still life 5.1 release date: 31st march 2008...

Terrible quality? The stream even sounds better than the original Still Life CD, at least using my headphones...

It's not terrible, but it's not perfect CD quality.
It's definitely going to sound much much better when we get our hands on the real thing.

Relative levels wont change from file compression, and its quite easy to tell this new re mix just sounds like a re master, boring imho.

Well, keep in mind that the stereo CD is indeed a remaster, not a new mix. It's just remixed for the 5.1 part.

Well, keep in mind that the stereo CD is indeed a remaster, not a new mix. It's just remixed for the 5.1 part.
Yeah, I still would like to hear the surround mix, of course I cant do that without buying it, so odds are I'll still be passing after hearing all the effort put into the stereo mix.

Relative levels wont change from file compression, and its quite easy to tell this new re mix just sounds like a re master, boring imho.

In the news statement on opeth.com it says that the new 2-cd edition of Still Life features a remastered stereomix and a new 5.1 mix, so you're right in saying that the stereo mix is just a re-master.

For my own part, I'm mainly interested in the 5.1 mix, so I just hope that one is good. It sounds like the 5.1 mix is what Mike has based his comments in this thread on ... And I have no reason to question his judgement of what a good mix is and what differences are to be found compared to the original stereo mix, so I'm sure it'll be great and bring a new perspective to the original recording ...

Edit: Sorry, just realized I wasn't exactly bringing anything new to the table ...

There seems to be one thing people missunderstand time and time again and record companies cash in on this.
remastered means the origional 2 track (in this case)mixdown from the multitrack recordings is sent to a mastering house or person who should have a well reated accustic room with as accurate monitors as possable. the (re)mastering process usually involves proccessing the recording to make the best overall sound on as many systems as possable in as many rooms as possable, this is usually done by careful multiband compression, selective equalisation of frequencys and often limiting to trim the peaks to a more manageable dynamic range (ie so you can hear the quiet parts easily and the loud parts in relation to each other, it also helps make it radio friendly if say singles are intended) then the tracks are made to comply with the red (or orange) book standard for say cd with spaces between tracks and lead in and lead out passages. the material is then compiled ready for approval and sending to the pressing plant. this process can nowadays bring out un noticed or unheard parts of the mix and increase clarity, it doesnt in any way mean the track has been remixed.
the 5.1 version will have requiterd the orogional multitrack tapes to be probably remixed taking into account the 5.1 placing of the instruments in the mix and and i would expect taking the opportunity to make the recording much better using modern effects and processers. this then when finished will be sent for mastering.
i would have thought that they would have also remixed the tracks for stereo again taking advantage of the new options ab the hindsight of band and fans optinions over the last few years. i think still life could sound really great, although it was ok in its first version and also ther glitches can be corrected.

perhapse the rest of the albums could be remixed at some point as i think all the albums up to bwp could do with a little bit of attention.

remastering is a quick money making fix thats all
You lost me at "There seems".

Basically, remastering is just raising/decreasing the levels etc from the original master tapes to make it sound the best on as many stereo systems as possible, using the new technologies available that weren't when the original master was made in 1999. Remixing involves taking the original master tapes and doing a new instrument mix and master. That's remixing and remastering in a nutshell, if I paraphrased that whole thing right.

My favorite album ever in 5.1!!! I did notice that the GR 5.1 didn't have a center channel at all... I can't wait for Still Life, (but I have to Damn living in America!)

The difference between stereo and 5.1 is life changing. If you don't have a 5.1 system go get one! It will change your life forever...

My favorite album ever in 5.1!!!

... I can't wait for Still Life, (but I have to Damn living in America!)

Amazon.com is selling it at a reasonable price, so what's the problem with this release and living in America?

The difference between stereo and 5.1 is life changing. If you don't have a 5.1 system go get one! It will change your life forever...

I'm definitely going to have to consider investing in one sometime. I have a few CDs that come with 5.1 bonus discs, but I've never been able to listen to them!

I did notice that the GR 5.1 didn't have a center channel at all...
Its there, but at quite a low level, and is simply a mono version of the front left and right channels; as an FYI, the sub channel is also present.

Its there, but at quite a low level, and is simply a mono version of the front left and right channels; as an FYI, the sub channel is also present.

Thats one of the best things about the 5.1 is that bass is so clean and defined and not muddled with the other channels. If you have never heard a 5.1 CD take your Opeth to a Ultimate Electronics or something and ask to put it in...

Awesome music experience +1
Couple hundred $ -1

So the album is being released today. I've just ordered it from burningshed.com and I guess I'll receive it later this week.

Anybody got it already?

Yea, I have it, bought it from amazon.com

I just downloaded it though, no jewel case.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Still-Life-Opeth/dp/B0013N4AT0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1206978196&sr=8-3[/ame]

I'm waiting for mine to come from hmv.co.uk. Got it pretty cheap!

I saw it in the shop today has a really cool new back cover of a large gothic building.