A concept album about Stephen King´s "The Dark Tower"

Massive Dark Tower fan here... this could go really well, or horribly wrong. Please don't make a metal album and just strap on some Dark Tower artwork; coz that would royally blow. Atmosphere is key with the Dark Tower books, and the same could be said for any music inspired by it. More effects-driven than virtuosic guitar work, imho.

I absolutely agree, dude. This will be a longtime project over years..I don´t make it too simple for me. I´m very open minded to all genres and artistic freedom is the keyword for this project.

I absolutely agree, dude. This will be a longtime project over years..I don´t make it too simple for me. I´m very open minded to all genres and artistic freedom is the keyword for this project.

I'll wax fretical on this when i get my recording gear in the post to this new appartment! Would be fun to collab with you on something!

I'll wax fretical on this when i get my recording gear in the post to this new appartment! Would be fun to collab with you on something!

Sounds great, Gavin :) I hope I can show you some bars in the next month. I will go on working on the first song after my holidays. There will be a lot of space for creative ideas. Currently I´m stuck a bit..but only concerning recording/mixing. The arrangements of the first song exists already, also the lyrics.

Sounds great, Gavin :) I hope I can show you some bars in the next month. I will go on working on the first song after my holidays. There will be a lot of space for creative ideas. Currently I´m stuck a bit..but only concerning recording/mixing. The arrangements of the first song exists already, also the lyrics.

I'll add you on MSN and we can talk about it at some point! (Changing address in a week due to domain expiring and i'm taking on a new one)

I'll add you on MSN and we can talk about it at some point! (Changing address in a week due to domain expiring and i'm taking on a new one)

Okay dude, I´m glad you´re interested! So far Metaltastic and Keregioz (for some leads) StefTD (fretless bass) and et al (Artworks) will contribute.

Can´t wait to show you guys the backingtrack!!! :Spin:

I've always pictured the first book's music as that low-key slide guitar/ambient music as it was in the Randall Flagg scenes in The Stand miniseries (and Redding in Fallout 2). Maybe some more eerie/horror ambient for the finale.

Here you go:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a funny random, dude. I already have this typical "The Stand" Randall Flagg slides recorded for this song :) But...wtf I did not know, that Fallout used the material of the Stand movie??! I´m confused. Did they get the Licence? This sounds awesome!

Alright. I will finish the rough backingtrack today (before I travel to New York 10 days) and load it up! Don´t expect a wall of sound! This is supposed to be a sneapster collaboration and also YOU will fill it with Quality!

I think, the most important elements are the following so far:

-AMBIENT/SOUND FX (drew drummer)
-LEAD SOLOS (Metaltastic, Keregioz, Gavin)
-Synth (?)

Vocals I will record when I´m back in Germany :)

It's a kind of stereotypical cowboy lick :lol: And at least in Finland (probably the rest of the world too), you cannot copyright a chord progress.

Yeah, but effectively :lol: As a kid I saw the movie 1000 times. As I saw it, couple of month ago, I laughed off my ass. Randall Flagg looks like an idiot :) The hairstyle!!!

I did not use exactly this lick, but I recorded some western slights for the song.

If you need some kind of orchestral arrangements to your stuff and if I have time I can try something. But I am no pro in that, just an amateur with a lot of curiosity.

Here are 2 samples made by me for a project.
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1457645/winter.mp3
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1457645/Jtv.mp3

I also can do something more ambiental without the classic shit. Well to say the truth those soundclips were my first try on that kind of style.

Confirmed, Motherlover!

Haha yeah, I just upload my shit and throw it in the "rate my mix" section. I´m sure there are some mixing issues :bah:

@Nuno Felipe, your clips sounded good :) Why not trying something along my backingtrack. I think it will be not easy to compose some matching arrangement, but you can try it, if you want.

Felix, I'm up for a solo for a future song, but I'm not so much into shredding (I can a little but not cleanly and I'm more one of those who would put something in between thrash and rock n roll over any metal song !). A blues part would be wonderful also !

Well...maybe it´s time to excavate this thread again, because it couldn´t be more current! I think, some of you guys know the song "The world has moved again"(feat. Metaltastic, Keregioz, The_Shred) That was the first song I recorded for this longtime project.

Now I´m on the verge to show you the second song of the project, called "The Gunslinger´s Ka" (feat. Goddamn guitar, Metaltastic, Keregioz, The_Shred, Oliver, Skinny Viking and me on the leads). Yes..you read it correctly. 7 lead solos played by 7 different guys around the world in one fucking song/instrumental! Lasse Lammert is just about to master it, so I will open a thread about the song in the next days.

This is supposed to be the prelude/the opener of the album. This track will show, what you can expect of the entire album, when it´s finished then. Fucking lead battles & merciless riffing!!!! :) The name of this longtime project is called MACHINES & MADNESS.

As anxious as I am to hear the final version of "Gunslinger's Ka" I'm also dying to know what piece of music comes next for this project

Count me in at any time for any parts Felix!