Summer Camp '10: the road to a new album begins!

wow, 20 minutes? that would be awesome. and tuomas saying that his song will sound like some hans zimmer work makes me think of a real masterpiece!

http://www.facebook.com/nightwish

NIGHTWISH SUMMER CAMP DIARY (week 32)

Author: Nightwish Date: Aug 15. 2010 Time: 11:47

When checking the pictures from our summer camp, one might think that it's all about fishing, watersports and boozing. That's actually mostly true... but we have gotten something done here musicwise too! And hey, we never said this is a music camp, it's a SUMMER CAMP!!! =)

Last weekend Marco abandoned us three here to take care of his responsibilities with Tarot and Northern Kings. We decided to rehearse the last piece, a monster of a song and to go through parts of the other songs that we yet didn't feel 100% satisfied with. We came up with plenty of little tricks that bring some needed final edge to the songs; some overlong fills, little breaks and some little time signature changes. The last song turned out to be a great tune that would have enough parts for three full songs, but which still forms a tight entirety of fast riffing, slow, beautiful mood and heavy-duty-rhythm.

On Monday we took a day off and headed to the lake with a professional fishing team. You've probably already seen some of the catches from the picture section. It's encouraging to see that fishing is not just a matter of good luck. Knowledge and the gear has a big effect on the results. But of course, to catch a real big one you need a little blessing from above...

On Thursday we went to see a baseball match of KIPA-90, our local pride. The team played really well, but unfortunately the opponent was slightly better. It's already the end of the season and at the very moment of writing this diary the last game ended in defeat so for us the season is over. But the team showed great potential and hopefully next year we hold the cup.

On the weekend we had some friends coming over, including Sami Vänskä and we spent a weekend full of watersports, darts and laughter. The best activity being seated in a "doughnut"and going with full speed behind the boat. You know it's real good when fun and pure terror meet in a midway... I also finally got myself to try water skiing with just one water ski, and to everybody's surprise I nailed it on a first try! What a mighty feeling it was! JIHAA!!!

Now we are taking time off until Thursday. Once in a while it's good to take some distance to the songs to have a fresh view.

Take care now, bye bye then!

Jukka

TOP 5 / Week 5

1. The mighty sportsman with just one ski!!!
2. Taking over the last song
3. Fishing trip with the pros
4. Feeding Harri "The camp spider"
5. Ruska - lingonberry wine - for exquisite taste!

NIGHTWISH SUMMER CAMP DIARY (week 33)

Author: Nightwish Date: Aug 26. 2010 Time 0:00

Well, there hasn`t been happening that much since the last time Jukka posted the blog. We decided to take a 4-day break from rehearsing the songs `cause there isn`t much we can do to them anymore. Even though every time we dive into them something small comes up; new drum fill here, a new bass line there, new orchestral arrangement hook somewhere, etc. It`s just that we`ve been rehearsing and toying with the songs so much (gotta believe it, just look at the photos of this blog) that everyone here`s having a bloat.

Also since Marco is busy doing his own things until tomorrow and Anette not joining the camp until in 2 weeks, there wasn`t much else for us three to do than..

...To form a new band called The Myötähäpeä. This amazing group of mind-blowing virtuosity combined with a versatile repertoire includes such names as Heikki Kovalainen of F1 Lotus (http://www.facebook.com/Heikki.Kovalainen.Official.Fan.Page) on the drums, and Mr. Toni Virtanen (http://www.facebook.com/apulanta?ref=search) on the vocals. Jukka took over the keys, whereas Emppu and me swapped between guitar and bass to make it a real challenge. Jamppa Lautamäki of the Nightwish website-fame filled the first open backing vocals - position, but there`s still room for more behind the mics. Our setlist now consists of two classics of two bands we`ve been fans of forever (Sukset by Popeda & For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica) but with an intro & outro, Toni`s magnificent speaks in between the songs, a bass solo and fireworks we will be able to put up a fantastic full-lenth rock show anytime, anywhere.

Well, we still have that ballad to rehearse, there`s nothing like seeing a lighter-sea of 80000 people swaying gently to "Nothing Else Matters" or "Winds Of Change".

