Stories involving Opeth works

Kamel

Trollhunter
Mar 27, 2009
Well, I Created this thread because i didn't want to spoil Bianca's thread with a story of my own, But I've listened to Opeth for such a long time and so continuously -their music has been part of many important moments of my life- that I couldn't help feeling myself identified with Bianca's story.

I Remember once I was cast away from my ex-girlfriend house by her parents; it was a very difficult situation, for I almost ended up boxing with her father, and they were all drunk. She was crying in the middle of the room watching them insulting me, and it finally ended when her brother led me out, this one gently, and I went away alone, cause my girlfriend didn't have the heart nor the guts to follow me - for she knew she was going to leave her house forever if she crossed the gate-

On my way home, I listened to Still Life from the beggining; i had never felt so identified myself with an album before; every part of every song fit perfectly with the anger and sadness I felt in that moment; I'm never going to forget it. ...never ever.

After hearing the album I stopped the car and I felt much better. I took a deep breath and gave the matter a second thought and her a second chance.

I know you have stories involving Opeth's songs.

please share.

I'm sorry about that, but powerfull and nice story! did you get a rematch against the drunkies?

I have one similiar one, but yet totaly different. I've written this in another thread I believe, but whatever.

it was mid summer. I decided to go to my summer place outside of Norrtälje i Sweden, and so I did. I have a little cottage there, one room with a bed in, in the middle of the deep woods, at a small lake.
When I got there my father phoned me about a wolf that ha'd been spotted in the forrest I was in, but I decided to stay (as I'm not one of those locos who think wolves are man-eating beasts).
the dusk came closer and it started raining like bloody hell, and along came thunder and darkness. and there I was, in my wooden bed, in the middle of the night, when rain shattered on the roof making that cozy sound along with the thunder lightening up the cottage, being surrounded by wolves. I could feel the scent of swedish summer-rain and old wood.

so I decided to give Watershed a go on my MP3. And all I can say is ORGASM.. I remember Heir Apparent the best. It made the perfect mood and even if I shat bricks, I still couldn't turn it off. it wasn't in my power!
One of my best memories, and the highlight of my life.

sorry if this wasn't really a story, and if my english blew.

I remember a time when my band and I, after rehearsing, used to go for some booze to a very small -but cozy- Pub in Rancagua. The music was great, for they played rock and even metal all night long, and that was very hard to find in a mainstream boring city nightlife like mine. It wasn't very crowded, so we asked the landlord -Nowadays one of my high-esteem friends- if he could play a CD i was carrying in my Discman. . It was "Blackwater park" and it had been just released. After listening to "the lepper affinity", The Landlord went crazy about the music, and that night we had hundreds of beers and we felt particularly mystified by the "new" album of our common-favorite band.

After that night, We came back every thursday (and friday, and saturday) with a different opeth album, including albums by other bands such Katatonia and MY dying bride. It was like "the Opeth pub".

I hardly could forget those moments. Now it's far for being the same, the band is split up and I haven't seen some of the guys in a long time. They were my best friends and now I hardly talk to them. I want those moments back.

I'm sorry about that, but powerfull and nice story! did you get a rematch against the drunkies?

I have one similiar one, but yet totaly different. I've written this in another thread I believe, but whatever.

it was mid summer. I decided to go to my summer place outside of Norrtälje i Sweden, and so I did. I have a little cottage there, one room with a bed in, in the middle of the deep woods, at a small lake.
When I got there my father phoned me about a wolf that ha'd been spotted in the forrest I was in, but I decided to stay (as I'm not one of those locos who think wolves are man-eating beasts).
the dusk came closer and it started raining like bloody hell, and along came thunder and darkness. and there I was, in my wooden bed, in the middle of the night, when rain shattered on the roof making that cozy sound along with the thunder lightening up the cottage, being surrounded by wolves. I could feel the scent of swedish summer-rain and old wood.

so I decided to give Watershed a go on my MP3. And all I can say is ORGASM.. I remember Heir Apparent the best. It made the perfect mood and even if I shat bricks, I still couldn't turn it off. it wasn't in my power!
One of my best memories, and the highlight of my life.

sorry if this wasn't really a story, and if my english blew.

maybe this is what I need for Watershed to grow on me.....

I remember a time when my band and I, after rehearsing, used to go for some booze to a very small -but cozy- Pub in Rancagua. The music was great, for they played rock and even metal all night long, and that was very hard to find in a mainstream boring city nightlife like mine. It wasn't very crowded, so we asked the landlord -Nowadays one of my high-esteem friends- if he could play a CD i was carrying in my Discman. . It was "Blackwater park" and it had been just released. After listening to "the lepper affinity", The Landlord went crazy about the music, and that night we had hundreds of beers and we felt particularly mystified by the "new" album of our common-favorite band.

After that night, We came back every thursday (and friday, and saturday) with a different opeth album, including albums by other bands such Katatonia and MY dying bride. It was like "the Opeth pub".

I hardly could forget those moments. Now it's far for being the same, the band is split up and I haven't seen some of the guys in a long time. They were my best friends and now I hardly talk to them. I want those moments back.

holy shit, why isnt that my local pub? :worship:

ever tried to read Lovecraft while listening to "Orchid"?

It's creepy. really.

