Stop bitching the New In flames !

DRAGONFORCE LAWL CYBORG BITCH)
LOLOL I KNO RITE?
I personally tought the ASOP cover and booklet was interesting, with the whole idea of the labyrinth and mirror, but I haven't seen the older bookets. Anyway it's more interesting than 10 pages of faggy photo shoots of the band trying to look cool.

You are kind of right, it's pretty creative to try to make concept art to go along with the theme of the songs, but when the art is gay, it's just ew.

And I like some band pictures here and there.

I don't know about inside of booklets but the covers were WAY better back then, especially with that one guy who did Jester, Whoracle, and Colony. Even Clayman had a good cover.

I don't know about inside of booklets but the covers were WAY better back then, especially with that one guy who did Jester, Whoracle, and Colony.

Yea Jester, Whoracle, and Colony were really amazing, but the cover followed the lyrics, from astrology to more personnal struggle. I like both personnaly :)

Most of the fans here have been fans for more than "3 months" therefore their opinions are based on experience with the band. We have followed their music for a while and can see the progression towards :erk: . You on the other hand have barely scratched the surface of their 15 year career spanning multiple genres. Maybe with time you will understand.

I always thought Daniel was a pretty average drummer too

In all respect this band needs to go back being Jesper's band and about him writing badass riffs and amazing melodies

The jester race, whoracle, and colony were all amazing albums. In flames is not the same band that wrote those works of art.

To me, personally it sounds pretty logical why there's so much hate towards the new In flames. I'd try to explain and talk about the follow subjects:

1: Lyrics/vocals
2: riffs
3: Lack of energy/enthusiasm to play older, better songs.

1: Lyrics/vocals

Let's face it: the lyrics aren't great, infact they're pretty silly at times. Obviously it's Friden's own lyrics, it's his choice to write about anything he wants to. But doesn't he realise that his lyrics are far from great, care if I say far from decent?

The vocals aren't that great either, to me Friden was never a great vocalist. He lacked emotion, enthusiasm and strength in his vocals to put out some decent growls. They sounded dry and pretty forced in his early years (except for Colony maybe). But they were never that great. His new vocals are annoying as shit, especially some of his clean vocals. Just as his lyrics they sound pretty silly at times.

2: Riffs

I heard people who said that the new In flames are melodic metal, but I have to disagree: The riffs, accept it or not sound nu metal ish. New In flames with ''normal'' riffs could be regarded as melodic metal, but the riffs sound like something you'd expect from an typical commercial band.

3: Lack of energy/enthusiasm to play older, better songs.

Why they're not playing older classics such as Upon an oaken throne and behind space is beyond me. Sure Friden's vocals don't fit but they could atleast TRY to do it. I'm sure they'd regain some respect fans once had for them again.

My 3 cents. ;)

Again, it's a pretty easy statement. And again, it's not my opinion ;)

My point is that popular music is generally simplistic in structure and attracts more listeners than more complex music, and that In Flames has taken a similar route with their music with the desired effects.

fratt said:
This a rough sentence ... you might not like them, but at least they're more original than many band's cover (slipknot ? Manowar ? DRAGONFORCE LAWL CYBORG BITCH)
I personally tought the ASOP cover and booklet was interesting, with the whole idea of the labyrinth and mirror, but I haven't seen the older bookets. Anyway it's more interesting than 10 pages of faggy photo shoots of the band trying to look cool.

Dragonforce, Slipknot and Manowar you expect gay covers from, that's not really basis for comparison. In Flames have had good covers in the past and aren't a joke band. However, the artwork since R2R has been dire. Come on - Soundtrack's uninspired, Come Clarity is pure emo, and ASOp is just fuckin' weird. I admit it's an interesting idea of sorts but i'm sorry, the artwork is atrocious, and so is their new logo. I will never buy a piece of In Flames merch with THAT logo on it.

chuckisgod said:
In all respect this band needs to go back being Jesper's band and about him writing badass riffs and amazing melodies

The jester race, whoracle, and colony were all amazing albums. In flames is not the same band that wrote those works of art.

I honestly think it's too late for that now... In Flames will never go back to how they were. It wouldn't make any sense to either, from a business point of view. "I've got an idea guise, let's switch back to our previous style, you know, the one we didn't have many fans with but were musically badass?"