Check out the video of our first ever rehearsals below. Not quite on the level of the originals, but at least we had fun!

VIDEO:

Heikki & the gang had to leave on Sunday morning but Toni stayed with us for another fishing- and poker-filled day. He fell in love with this place, and might be joining us later on for some songwriting sessions. Maybe the upcoming Apulanta - tunes will have their breeding here..?

After introducing Heikki to the decadent world of bandlife and rock `n roll it was his turn to throw us the bait. He had arranged a chance to try out KF2 & KF3 cart racing vehicles in the track of Ylämylly. A horrendously fantastic experience! A surprisingly physical sport, too. Jukka was by far the best driver of us, timing unbelievable lap times in pouring rain. Emppu and Toni also did ok but I was more of a yellow-bellied plug on the track, losing 20sec per lap to Jukka due to the imprisonment in my own survival instinct.

Anyway, it was a great day and a wonderful, new experience! A huge thanks goes to Heikki, Jani and Hästis for organizing this, and for the 2 mechanics, Mikko & Janne who took care of us on the track.

Back to the camp, diving back into the Nightwish songs with fresh fuel in our tanks. There`s been one song which has been giving us loads of trouble during the past weeks. I feel it has great potential but somehow it just doesn`t work as it should. On Tuesday morning we finally nailed it, giving it a whole new guitar / synth riff with a touch of Van Halen and that was the cure. I also rewrote and simplified the lyrics to the chorus. A song / album is never fully ready, you just have to stop your journey at some scenic place and enjoy the view.

Autumn is here, enjoy the change & take care everyone!

Tuomas

Top 5 / Week 6

1. The Myötähäpeä
2. Cart Racing with those machines from hell
3. That one bad riff finally cured
4. Matti Ijäs: Katsastus (for the 100th time)
5. Timo Rautiainen: En oo keittäny enkä myyny

Last edited by a moderator:
Anette has traveled to to Finland accompanied by her bf and baby. At the summer camp studio she will work with Tuomas and Tero the Caveman in order to record her vocals on the demo tracks. Not too many people know how essential part Tero is (and has been) in creating the distictive Nightwish sound. He has been there behind the recording desk from day one and IMO can be recognized as the 6th member of the band.

This is a quote from Anette's blog:

Tuesday, 7 September 2010
Finland

Yesterday evening we finally entered the NW camp which nowadays only includes Tuomas, Tero and the three of us. This week we´ll do the vocal recordings of the demo and today we have taken it easy. I have just practised the songs by myself, resting after the long trip and now this evening everyone is sitting here chilling. Playing games, surfing the net and watching TV. Easy and relaxed;=)

Tomorrow morning we start with the first song and it has lots of lyrics so let´s see if I get it together nicely;=)

Enjoy your evening and good night from the woods!

BTW. Marco took off to the Americas first time ever with Tarot this week. They will be playing in Atlanta, GA at the sold out ProgPower XI festival this Saturday and will continue touring in to Mexico and South America.

The actual recording sessions with each band member will start in Finland in mid October as previously informed, the orchestra and choir recordings will happen in London sometime in Feb - March. After that Anette will record the final vocals for the CD.

Anette has finished her vocal recording for the demo and they're done. Next phase will be beginnign of the actual recording sessions in a studio. This is what the band's management told Bravewords.com this weekend at ProgPowerUSA in Atlanta when they were there on tour with Tarot:

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/146228
NIGHTWISH - Demo Complete, Next Album Soon Underway

Hot Flashes
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2010 at 18:15:29 EST

Management exclusively confirmed to BraveWords.com today the schedule for the upcoming album. The demo is already completed and drums will be recorded before the end of the year. A London, UK orchestra has been booked into the studio for February 2011, with an anticipated release no earlier than the Fall, probably later in '11.