One winter night I happened to be feeling incredibly sad. Dark things had been taking place in my life those days, and grief filled me like a torrent of rotten blood in my veins.
I was sitting on a wooden chair, staring at the rain in the other side of my cold window, listening to nothing but the unbearable ticking of the clock, drumming in my brain like a smith hammer molding my nightmares while I drowned alone in my deep, cold sorrow.
As I couldn't take it any longer, I took a bag, put some stuff in it and went outside, not knowing what to do or where to go. I was going to begin a new life; I was reborn.
Only rain was my companion that night, and my feet followed only the sigh of the horizon, shily leaning out from between buildings. I kept walking until I ran into the local cathedral, a beautiful and ancient building, standing imposingly before me. I went inside, and noticed there was nobody there. It was such a huge place... and the only sound was sacred music coming from the multiple speakers in the cieilling. Then I got an idea: I sneaked in, went up some stairs in the back, came into the part where the organ and stereo were, and remembered that I had some cd's in my bag. I took Orchid and put it on, selected Silhouette and played it. Being there, alone, listening to it, on the top part of the temple, in the middle of the storm, felt like softly caressing the face of beauty itself. As soon as the song ended, I started crying like a widow, and stayed on the floor, motionless, for a long time, only listening to the most mystical, beautiful music I had ever heard. The Apostle In Triumph made me fly, feeling nothing but a slight and gentle darkness, slowly filling me, washing away my sorrow, and letting me witness the whole beauty of the night.

Well, this story is actually fake. xP I just felt like typing something.
The real stories for me are the ones I imagine while listening to Opeth.

I too have a story to tell my friends...

Me and my band mates used to jam in this old rehearsal space and had to walk throufgh this lil forest to the room,,,,..everytimne we would finsish early enought to be out of teh woods beofrre nightfall.....once night we were trying to learn "BWP" and got too into it and forgot the time.........it was dark and we decided to call it a night and treck through the Forest.....it was dark and we all sort of got lost......there I saw a fire breathing skeleton......He was on a chariot....and some of them were running with thier boney legs.....i jumped on one of the chariots and tied it to the tree.....the skeopetons were breathing FIRE....."BASTARD FIRES" one might say....I got lost in the tree....and I had fear of skeleton.....and then on top of it all...i forgets my chariot....it was a long loneyl night up in the tree....but by Dawn they were all gone....and I was able to come back down adn get home safely...

I think once a memeber here even described this with his poetic words....and another in a song...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=53722&songID=6077450 ........PEAC EOUT
ß
ß
■
o

I too have a story to tell my friends...

Me and my band mates used to jam in this old rehearsal space and had to walk throufgh this lil forest to the room,,,,..everytimne we would finsish early enought to be out of teh woods beofrre nightfall.....once night we were trying to learn "BWP" and got too into it and forgot the time.........it was dark and we decided to call it a night and treck through the Forest.....it was dark and we all sort of got lost......there I saw a fire breathing skeleton......He was on a chariot....and some of them were running with thier boney legs.....i jumped on one of the chariots and tied it to the tree.....the skeopetons were breathing FIRE....."BASTARD FIRES" one might say....I got lost in the tree....and I had fear of skeleton.....and then on top of it all...i forgets my chariot....it was a long loneyl night up in the tree....but by Dawn they were all gone....and I was able to come back down adn get home safely...

I think once a memeber here even described this with his poetic words....and another in a song...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=53722&songID=6077450 ........PEAC EOUT
ß
ß
■
o

hahaha i'm owned.

Actually the poem was a cosmic revelation and yours was a dream.

That must have been a heartbreaking experience. The great thing about being able to identify with an album like still life is, aside from obviously not feeling as "alone," the content itself is so deep that it demands you trudge its muddy waters more than once.

Anyway I have another story that just occurred, otherwise I would have shared it in my last post, instead of being a thread hog, anyhoo:

My ex bf listens to Techno music now. Oonsa-oonsa, lets go to the hair salon, get shit-faced, take some E, TECHNO.

Now I must cleanse myself with several hours of Opeth followed by the most brutal thing I have on my ipod, likely Devourment, and then some good self-reflection time.

Tear

I remember when I first ran away from home. It was a year ago. When I went far enough, some miles away, I realized I was alone in the pitch darkness. Nothing was around, other than a few stores, but since I live in a community within a forest, everything that surrounded me was the forest itself. I decided to go back home, and I had my music with me. I never gave Orchid a listen, and I played it from start to finish. My God, it fit ALL my feelings. How lost I was. The poetic way that the lyrics represented confusion, and while being lost, how I wished to be in another world, where I would have no reason to run away from home. I ran away because my truest lover was separated from me by my parents. I got mad at them, and I ran faaar away. Under The Weeping Moon fit the night atmosphere and how spooky it was when everything was clad by shadows, and an endless road. By Silhoutte, it described the darkness and forests around me, and still, how lost I was. Forest of October described the how lost I was and really, just how silent the forest was "while I depart" (see, it fit perfectly.. wow).

When The Twilight Is My Robe played, I was already feeling overwhelmed by the darkness and loneliness i suffered. I felt like wanting to die out there. And the song just soothed me because it fit my mood.

After The Apostle in Triumph, I felt soo relieved. Like I could fly far away from here, and just be with my lover. Where I am happy. Where I am complete as a person.

Gosh those moments made me LOVE Opeth forever.

I had to go to one of my brothers funerals, and made a compilation of opeth tracks for myself.
They really helped me to reflect.
I also did learn Still Day Beneath The Sun as a kinda tribute to the memory.
I cant play or listen to it now though.

Sick story.. If you are not liked by her family why do you insist on going from the start? Else if they are acting like that suddenly then they have mental problems which means good riddance, and if a girl is not following you then it was not the suitable life partner anyways.