Suppressed Metal?

:lol: Ptah, I've experienced similar reactions for my dislike of Necrophagist, Dragonforce and other excessively technical bands with little else to offer. It always makes me wonder... what makes people think they can adequately judge so much about a person based on their opinion on one band?

Demilich said:
It always makes me wonder... what makes people think they can adequately judge so much about a person based on their opinion on one band?

In the opposite sense, quite a lot. For example, a person who experiences Dragonforce and isnt left with profoundly critical thoughts and feelings is not someone I want to be around- their entire thinking process, or lack of it, is fucked (and we can demonstrate its fucked-ness :lol: by the volume)

Demilich said:
I have written an extensive undergraduate-level paper on the music industry in which I examine the similarities between the culture industry...

Did someone read their Adorno? :err:

(BTW, the guy is an ass, irrespective of his thinking on the topic)

I wonder why no one has challenged me on my statement that the music industy prefers that metal is more about satanism and less about paganism. What does that mean regarding the Satanism in songs by such bands as Bathory or Black Sabbath?

I'll answer this hypothetical question.

The music industry sees paganism as being dangerous and unacceptable because if people en mass start being romantic about past, uncivilised times, and start respecting and valuing their racial ancestry, this is not conducive to living by the rules of modern society. If too many people think this way it would run counter to the new world order.

Bands who have used satanic lyrics and imagery seem to have done so for artistic reasons or using satan as a metaphore. While it is now a big cliche, Sabbath were originators of this idea. They made it clear they were not real satanists at all, merely putting on a show.

The Christian church likes satanism because it keeps them in business, as Anton La Vey himself admitted. The music industry likes the satanic imagery in metal because it is not pagan (even though much of satanism is derived from paganism, but is an insult to it) and because they prefer metal to be seen as a vacuous form of rebellion for teenagers, or as entertainment for anyone else.

By now, with obvious examples like Cradle of Filth, all bands must know this and are playing into the hands of the record industry if they compose such songs. It would be naive not to be aware.

(Bathory, of course, changed from playing satanic themed music to Viking metal, and were a formative influence on the genre).

Justin S. said:
Did someone read their Adorno? :err:

(BTW, the guy is an ass, irrespective of his thinking on the topic)

My paper was in response to Adorno's "On Popular Music." I was highly critical of him, and got a B+, which is fine considering the 2 days of effort I put into it and the amount of weed I smoked over those days :loco: Such was the story of my school year.

Norsemaiden said:
I wonder why no one has challenged me on my statement that the music industy prefers that metal is more about satanism and less about paganism.
Noone's challenged it, because it's true. Ever since fucking Marylim Manson became a priest of the Satanist church, Satanism's been the "In" thing in metal in America.

Norsemaiden said:
Do you agree that certain types of music are hyped by the media (eg rap and hiphop) more than others, which are suppressed (eg. metal and classical) and given less attention despite their actual (and potential) popularity?

Is part of the reason metal bands are so prevalent in Scandinavia something to do with the way their media has allowed it to flourish there, or is it purely something inherent in the Scandinavian character? (Both IMO)

There's probably numerous reasons for this. I'll suggest a few:-

Maintstream radio and video only generally play 3-5 minute songs due to rotational requirements based on sponsorship by record companies. Therefore, if your song is over this requisite period of time, its probably not going to get played...hence, alot of metal is out.

Many nightclubs and bars wouldn't consider putting say Morbid Angels Domination on becauase fierce double bass, blast beats and growled vocals are not condusive to keeping the average patron and selling $6 scotch and cokes. I'm not a musician so I don't know if Morbid Angel actually use blast beats. Its not really easy to sway rythmically on the dance floor and attract a potential mate by whispering sweet words when say, Jens Kidman is barking through the speakers. This defeats the purpose of why most people go to dance clubs in my opinion. Metal is not generally good for parties, as you usually need to pay attention to the music to appreciate it, whereas if Hip Hop is playing, you can just boogy with the beat and go about your party business. If you've not noticed, much mainstream music marketing is based on musics association with paryting.

from the mainstream point of view, alcohol go's with parties which go with music which equals money...they have to find a combination which suits and I'm sorry but highly technical or emotive forms of extreme music or classical music probably doesn't hold a place.

For mine, I'm glad extreme music is kind of sidelined, cause that way, it can just be mine. kind of.

Ptah Khnemu said:
Noone's challenged it, because it's true. Ever since fucking Marylim Manson became a priest of the Satanist church, Satanism's been the "In" thing in metal in America.

Seems true.

metal is too outspoken and full of freedom of ideas and spirituality to be taken in by the media.

We don't like them and they definitely have no use for us.:Smokin:

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but there's a reason most people hate metal - it just isn't pleasant or easy to listen to. I think you'll find just as many people dislike more obscure classical or romantic era music for the same reason, although they won't admit it: because it takes much time and effort to enjoy. People want music where they can sit back and relax or dance while listening and can enjoy the aesthetics rather than the content. My enjoyment of metal comes from understanding the sometimes complicated, strange or abstract themes and musicianship - I can't explain why, but it seems to give rise to, broaden or interact with thoughts I have in the same way any new experience in life does but in a way that is unique. The fact that on first or even subsequent listens it isn't aesthetically pleasant is a plus for me because it means that if you enjoy listening to it, you must be enjoying the actual content and not the appearance or sound of the music, which can rarely be said for most other kinds of modern music. I suppose this sets it apart from some classical/baroque - there've been actual studies done which show Mozart or Bach relaxes the body and mind, potentially a reason that many people list those composers as their favorites alongside Creed and Busta Rhymes.

Norsemaiden said:
The music industry sees paganism as being dangerous and unacceptable because if people en mass start being romantic about past, uncivilised times, and start respecting and valuing their racial ancestry, this is not conducive to living by the rules of modern society. If too many people think this way it would run counter to the new world order.

I hardly think music industry thinks things on such an ideological level. They prefer to think about money and Satan sells better.

The fact is that western culture is christian. Satan sells better than paganism for this single reason. It's part of christianity, it's something every christian kid knows from what they've been taught as a kid. Satan is the official bad guy that you're not supposed to be dealing with and that attracts the "rebellious" teenage crowd and cash. Paganism isn't perceived as such an anti-force for everything. It's more or less just "some historic stuff" and doesn't bring up equally strong emotions in most people. Satan is something people know = Satan sells = Satan is ok.

Satanism sells better because in Satanism, there isn't much restriction on anything. And it's a rebellion against conventional Christianity. Taking those into consideration, and applying the fact that most people desire freedom and rebellion, how could Satanism not sell?

Aarohi said:
I have a friend whom I gave an audio file too. The file was Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' played backwards, which is supposed to have a satanic message hidden in it. She accepted the file, and I told her what it was.

I said, "Did you give it a listen? What do you think?"

She said, "No RJ. To be honest, shit like that scares me. I'll get nightmares at night".

The other day, I asked another friend of mine about her favourite bands, and she says "Matchbox Twenty, Coldplay, Radiohead...". I asked if she likes any metal, and she goes "No I don't listen to that. Its Satanic music."

People run away from metal or 'dark music' (general perception) because its the oppositte of what their religions tell them is right. The lyrical and musical themes conflict with what is and has been the foundation of our soceity. Religion.

We have a population of people who are passive and fear power as "oppressive". Metalheads are not usually passive and rather than fear power, admire it in the form of sound at least.