Much as musically it would be the correct decision, it would be commercial suicide.

metalkicksass said:
The vocals aren't that great either, to me Friden was never a great vocalist. He lacked emotion, enthusiasm and strength in his vocals to put out some decent growls. They sounded dry and pretty forced in his early years (except for Colony maybe). But they were never that great. His new vocals are annoying as shit, especially some of his clean vocals. Just as his lyrics they sound pretty silly at times.

I think his vocals are fine up until Reroute, where they sound robotic. On CD, up until ASOP, he was still fine, though live he suffers a lot. ASOP marked a severe downturn in his vocal performance. Agree with lyrics past Clayman. Reroute had some OK lyrics at times, but STYE, CC and ASOP are embarressing.

metalkicksass said:
I heard people who said that the new In flames are melodic metal, but I have to disagree: The riffs, accept it or not sound nu metal ish. New In flames with ''normal'' riffs could be regarded as melodic metal, but the riffs sound like something you'd expect from an typical commercial band.

They're melodic metal to me, but really, I think the genre argument is considered more important than it really is.

metalkicksass said:
Why they're not playing older classics such as Upon an oaken throne and behind space is beyond me. Sure Friden's vocals don't fit but they could atleast TRY to do it. I'm sure they'd regain some respect fans once had for them again.

I have no problem with them not playing anything off Lunar/Sub - half the band wasn't even a part of those records, and about 0.1% of the crowd know the songs. It'd be cool to hear a Lunar/Sub song every so often, but they're far from imperative. The distain the band show towards The Jester Race and Whoracle, however, is appalling.

In Flames will never go back to how they were. It wouldn't make any sense to either, from a business point of view. "I've got an idea guise, let's switch back to our previous style, you know, the one we didn't have many fans with but were musically badass?"

Much as musically it would be the correct decision, it would be commercial suicide.

they could go back, just look at Machine Head

Not a valid base for comparison, two very different situations.

Machine Head is a perfect comparsion. They went pretty damn Nu-Metalish with their music in the early 2000s. Supercharger I think the album was called. Cannot remember. Then thus came that album with Imperium and then the Blackening (which i have a shirt of). Clenching the Fists of Dissent is pretty damn awesome live. Heres a youtube comparsion.

Nu metal Machine Head -

(probably the worst they were )

Current Machine Head -

(solo in this one reminds me a lil of melodic death metal...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly do not think you can compare Machine Head and In Flames in terms of transformation. Machine Head failed to gain a bigger audience or any real friends with their 'nu metal' sounding albums, did they not, hence why they reverted to their older sound? They started changing towards that direction around the time they released 'The Burning Red', which was what, 3 albums into their career? In Flames had 5 albums under their belt before they began seriously changing (6 if you count subterranean). In Flames have seen their star rise since their transformation, and it continues to do so. Machine Head's experimentation kinda failed, hence their return to form around Through the Ashes of Empires. So, in reality, MH released one slightly experimental album (The Burning Red), then one really experimental album (Supercharger), got an awful response, and began to rectify their mistakes directly afterwards. How is this the same as In Flames?

For Machine Head reverting to their original style was the right thing to do, for In Flames(at this point in time) it isn't.

So, in reality, MH released one slightly experimental album (The Burning Red)

Slightly experimental? The "From this Day" video (The one with the weird spiked hair) was from that album. Supercharger followed with a slightly heavier sound, but still persisted with the rapped vocals and what not.

The Burning Red ALSO sold about the same amount of copies in 3 years as "Burn My Eyes" did in 8 years. How is that not a success?

Source -
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=3145

2001 Supercharger was released. Burn My Eyes was in 1999. We could say that in 1999, the Nu-Metal front as quite strong (Follow the Leader by Korn was released this year). 2001 things were changing somewhat. Not to mention their video for that album was "banned" due to being related to the september 11th attacks.

Perhaps they just came to their senses?

Maybe In flames just wanted to get a bit softer, because they felt more like it ? A lot of bands are doing that (Gojira, All that Remains, Manowar, Rammstein ...). You can't force a band to stay in the same fuckin style for his whole existence.

WTF?? gojira going softer? man you are an idiot, or you just haven't listened to the new album especially "toxic garbage island"