...and here is the last post from the Nightwish Summer Camp 2010 by Anette:

NIGHTWISH SUMMER CAMP DIARY (The end of it)

author: Nightwish date: Sept 13. 2010 time 4:20

So, this week I finally came to the camp site to do some vocal recordings for our demo. Me, Johan and our baby arrived late Monday and it was a very long trip to get here from home. I didn´t want to fly with the little one so we drove up to Stockholm which takes 6 hours, then the ferry from Sweden to Finland for 17 hours and finally driving here in Finland for 6 hours. Puih, quite a trip but worth it;=)

When we came to the camp we were greeted by Emppu and Tuomas and it was so nice to see the guys again. It´s been a long time since we did the show in Hartwall where we met the last time. The other guys, Marco and Jukka, are in America so they were unfortunately already gone.

The first day here, Emppu recorded his last guitars and then he drove back home after being here 2 months and I just rested after the long journey and enjoying the beautiful place. The camp is deep in the forests and lying so incredibly beautiful with a big lake to look out over where the sunsets are just amazing. All the colours are there when the sun goes down - purple, yellow, white, blue, pink, orange... and now autumn is slowly coming so the trees are changing their leaves and it´s a perfect temperature for sitting out by the fire in the evenings. And we also have a little pet here, a tiny "house-mouse" to keep us company.

Wednesday morning we started my recordings and we have recorded 3 songs per day and 2 the last day. All in all 4 days to record all the songs. Ever since I got the very first instrumental demo Tuomas made I have felt that this album will be something very special. The songs and themes Tuomas has put together are really varied, interesting and there are elements that haven´t been used before. Still it´s Nightwish and also going back to some roots from earlier albums. Vocally for me it´s much more varied since I use my voice in more different aspects than in DPP. Tuomas for sure knows my voice and range now.

We have also done some barbecuing, the boys have been fishing, I have watched a good movie Tuomas recommended - The Martyrs. Disturbing and as usual I got so scared that I woke up a couple of times that night and heard sounds everywhere;=) We have also had friends visiting and the week has gone far too fast. Having my baby with me when being here has worked really well and he has been so kind and charming the whole time. Good boy!

Now I really long to hear how the album will come together with the orchestra, choirs etc, and already now I feel I long to do my actual vocal recordings which will be done in March next year.

Take good care everyone!

Anette

Awesome! That's what I want to hear! ;) :)

Seriously. I've said it before, and although it might strike some as blasphemy, I see DPP as Anette's AFF (and not just cause of the acronym scheme :p). That is to say, a starter album where they are finding themselves (again). Now that they are comfortable and understand each other much better, musically speaking, I am hopeful that the forthcoming album could be Anette's Oceanborn (that is to say a classic and a fan favorite. just perhaps with a new era of fan).

Yep, you have said that since the very first days of DPP and I definitely agree with you, since, like AFF was written before Tuomas clearly understood the range and limits of Tarja's voice, so DPP was written before Anette was even part of the dynamic. So it only stands to reason that after 2 years of touring together, hearing what she is capable of and what she's not, no doubt Tuomas has constructed something more suitable to her voice, and who knows? Maybe those who were turned off by DPP might actually find new appreciation for Anette's voice too. ;)

Hej friends!

My new blog www.annelin-maailma.blogspot.com is online since two weeks and I have already posted two themes there where you can discuss/comment. It´s about Tarja´s new album "WLB" and the other one is about all Nightwish albums they have made so far and I would like to know what you think about Tarja´s new album and/or which is for you the best Nightwish album and your favourite songs.

I´d be glad if you like my blog and you maybe follow me on blogspot/twitter/facebook/youtube. :)

Terveisiä from eastern Finland!

The work with arrangements of the new material and recording a demo CD which was done at the Summer Camp has been completed with mixing the tracks.

Anette told in her blog that she received a copy of the finished demo CD yesterday (Oct 1.) and she had it spinning all the evening.

As we have seen, the Camp did not only concentrate on serious business, but also produced lots of entertaining pictures and videoclips which the band so graciously shared with us.

The latest videoclip from the Summer Camp was uploaded yesterday to the band's official Youtube channel. IMO it's real gem, just plain awesomeness!

It's Marco singing "Planet Caravan" (Black Sabbath) as a lullaby to Jukka's baby daughter. How sweet is that! Metal! :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator: