Still Life Cd-Cover.....

Jester-Race

Nov 8, 2006
Kansas.
Is absolutely stunning. I've seen the preview small pictures before ordering a copy, but jesus christ, literally, i've never seen a cd cover as amazing as this. the artwork of the church and melinda crying, also anyone know what the picture is on the inside of the person holding the hand near the ground?

btw; this is on the reissue 2003, it didn't come in a cd case.

definitely....so what do you think the name actually implies, i never thought about it much but lately ive created quite a mindfuck! is it still life as in a still life picture or in a way thats " its still life though". if this makes any sense. a still life pic is not of a person and this is the only opeth album with a person on the front (well maybe GR).

after thinking about your reply for about 15 minutes, I believe the name for the album "Still Life" as well as the picture on the front equates into a suggestion that everything that has happened in the [picture] is a collection of lifetime events portrayed into a single instant in time during some imminent turning point in which significant changes occur to the story, no matter how it begins or ends. Without even needing to read the lyrics, all that matters is that single instant in which whoever is witnessing the [picture] is told a story with unimaginable depth.

That's what I believe still life means, a simple picture telling many, many stories with it's own thoughts.

Or I could be just high...

hmmmm...very cool, i never thought about it really that way, i like it. such a brillant work of art that cd is. its so beautifully placed within the opeth discography. its in a way so raw, straight from mikes mind completely untainted. goddamn...

I bet if you asked Mikael about the meaning behind the title 'Still Life' you'd get the same answer he gives for Blackwater Park. It's a cool name stolen from a band. And although I love to disect Opeth's lyrics and think about some kind of deeper meaning, I really think they're just there because they sound cool. I suppose it's enlightening to know that not all brilliant art needs to be overly intelligent or 'deep' but sometimes it's good "just cause." Still Life cover is probably the most emo of all their covers. Fucking awesome album though. Check the photoshopeth thread for an example of still life art.

Yea. Im a big fan of the Still life cover, and hell the album is incredible as well. I also really like the font of "Opeth" on the back of the booklet of the 2003 reissue, its quite a bit different from the other fonts the band have used, and imo is pretty cool. Just thought id throw that out there!

Is absolutely stunning. I've seen the preview small pictures before ordering a copy, but jesus christ, literally, i've never seen a cd cover as amazing as this. the artwork of the church and melinda crying, also anyone know what the picture is on the inside of the person holding the hand near the ground?

btw; this is on the reissue 2003, it didn't come in a cd case.

I agree with you. Definitely in my top 5 album covers of all-time list, hehe. And yep, I purposely bought the digi-pack re-issue of the album because the coverart itself is FAR superior in quality to the original's. :p And also, it lists the song titles on the actual cd like all other Opeth albums.

So now, I have a copy of Still Life for the car stereo and for home listening - ohhhh yes!!!

It's a still life of the Virgin Mary statuette (if that's a word) in front of a relevant background.
(I've done three years of Art and Design, so for my own ego, I like to think that I know what I'm talking about)
It is my favorite cover by far, at least on the 2003 thing.

Morningrise is just beautiful to me. Something about the house in the background on a bridge, and how it reflects onto the water. And the dark forest behind the house. Ah, the mystery and the beauty!! Musically, I've felt for quite awhile that Morningrise is the best metal album ever created.

I agree with BloodSword. The Morningrise cover is the greates of the opeth covers. Great photography.