Symphonic/Melodic Black Metal

Cool, thanks for the recommendations people, been a great help :)

Yeah i have material by Satyricon, Ulver and Lunaris as well, all good stuff. To the Old Man's Child questions, well ive only got in defiance of existence, its pretty good. The reason im not interested in Dimmu is well im pretty sick of hearing them really, them and Cradle of Filth are on every corpse painted 15 year old's t-shirts. I think crimsonfloyd put the descriptions of the band very well though.

Worm-Infested... Ive only got "The Symmetry of I, The Circle of O". Are their other releases along the same vein?

ELend- its the only band up there that really just plays dark symphonic music, without the need of metal. Try the Umbersun, I know you will like it.

Wound said:
Props to whoever said Nargaroth.. although not that melodic, hah.

And Graveworm rules.. they are interested in playing shows with our band! \m/
Graveworm and Tristania can make a man's night I say, just pop some of that shit in and you are golden.
Nargaroth is melodic, its just a bit more layered in there (sorta like Ulver's Natten's Madrigal). Try the song "...Und Ich Sah Sonn' Nimmer Heben" for a very melodic Nagaroth song (though the Herbstleyd is their most brilliant collection)...

Yes Graveworm and Tristania both rule, that'd be awesome if you got to play with GW.

None so vile:

aO's first two albums are both equally great, they should be listened one after the other. their 3rd album takes a heavier approach, adds more techno-synth, and pretty much loses the traditional black metal feel. their last album is basically all of the techno-synth stuff, with some noise, and less complex but harsh guitars. the vocals dont really change except they do get weirder. oh and try to find the aO vs. bloodthorn split, their best song is on there (100 meters final) i recommend all their music

You people are really thorough, I kept think of bands to name, but the further down I scrolled, the more of them I saw listed. I find Barathrum's Legions of Perkele to be relatively melodic, though it is somewhat abrasive at the same time.