Suggestions for music assessment songs.

Nov 9, 2005
I'm taking music this year, and my group and solo performances didn't work out that well seeing as I took more time trying to decide on songs than actually practicing.
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Studio and the only pedal I have is The Big Muff,
a Squier Bass, a 6 string Ibanez acoustic, and a Seagull 12 string acoustic.
So far I've come up with a couple
Neil Young - Heart of Gold (solo or group)
Opeth - Harvest
David Bowie - Space Oddity, Rebel Rebel, Ziggy Stardust.

I'd really like to cover Opeth, but a lot of the songs are a little above my level gear-wise.
I'd like to use the 12 string in both solo and group performances.
SO PLEASE HELP ME OUT AND SUGGEST SOME SONGS!

Forest-of-October said:
The thing is, a lot of the songs you've chosen aren't metal songs. Are you trying to stay away from that, or is that accepeted?

I don't really have the distortion, but I may be able to borrow it.
I've been thinking about Closure for a very long time, but there is distortion issues in that when the electric guitar comes in, do you think some parts could be changed?

You're right. Me and my friend covered it the other night, it doesnt sound as good with out the distortion but it still works. Just come up with a build up for it I guess. That one distorted bit (the outro) is quite an epic bit so that might help it. Kind of like the Lamentations version

The album version of the song isn't all that heavily distorted anyhow though, so either way it wouldnt be bad.

Forest-of-October said:
You're right. Me and my friend covered it the other night, it doesnt sound as good with out the distortion but it still works. Just come up with a build up for it I guess. That one distorted bit (the outro) is quite an epic bit so that might help it. Kind of like the Lamentations version

The album version of the song isn't all that heavily distorted anyhow though, so either way it wouldnt be bad.

Yes I think Closure is a definite for the group performance, thanks
I may be able to find some distortion that is similar from someone else but I'm not sure, it should work out.
Now, I've still got my solo to decide.