end this is not just my baby, this will be our baby.

Exactly dude. 4:42 and 5:49 is the same harmonically.

Hey Felix,

Listening now at home I do hear the boomy frequencies, but those shouldn't be a problem to take care of! Otherwise it sounds great.

-Joe

Great atmosphere and the acoustic guitars sound so sweet! This is a very cool beginning for your "journey":cool:

Only thing (as mentioned before) is the snare in combination with the accented guitars - it's a little too much for my taste. But that's only my opinion... Oh, and one more (minor) thing... at ~2:09 there is one weird (detuned?) sounding note that sticks out a little bit.

Overall I really like it very much and can't wait for the final product!