Still life or My arms...???

sol83

Jun 15, 2002
Greece
I'm thinking of expanding my Opeth collection. I only got BP and I was thinking to start with SL or MAYH..... So what do you Opeth freaks think?
Thanx.

Still Life has more acoustic moments, more clean vocals (2 songs entirely with clean vocals) and is more "epic"(?). (and it contains my favourite song, "The Moor".)
MAYH is the heaviest Opeth album (except Deliverance?), with shorter songs. more compact, but also with some the mellow parts and clean vocals. difficult...but....get SL! :)

Either one is a good choice, but it just depends on what you like. Like Alex said, there's more clean vocals and acoustic bits on Still Life, and MAYH is more catering to the heavy side. I'd say Still Life is closer musically to Blackwater Park and more accessible, so I'd go with that.

Originally posted by Stinkfist
It doesn't matter, you'll get them both eventually.

I know but help me out to see what to get first. I don't have money to buy only Opeth records. There are tons of releases I have to invest on....

Still Life is "cleaner" and whenever I think about it I think "classical (accoustic) guitar". Its very prominent there.

MAYH is dirtier, more aggressive, best as far as lyrics go, and is an excellent concept album. I prefer MAYH over Still Life, cause it's just a great story concept tied to music.

I believe MAYH's music was written to the lyrics. (am i wrong?)
Get MAYH if all you have is BWP and want to hear a different Opeth. If you wanna totally play safe, then just go for Still Life.

You wont be dissapointed with any.

..but get MAYH. :lol:

"MAYH is pure billiance and Still LIfe is pur dullness."

I could not have put it any better.

I am still listening to MAYH (after 2 years of owning it) at least once a week and then I spin it at least 3 times before I put it away. I do not even know where my Still Life cd is...somewhere collecting dust because to me it is their most boring cd. Two songs on that one, are all I really enjoy. I do not skip any on MAYH.

MAYH is Opeth at their best (well, I haven't counted Deliverence yet).