still life 5.1 release date: 31st march 2008...

It's a nice cover, but it looks like it's just been endowed with a red glow filter. The original was definitely better, IMO.

I don't have 5.1, but if the original recording sounds significantly different on stereo as well, I'll definitely buy it and put it alongside the original.

Been looking around for this for the NA release..
looks like this will be EU only? I'm having trouble finding info on the NA date.

fränzi;6967066 said:
It's a nice cover, but it looks like it's just been endowed with a red glow filter. The original was definitely better, IMO.

I don't have 5.1, but if the original recording sounds significantly different on stereo as well, I'll definitely buy it and put it alongside the original.

I can guarantee you that there was WAY more work put into it than that.

Found U.S. release date of April 15, 2008 on Amazon.com :mad:
Too long to wait, luckily thats about half way til Watershed comes out :headbang:

Has anyone heard from a reliable source that these release dates are actually valid? I've found nothing on Peaceville's site and nothing on Opeth's site. Hell, not even Blabbermouth has posted anything about a release date for the remix of Still Life. According to the release dates posted in this thread it's only a month left, it just doesn't seem very likely considering there's nothing mentioned from any official source ... at least not that I know of.

I have only listened to two 5.1 mixes ever and it's Ghost reveries and Still life.
The original Still life mix I remember I was extremely happy with at the time, but gee, it certainly has a lot of reverb! A LOT!

This one was very interesting to listen to. I hear things that I can't hear on the original...almost like we've got different takes of parts, but it's impossible since that was done on 2 inch tapes. There are vocals, leads and stuff I can't remember at all. Now, it was a delicate question how to mix these parts as I didn't want it to be a novelty for this release. We decided to keep them there but some are kinda low in the mix.

Either way it's much clearer, less reverb, more bass (thanks!) and overall better sounding.

We also got rid of the drop outs in "The moor".

The artwork is stunning I think. It looks like a fantasy novel with a customized picture illustrating each song. I dug out some studio pics as well, but we look like complete bums to be honest...but we put them in there anyways...
There are more pics from the promo photo session in there as well. One cool, "Reservoir dogs" type pic among other things.

Mike

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7025017 said:
I have only listened to two 5.1 mixes ever and it's Ghost reveries and Still life.
The original Still life mix I remember I was extremely happy with at the time, but gee, it certainly has a lot of reverb! A LOT!

This one was very interesting to listen to. I hear things that I can't hear on the original...almost like we've got different takes of parts, but it's impossible since that was done on 2 inch tapes. There are vocals, leads and stuff I can't remember at all. Now, it was a delicate question how to mix these parts as I didn't want it to be a novelty for this release. We decided to keep them there but some are kinda low in the mix.

Either way it's much clearer, less reverb, more bass (thanks!) and overall better sounding.

The artwork is stunning I think. It looks like a fantasy novel with a customized picture illustrating each song. I dug out some studio pics as well, but we look like complete bums to be honest...but we put them in there anyways...
There are more pics from the promo photo session in there as well. One cool, "Reservoir dogs" type pic among other things.

Mike

You mean there are vocal parts that you don't remember? Or did I misunderstand that? Cool anyway! At last The Moor without the drop outs, a great song becomes even better :)

Met Fredrik today, hope I'll see you guys on the melloboat. Can't wait to hear the new material live!

/Jocke

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7025017 said:

Mike

awe-some!
:dopey:

I will wait even more anxiously.

but we still have no confirmed date..

hmm

I got mail from Peaceville, it says:
Peaceville Records present
OPETH Still Life
2-disc Special Edition (including 5.1 surround mix)

2-disc edition of classic opeth album featuring a re-mastered stereo mix of the album on cd plus dvd with new 5.1 surround sound mix plus 'face of melinda' filmed live in london. the artwork has been re-worked by original designer travis smith

OUT MARCH 31ST

go to: www.peaceville.com/opeth/stilllife or click here for more info, audio tracks, and to download exclusive desktops for your pc

I got mail from Peaceville, it says:
Peaceville Records present
OPETH Still Life
2-disc Special Edition (including 5.1 surround mix)

2-disc edition of classic opeth album featuring a re-mastered stereo mix of the album on cd plus dvd with new 5.1 surround sound mix plus 'face of melinda' filmed live in london. the artwork has been re-worked by original designer travis smith

OUT MARCH 31ST

go to: www.peaceville.com/opeth/stilllife or click here for more info, audio tracks, and to download exclusive desktops for your pc

wow, sounds great. Feels fresh.

Great, seems like I have a CD to preorder there...
Still, I don't mean to be a bastard there but, I really hope the mix will sound better than the one that's been made for Ghost Reveries... which didn't sound bad at all, but didn't really take advantage of the 5 different outputs.
Looking forward to hear it though.

Just pre-ordered. Glad it's earlier than the Amazon release. Nice wallpaper as well. Cheers for the heads up on the Peaceville link. I'm sure it will keep me at bay waiting for Watershed's release.